Klarus Mi1C TI/ CU (OLight S1 Mini Baton Compeditor)

Getflashed

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, showing my support again for a small YouTube channel by posting up their review. This one is for the new Klarus Mi1C TI/ CU, its basically a Mi1C with a (much preferred IMO) orange peel reflector and titanium or copper body. This or the S1 Mini Baton....?

YouTube Review -
https://youtu.be/dCYMj7yajSM

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd posted about the Mi1C when it first came out... it's actually .15" smaller than the s1 mini, pretty impressive.

For me, one of the differences...
The UI is always the big thing for me, since I"m picky about it. I'm going from memory here, so could be wrong, but if I remember right, a substantive difference in UI model:
- Olight: Click for on or off, press-and-hold to change levels
- Klarus: Click to change levels, press-and-hold for off

If that's true, it's the Olight that works better for the way I use a light, it would drive me crazy to press-and-hold for off, given I turn on and off (at the same level) often...

Getflashed

Newly Enlightened
Your right OLight has the best interface. But this is a solid light when you get your head around it. That XP-HI emitter and orange peel reflector has a really nice beam. It's good to see some throw back in pocket lights since you TIR lens became popular recently.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your right OLight has the best interface. But this is a solid light when you get your head around it. That XP-HI emitter and orange peel reflector has a really nice beam. It's good to see some throw back in pocket lights since you TIR lens became popular recently.

Definitely agree it's nice to have throw options. Plus, there might be some people -- for example, psychopaths, or perhaps people who took too much molly -- for whom ease of mode-switching is more important than ease of turning the light on and off :)

More seriously, something I've never understood: I thought a TIR could be designed to support just about any beam profile, it's just a matter of doing the curves right... I don't understand why TIR always seems to mean smooth flood, can't they in theory focus tightly, too?

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
Definitely agree it's nice to have throw options. Plus, there might be some people -- for example, psychopaths, or perhaps people who took too much molly -- for whom ease of mode-switching is more important than ease of turning the light on and off :)

More seriously, something I've never understood: I thought a TIR could be designed to support just about any beam profile, it's just a matter of doing the curves right... I don't understand why TIR always seems to mean smooth flood, can't they in theory focus tightly, too?

I have a real old LED Lenser with a TIR that's very tight compared to the Olight. So it can be done. I really like the wide even flood the mini has. A pocket light the size of these aren't going to throw far anyway. Options are nice though, but buyer beware because the other color Klarus has that dollar store convex lens to create that aweful flood beam, but that might be someone else's preference.

UI was my deal maker for the Olight. I can instantly get high, instantly get moon or instantly get memorized medium mode I mostly use mine at. Super simple UI. I'm not taking digs at the Klarus, I'm sure it would be a great light for me but the Klarus just didn't compete well enough for my personal preferences to get it over the Olight. It is the perfect option for users (or even collectors) who don't like TIR.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Klarus Mi1C TI/ CU, ... with a... orange peel reflector and titanium or copper body. This or the S1 Mini Baton....?

Im very tempted by Copper lights.

Klarus Mi1c:
Is the lens plastic or glass?
Does the optic work with a Nichia?
I like that the light has battery power level indicator, the Olight does not.
Klarus copper has low battery indicator and USB battery, Olight Copper does not.
I like click to advance, dislike hold to advance. I don't need a shortcut to turbo, I mostly use small lights indoors.
Pocket clip can be rotated, the Olight cannot.
It is ugly, too many textures, fins, pineapples, and nuts. The Olight has much better Feng Shui.
I like the clip better than on the Olight, which is too big
The low on the Klarus is stated as 1 lumen, vs the Olight stated at 0.5, but I would wait for a review to confirm.
Klarus has no neutral and no High CRI, the aluminum SMini is offered in High CRI, and the TiSmini comes in NW
Wondering if the Klarus has any Flicker, the Olight has
maukka said:

Klarus Mi1c and SMini similarities:
Both have clips that work on a hat.
Both have double click to strobe
the aluminum SMini has low battery warning and USB cell, like the Klarus_

fwiw, the Cu and Ti Olight SMini are on sale 30% off w code blacknovember at illumn.com

afaict, the Copper Klarus is not in stock yet, and it costs $15 more than the Cu SMini on sale. And if you like rainbow Ti, the Olight is gorgeous and offers a NW option (low cri)

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
To the OP, and for everyone's future reference- Linking to an off-forum review with little or no other content can be considered shilling or advertising, and has been closed or deleted in the past. Supporting a small youtube channel is admirable, but do it with views, not links, please. I'll let this and your one other like it stand for now, but please be aware and don't post like this going forward.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Scout24,
Thanks for the reminder and for the time you and the other moderators put in.

I have been waiting forever for my M1C, and it is finally on the last leg of it's journey. I plan on buying the Copper version soon also. I have quite a few Olights, as I have been using their UI for years and find it very easy to use and intuitive. I have a few of the Klarus 14500 lights and the UI is just not intuitive to me. When I have the S-Mini & the M1C in Copper, I will check back in...

Getflashed

Newly Enlightened
To the OP, and for everyone's future reference- Linking to an off-forum review with little or no other content can be considered shilling or advertising, and has been closed or deleted in the past. Supporting a small youtube channel is admirable, but do it with views, not links, please. I'll let this and your one other like it stand for now, but please be aware and don't post like this going forward.

Thanks scout24! Appreciate your leniency on this one and will ensure future video reviews are either accompanied by a written review or otherwise not posted. Great mod's really make a great forum!:D

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered the Copper oLight s mini, per link above. Im hoping to have it modified with parts from an S1 Mini High CRI plus a Nichia LED swap..
27145087289_574f39fc63_z.jpg

for those interested in the Klarus,
there is a discount code here

I like that the S Mini has twice as bright a medium mode, and half as bright a moonlight, than the Mi1c.

I am concerned that the beam of the Klarus is twice as wide as the oLight, and is getting bad press. If anyone owns both lights, I will be interested to hear your first hand thoughts on the beams usefulness.