Nitecore TINI - DIY Leather Wrap

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the biggest problems I have with keychain lights is that they get beat to death in my pocket.
So I thought I'd have a little fun and see if I could make a decent, protective, wrap for the light.

Now remember, I know almost nothing about leatherwork so it's pretty crude overall.

Having said that.... I present the DIY Nightcore TINI Leather Wrapped Edition

---------------
The tools and materials
I started with a paper template that I had to re-do about 3 times.

oOC36pq.jpg

lZZoKIE.jpg

oMmNA2X.jpg

Zmol39i.jpg

ZmmnaSH.jpg

du1pMXK.jpg

YjCcxkx.jpg

lFsTv00.jpg

RjmKn0A.jpg

----------------

On the keychain next to my failing Inova X? (switch going bad)

VVUs3g2.jpg

1911Guru

Newly Enlightened
That's a nice looking wrap! Gives the light an old world kinda feel, and will help take some of the beating/shock off of it.I'm gonna have to look at wrapping a couple now!

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even up and dress the edges, and maybe emboss something on the side(s) and it would be really sharp. Have you thought about using a thinner piece of leather, like maybe dress glove leather. It would be a little easier to work, but you would have to make a new template since it will fold different. All in all, a good job, especially for someone not used to leather working.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clever, useful and distinctive. Thanks for showing us your proof of concept!

Have you seen those Nite-Ize S-biners that can lock? I have been disconnected with the standard ones. As long as a person keeps them locked, they work in the most rough-and-tumble scenarios.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even up and dress the edges, and maybe emboss something on the side(s) and it would be really sharp. Have you thought about using a thinner piece of leather, like maybe dress glove leather. It would be a little easier to work, but you would have to make a new template since it will fold different. All in all, a good job, especially for someone not used to leather working.

Basically I have this huge sheet of leather I got for dirt cheep a while ago so that is what I used but you are right, something thinner would be a lot easier to work with. This thickness is pretty much "armor plating"! LOL.

I also went online and looked up how you "dress" the edges. I had no idea how this was done until now. I also came across different ways to stitch (saddle, et-al).

I think it actually looks nicer in real life, all the flaws show in the close up photos......still, I may just try it again if for no reason than to see improved skills (LOL)

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clever, useful and distinctive. Thanks for showing us your proof of concept!

Have you seen those Nite-Ize S-biners that can lock? I have been disconnected with the standard ones. As long as a person keeps them locked, they work in the most rough-and-tumble scenarios.

Thank you

and no I didn't know there were locking S-Biners. Looked it up and that is neat. I may have to get some of those.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Basically I have this huge sheet of leather I got for dirt cheep a while ago so that is what I used but you are right, something thinner would be a lot easier to work with. This thickness is pretty much "armor plating"! LOL.

I also went online and looked up how you "dress" the edges. I had no idea how this was done until now. I also came across different ways to stitch (saddle, et-al).

I think it actually looks nicer in real life, all the flaws show in the close up photos......still, I may just try it again if for no reason than to see improved skills (LOL)
I can see nothing wrong with the stitching as it is. It keeps the seam together without bulking it up any. The only acceptable seam for an application like this is a butt one like you have made, and other than a whip stitch (which I don't think would be as attractive) there aren't many options for a type of stitching.
I don't know if it takes a tool or just some procedure, but I know that raw edges can be smoothed and rounded off so they are much more attractive. I would save this one as a memory, and try another with some of the things you have learned. As far as the side seam goes, you could also shave the two edges at corresponding angles and glue them one over the other with rubber cement. That makes an almost invisible seam, and if there were some sort of embossed pattern in that area it could quite easily be hidden in it. Once you start with leather, the possibilities are endless.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
JUSTIFICATION!

Oh for crying out loud, I've had the light for twelve days, TWELVE, and I already put a nice "key scar" on the flat underside of the leather!
I guess that totally justifies the effort I put into the leather wrap (Grin)

YAK-28

Enlightened
nice work, i would be careful with the little locking s-biners. i have 2, both with missing gates.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two Month Update

I've been very pleased with how this project has worked out.
Two months in and the "pocket wear" has caused the leather to fit tight to the light and has also polished up the leather as well as somewhat burnishing most of the raw edges.

The leather has also protected the light from at least one nasty key-scratch and a couple of fairly hefty drops including my wife tossing my keyring about 4 yards to me and me fumbling the catch...on a concrete sidewalk.

nOFuiGc.jpg

w0BYWST.jpg

VQRwsjY.jpg