HDS and McGizmo

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
After all the talk of a Titanium HDS, it looks like it not happening. What about a Don and Henry collaboration? In my option they're probably some of the smartest, if not the two smartest, in the flashlight game. I'd pay big bucks for a light they design and build together.

zeroair

Newly Enlightened
I would fully support [another light I won't be able to afford].

scout24

Flashaholic
Line forms back there, fella... :) Haiku with the HDS driver? I'd say "One, please" but don't think I'd stop there.

moltenmag

Enlightened
Finally... It would be my first and last McGizmo. The HDS Rotary Haiku... The flashlight for every occasion. The Rolex Submariner of the flashlight world. The flashlight that ends all collections... well at least for a good while...

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really great idea, but in reality, how many "supergroups" have ever really been successful?

Think about the production operations of both of these flashlight builders...not trying to spoil this fantasy thread, but I'd say there's zero chance of this happening.

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really great idea, but in reality, how many "supergroups" have ever really been successful?

Think about the production operations of both of these flashlight builders...not trying to spoil this fantasy thread, but I'd say there's zero chance of this happening.

Happens often in the custom knife world, two makers get together and design a knife, each having equal input until they settle on a final design.

Other option is to have a custom maker team up with a production company. Imagine a limited edition Schneiker or Mcleish design Zebralight for $175.

Last edited:

Dio

Newly Enlightened
Happens often in the custom knife world, two makers get together and design a knife, each having equal input until they settle on a final design.

Other option is to have a custom maker team up with a production company. Imagine a limited edition Schneiker or Mcleish design Zebralight for $175.

Or just imagine a USA made Zebralight... the people who like to shun any light made on foreign soil would likely be put in their place with far superior electronics and performance.

Not to poo poo on your parade but it really is a bit of a joke how high praise seems to be reserved [by many here anyway] for the U.S. made lights even if they, technically speaking, are behind the times compred to the modern electronics included in many other makers lights.

Yeah, I'm being serious BTW. I own over a dozen Zebras and recently began to experiment with Malkoff, Surefire and Elzetta. Yeah, some of those are overbuilt so durability could be better than a ZL but in terms of efficiency, I find the ZL eclipse all those brands without even trying.

Malkoff M6* run way way hotter than a ZL at equivalent output levels and for much shorter duration.

Elzetta are [seemingly - time will tell] built like tanks but they're not much different to Malkoffs in that they run hot and don't seem to be the most efficient lights available. Then there are the bogus claims with the Alpha that it puts out 315 lumens on a CR123 and from what I recall, are mentioned to put out nearly double the output with a Li-ion. I either got a dud, or the reviewer has exaggerated their claims as mine barely rivals a SC53Fw which runs off a damn eneloop...... The elzetta has the flood optic and the ZL is frosted lens and BOTH seemingly have near identical beam shape so either the optic has major losses, my sample is a dud or......Elzetta specs and a certain reviewer have made false claims...

Don't even get me started on SF. The E1D I own has failed. It no longer has a low mode, it flashes at its former level then dims completely to a state with no visible output within 3 seconds. High works fine still but I wont use that piece of junk anymore. I have no use for a 2 mode light with only one functional mode.

So go ahead and keep dreaming of this fantasy light that will likely never be produced and even if it was, it would likely be 10 times the price of a far superior light anyway. I guess it may look better but thats purely sibjective anyway..

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to poo poo on your parade but it really is a bit of a joke how high praise seems to be reserved for the U.S. made lights even if they, technically speaking, are behind the times compred to the modern electronics included in many other makers lights.

I don't know where you're coming from but apparently you don't know where my parade is to poop on it. At one time I've owned 13 Zebras and I have lights from the UAE and and wherever Tain is from that I spent hundreds on. Maybe the mention of two US based flashlight geniuses triggered this (albeit correct) tirade, but I'm going to stop it right here.

Normally I'd ignore an irrelevant post like this but CPF seems to get distracted easily and I'm enjoying this thread too much to allow it to turn into a beatdown on the Domestic vs Import dead horse.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or just imagine a USA made Zebralight... the people who like to shun any light made on foreign soil would likely be put in their place with far superior electronics and performance.

Not to poo poo on your parade but it really is a bit of a joke how high praise seems to be reserved [by many here anyway] for the U.S. made lights even if they, technically speaking, are behind the times compred to the modern electronics included in many other makers lights.

Yeah, I'm being serious BTW. I own over a dozen Zebras and recently began to experiment with Malkoff, Surefire and Elzetta. Yeah, some of those are overbuilt so durability could be better than a ZL but in terms of efficiency, I find the ZL eclipse all those brands without even trying.

Malkoff M6* run way way hotter than a ZL at equivalent output levels and for much shorter duration.

Elzetta are [seemingly - time will tell] built like tanks but they're not much different to Malkoffs in that they run hot and don't seem to be the most efficient lights available. Then there are the bogus claims with the Alpha that it puts out 315 lumens on a CR123 and from what I recall, are mentioned to put out nearly double the output with a Li-ion. I either got a dud, or the reviewer has exaggerated their claims as mine barely rivals a SC53Fw which runs off a damn eneloop...... The elzetta has the flood optic and the ZL is frosted lens and BOTH seemingly have near identical beam shape so either the optic has major losses, my sample is a dud or......Elzetta specs and a certain reviewer have made false claims...

Don't even get me started on SF. The E1D I own has failed. It no longer has a low mode, it flashes at its former level then dims completely to a state with no visible output within 3 seconds. High works fine still but I wont use that piece of junk anymore. I have no use for a 2 mode light with only one functional mode.

So go ahead and keep dreaming of this fantasy light that will likely never be produced and even if it was, it would likely be 10 times the price of a far superior light anyway. I guess it may look better but thats purely sibjective anyway..

Quite the rant there but hey.

Anyway, I have a few zebralights and their UI pretty much sucks and tints are hit or miss. I find I tolerate the UI more on headlamps than hand helds. They do have redeeming features but are far from the be all end all.

On topic, I have several HDS and McGizmo and have no desire to combine the two.
I'm a Haiku purist, I don't want a triple jammed into one or crazy amps etc. The 3S 119V is the best small edc light out there.
I also really like the HDS clicky which could easily be argued to tie with or better the Haiku, basically both are excellent.
What makes these lights great is what it is and that's why they're so great.
I like modding lights and modded lights but don't want to see a Frankenstein Haiku HDS, at most an LED swap is as far as I'd subject them to. I completely understand why there'd be interest in combining the two best out there though.
This has been raised a few times that I've read of and I'm sure it'll come up again but in reality I can't see the two coming together.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
You folks (Not Dio, whose off-tppic posts are being asked to stop) are missing the point with the Haiku- Keep it a clicky! As much as I love my Rotaries, the HDS Clicky has so much built into it function-wise. Everyone seems to forget that. And, no new machining would be required, depending on the size of Henry's driver. Tana is already making Haiku triples with zero modifications to the Haiku head that use a new driver and are completely reversible. I just want all of the Clicky functions and programmability with as little disruptipn to the Haiku form factor as possible. Going with a "Rotary Haiku" you also run into the tailcap/pocketclip issue...

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
You folks (Not Dio, whose off-tppic posts are being asked to stop) are missing the point with the Haiku- Keep it a clicky! As much as I love my Rotaries, the HDS Clicky has so much built into it function-wise. Everyone seems to forget that. And, no new machining would be required, depending on the size of Henry's driver. Tana is already making Haiku triples with zero modifications to the Haiku head that use a new driver and are completely reversible. I just want all of the Clicky functions and programmability with as little disruptipn to the Haiku form factor as possible. Going with a "Rotary Haiku" you also run into the tailcap/pocketclip issue...

I'm more with scout here. Tana does some excellent work, and being able to get a H17F in there with the stock clicky opens all kinds of goodness up. I'd be setting my high to a fraction of its potential but that's the beauty of such options.
I've got a Tana McGizmo LE with basic Tana3 firmware in an aleph mule and love it.
Another great thing about the McGizmo modular e series platform. Easily self maintained as simply as screwing out a switch or LE and replaced with another.

ven

Flashaholic
Well Scout, thats just peed on my parade :laughing: ............i was having visions of a Haiku rotary and thinking perfection:D. Then you mentioned about the clip, the Haiku has one of the best clips ever IMO and would be lost with a rotary. Now , maybe holes tapped in the body like the RA to accommodate a happy medium haiku type clip(retention/design).

Its good to dream, maybe one day it could come true:)

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well Scout, thats just peed on my parade :laughing: ............i was having visions of a Haiku rotary and thinking perfection:D. Then you mentioned about the clip, the Haiku has one of the best clips ever IMO. Now , maybe holes tapped in the body like the RA to accommodate a happy medium haiku type clip(retention/design).

Its good to dream, maybe one day it could come true:)

The Haiku clip is awesome, definitely. The whole design is mad scientist level unreal.
When I think about it, out of every small light I've come across the 123 sized Haiku and HDS clicky are in a league of their own when it comes to hand feel/handling.

scout24

Flashaholic
(Obi-wan waves hand-) The Clicky Haiku is the one you're looking for... :D

F89- I was using Tana's work as an example of fitting different drivers into the Haiku head with no modification. One of the reasons I think Henry's driver would be a good match is he's conservative with drive levels, so heat wouldn't be an issue. Though a 371 powered Haiku Triple is tempting... :eek:oo:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
(Obi-wan waves hand-) The Clicky Haiku is the one you're looking for... :D

F89- I was using Tana's work as an example of fitting different drivers into the Haiku head with no modification. One of the reasons I think Henry's driver would be a good match is he's conservative with drive levels, so heat wouldn't be an issue. Though a 371 powered Haiku Triple is tempting... :eek:oo:

Ha ha.
Yeah, you've nailed it. If you could jam Henry's driver into a McGizmo LE can, screw it in and operate it with the McClicky then you have something quite special.
I have to say Tana's triple Haiku is pretty awesome, who doesn't love a triple? And the H17F behind it well....
I'm boring in this department though, I just love Don's old 3S driver with a boring little single LED and that beautiful little reflector.
Hey don't go mucking around with bi carb soda and 9V batteries either, no pretty colours or armoured clips on my Haiku either thank you.

Last edited:

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love these ideas too but you're all missing one thing- that extra conductor Henry has to run through the wall of his lights for the tail e-clicky to do what it does. It's definitely not a simple drop-in job to put that in a Haiku body with it's mechanical tail. But if you could get those two to come together and make that happen I'd sell whatever I had to to fund one.