• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired (Sold) Surefire Lumamax L6 w/XHP50 LED Upgrade

pc_light

Enlightened
This classic is really too nice to sit in a draw, so it needs to find a new home. Shelf queen.

It's all original Surefire with the exception of the XHP50 LED upgrade to help it remain relevant for today. My guesstimate is that it's now putting out around ~400 lumens! (the original Lux V specification is 100 lumens / 4 hours (high 1.5 hour + useful 2.5 hours); should achieve the same run-times with new emitter, while possible running cooler. Good combination of throwy large hotspot with spill. Overall light is in 9+/10 condition.
Package includes -

• Surefire Lumanmax L6,
- w/original efficient buck driver; runs 3 CR123a or 2-17500 (equal brightness with reduced runtime)​

• Upgraded to Cree XHP50 J4 3A (5000K) on Copper MCPCB (6V),

• Additional RPM "V2" Natural Clickie Tail Switch!
  • Surefire Fm14 diffuser
  • 2 x 17500 cells

(Sold)*** $190 shipped to within US only, PayPal preferred. ***​

Photos are of actual items in their current condition -

sJPCU1b.jpg

L6 adorned with the included RPM "V2" Tail Switch; soft press; tail stands. Looks like the bomb :thumbsup:.
FWv4yhO.jpg

Original Lux V spec'd at 100 lumens (on left) vs Upgraded XHP50, my estimated 400 lumens! (on right).
The image below is a composite of Before and After emitter upgrade taken at the same exposure and white balance so that you can see the relative bump up in brightness. Both exposures were minus several stops otherwise the beamshot with the XHP50 would be overblown! In real life the OEM LuxV (on left) is of course brighter and doesn't have any tint, while the XHP50 upgrade is even brighter and interestingly fairly accurate in tint.

[EDIT: The 400 lumens is based on - (1) The updated L6 output is somewhere between the two ranges of my ZL SC600w MkIII which is spec'd as 312 & 580 lumens. (2) My HF multi-meter measures the current draw at the tail cap as 620mA which according to the XHP50 chart translates to 400+ lumens at the emitter. (3) Perceived brightness is logarithmic and the new XHP50 on the right is clearly more than brightness of the original 100 lumen LuxV on the left.]
opvpwcU.jpg

Cree XHP50 partially diffused dome to reduce any multi-die artifacts in from the emitter (not visible in the photo above or in real field use but possibly visible when white wall hunting indoors.)
RukVl1L.jpg

(My thread on "flossing" to reduce multi-die artifacts, here.)
gCQczpc.jpg

I don't have the original box but will ship on an old L5 box and include a pair of new 17500 cells.

Usual CPF sale rules apply, first paid "I'll take it" gets it.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

pc_light

Enlightened
Re: Surefire Lumamax L6 w/XHP50 LED Upgrade

Who do y'all order your light from
Hi Blackbird, if you're wondering about getting this light new, sorry, this is a long discontinued model. The only ones in excellent condition like this light would be from the vaults of collectors. There might be some "users" available on auction site but this one was never carried.

From what I recall, Surefire created the L6 model by combining the M3 Combat body (an incan model, still currently available) with the KL6 (LED) head. The L6 was only listed as a unique model in Surefire catalogs for a couple of years before disappearing almost 10yrs ago. Then for some period of time even after old L6 stock got sold off the KL6 Head itself continued to be available, but even those are rarely available new anymore. The good thing about SF lights are that they are "lego" friendly. As I mentioned, the body is the same as the M3 Combat, which takes a number of still available heads, and the tail cap is the same "C" series used on many other SF models. So this light can still be outfitted with many widely available accesories.

If you have any questions about this particular light let me know. I'm really NOT much of a SF resource, I've only owned 7 models through the years which is a small number compared to some old flashoholics.

Last edited:

pc_light

Enlightened

Blackbird - I noticed from your tag line that you enjoy old Surefire lights. If you don't already have an L6 but enjoy "lego-ing" SF lights, then the L6 may be something worth considering.

As mentioned previously the KL6 head fits on the SF M-series bodies such as M3, M4, M6 (old incans), but that's not all. If you use one of the now available "C to M" adapters, the KL6 can now be mounted on to various C/P/G/Z series bodies as well. The key is that the KL6 uses the very efficient Buck-circuit and was designed to be good up to 12V, which means it can combine with bodies using 3 to 4 cr123a (primaries). It will also run 2 rcr123's but 3 such cells (>12V) might be a tad stressful on the engine.

The L6 body is basically a M3T body so it can combine with many of classic SF incan big head heads such as the very nice KT4 and M6 Turbo.

Oh, and let's not forget RPM's V2 Tail Switch that is part of this package. It would look sharp on many C-series lights! With the silky McClicky switch mechanism I think the V2 is nicer than the SF SW01 ("fattie") that was it's inspiration.

Food for thought.

archimedes

Flashaholic

Would prefer to keep threads here in "WTS" largely focused on the sale at hand.

Lots of threads elsewhere for discussion of SF history ... and asking "where else to buy" in a CPF members sales thread is not really very courteous :(

pc_light

Enlightened

*** Happy National Flashlight Day ***

and Happy Winter's Solstice.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

pc_light

Enlightened

Last price drop.

(Also posted for sale elsewhere, so this FS thread may be closed without notice.)

pc_light

Enlightened
Re: Surefire Lumamax L6 w/XHP50 LED Upgrade (price drop)

Available again with additional accessory and price dropped for quicker sale.

I withdrew from sale intending to further mod the light but I've picked up a few additional lights lately (including another SF!) and decided I need to lower the price to move this one out.

Thanks for looking.

(And if this sells elsewhere I will update/close this WTS)

Last edited:

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire Lumamax L6 w/XHP50 LED Upgrade (Available again)

I'll take it!

Please PM me your PayPal Info. [emoji41]

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast

Greenbean, your on a roll today sir.
2 awesome lights heading your way. Congrats.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire Lumamax L6 w/XHP50 LED Upgrade (SPF)

PayPal sent.

Looking forward to this one. [emoji16]

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast

Greenbean, your on a roll today sir.
2 awesome lights heading your way. Congrats.

Thanks,

Had some Christmas funds ready to use.

Really looking forward to both this and the Malkoff V6 Wildcat.

pc_light

Enlightened

Hi Greenbean,

Thanks and it's on it's way home now. All the better to enjoy since it takes rechargeables which few of the older SF's do well.

pc_light

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got the light yesterday, looks fantastic and works like a champ.

Thanks again!

pc_light

Enlightened
Glad you like it GB. Looks like even with the avalanche of snow you got that it was only delayed by a little.

Now I'm curious how the L6 stands up against the KX9.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you like it GB. Looks like even with the avalanche of snow you got that it was only delayed by a little.

Now I'm curious how the L6 stands up against the KX9.

Oh they are completely different. For real my KX9 is a real thrower.

I enjoy both for different reasons.

I've already been looking into maybe an XP-L HI for the L6...Not sure though.

pc_light

Enlightened
The XP-L Hi is a great emitter. Such a change would involve a driver change. then you'll be able to add a driver with multi-modes if desired. That's something I thought would be a great add for that light.