LED life question

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that turning an incandescent light on and off takes a little bit of life each time due to thermal shock. I also know that each on cycle on a fluorescent light shortens the life of the ballast a little. My question is, does every on/off cycle on an led shorten its life by any appreciable amount?
The reason I ask is because all of the lights in the apartment I just moved into have CFLs in them. One burned out, and I replaced it with an led 'bulb'. It is over the kitchen sink, and thus isn't used that much. If I turn it on while working there, then leave knowing I am returning in 15 minutes or so, should I leave it on or turn it off, then back on when I come back?

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
I know that turning an incandescent light on and off takes a little bit of life each time due to thermal shock. I also know that each on cycle on a fluorescent light shortens the life of the ballast a little. My question is, does every on/off cycle on an led shorten its life by any appreciable amount?
The reason I ask is because all of the lights in the apartment I just moved into have CFLs in them. One burned out, and I replaced it with an led 'bulb'. It is over the kitchen sink, and thus isn't used that much. If I turn it on while working there, then leave knowing I am returning in 15 minutes or so, should I leave it on or turn it off, then back on when I come back?

Unless the bulb has an underlying manufacturing or design defect, then turning an LED bulb on/off repeatedly is not an issue. For all practical purposes, it should not be an issue.