Heads up -- 9V Pak-Lite now has a warm white option...

bigfoot

Enlightened
Heads up for anyone interested... looks like the Pak-Lite 9V flashlight is now offered with a warm white LED option. :candle:

Their page makes mention of both 4,000K and 3,500K color temperatures; not sure which it is, but I'll e-mail them and check back into this thread.

I have one of their early models that's been rolling around in a survival kit for the better part of a decade, and it still works flawlessly. :) In this era of barn burners and retina searing outputs, you gotta love the humble 5mm LEDs; they do a great job for close-up work and are battery vampires. FYI, no connection to the company, just a satisfied customer.

scout24

Flashaholic
Nice! I bought one of these and a box of lithium 9v's as part of some hurricane preparedness items for my mother in law about 6 years ago. She has since passed on, and they're now in my basement. Good kit...

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes interested. Let us know what you find out. Would love to get a more soothing color temperature than the violet blue hotspots coming out of the Pak-Lite that resides by my wife's side of the bed. Last time I spoke with them years ago, the father of the guy who came up with the idea was the person who took the order; nice fellow.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was excited when I saw this in my email this morning! I was under the impression that the tint is around 3500K,that is what is listed in the specs at least, even though they call it the Pak-lite 4K. There is a comparison picture on the website showing the "beam" from a standard white and the new 4K model. It definitely seems to be on the warm side :thumbsup: Always been a big fan of Pak-lites and they have stood the test of time. Even with the plethora of flashlights sitting around my house the Pak-lite is still the light my wife often uses at night around the house. The big disadvantage of the white Pak-lite IMHO has always been the "angry blue" in the 5MM LEDs and this looks like it solves that issue. I am in for a couple for sure!

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody mod a couple of Yuji into these ... ?
[emoji317]

I wondered the same thing but if the picture on the website is an accurate representation I don't think it will be necessary now unless you want to change one you already own. The only info in the specs for the LEDs that Pak-lite is using for the "4K" is that they are "3.5K Warm White".

archimedes

Flashaholic
I wondered the same thing but if the picture on the website is an accurate representation I don't think it will be necessary now unless you want to change one you already own. The only info in the specs for the LEDs that Pak-lite is using for the "4K" is that they are "3.5K Warm White".

What's the CRI ... I'm curious to know

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome, Now to find a cheaper price for these so that I can justify buying a bunch of them to give to family members. As an emergency light- IMHO- its nice to have bright but nicer to be a calming (Warm) color.

Anyone know the approximate output on each level?

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the CRI ... I'm curious to know

CRI has never been as big a deal to me as others so I hadn't given it any thought. I have no info here but my guess is that they didn't really consider CRI (at least not the way we would here at CPF) since they state that the Super(cool white) offers more blue light to enhance colors !? Not sure if they would be willing to divulge the source of their warm LEDs so we could get the mfc. specs as they might consider it proprietary. You could always try an email,maybe they would offer the LED specs if not the actual manufacturer.

I am pretty certain they will work for me as long as they are decent neutral/warm tint but if your looking for HCRI that info is not out there yet as far as I know.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome, Now to find a cheaper price for these so that I can justify buying a bunch of them to give to family members. As an emergency light- IMHO- its nice to have bright but nicer to be a calming (Warm) color.

Anyone know the approximate output on each level?

Agreed, these should be 5$ lights.
I'd buy one for everyone I remotely cared about at the 5$ price point. It's too bad they're keeping the 1990's price for 1990's tech, neat that they discovered warm leds though.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed, these should be 5$ lights.
I'd buy one for everyone I remotely cared about at the 5$ price point. It's too bad they're keeping the 1990's price for 1990's tech, neat that they discovered warm leds though.

I realize the Pak-lite isn't at the high end of tech but $5? Considering the quality that doesn't seem fair or even realistic.Certainly the Pak-lite has its limitations but the price isn't all that high considering a reliable light that is proven to last for years.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realize the Pak-lite isn't at the high end of tech but $5? Considering the quality that doesn't seem fair or even realistic.Certainly the Pak-lite has its limitations but the price isn't all that high considering a reliable light that is proven to last for years.

Supposedly it has a good quality switch and is made in smaller quantities in U.S.A.

Surely you can find a mass-produced item similar to this for $5. I will stick with Pak-Lite.

I looked at this after getting some 5mm Yuji from kind members of CPF; did not want to take a chance breaking it to modify, but IF there is a warmer version, It might be worth it to try putting a pair of Yuji's in the old one.

scout24

Flashaholic
Every. Single. Thread. Every Pak-Lite thread turns into a thread about cost. If it were so easy, and enough were being sold, the cost would be lower. It's not. Let's be glad they're being made, and I'll be the first in line if a less expensive alternative of the same build quality with the same warranty shows up. Until then, let's talk about the new emitter options! :)

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

It is a neat light but, I have to agree. I think it should be $5-$10 max. It isn't, waterproof or regulated, is just made of cast plastic, and uses ultra low cost/low output old 5mm LED's. For $20 you can get a number of regulated, multi mode, hard anodized CNC machined aluminum lights that are waterproof and use the latest high output LED's. It is a neat design and plenty useful but, isn't a great value for the money imo.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a neat light but, I have to agree. I think it should be $5-$10 max. It isn't, waterproof or regulated, is just made of cast plastic, and uses ultra low cost/low output old 5mm LED's. For $20 you can get a number of regulated, multi mode, hard anodized CNC machined aluminum lights that are waterproof and use the latest high output LED's. It is a neat design and plenty useful but, isn't a great value for the money imo.
I think we are looking at a difference in philosophy here. Those that think it is a great light see the need for a simple, long-lasting light that uses a commonly available cell. They are willing to pay for their preference. Those that think it is too expensive seem to lean towards bigger, brighter lights that for the most part are almost the exact opposite of the Pak Lite. Me, for a low cost simple light I have my Lumintop Tools and a few Tubes and a couple of BLF348s hanging around. To each his own.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've paid about 20$ for one Paklite, loved it, and eventually gifted it to a friend.
I'm on their mailing list, they're always offering slight deals, but if the price point were lower I'd have likely spent 200$+ - 400$ with them by now instead of 20$.
There was a window of time over ten years ago when that was legitimately a 20$ light.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
We now have a warm emitter in a minimalistic 9 volt battery flashlight. If you have a safe for valuables that needs fresh 9 volt batteries every year, you can run a Pak-Lite indefinitely it seems. Anyone who has these batteries about their home can have basically free illumination. They may be one of the few available batteries when disaster is imminent and the stores are depleted by the predominantly unprepared.

Wondering if the new LED's will last as long with lower voltages as the old cold ones?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
We now have a warm emitter in a minimalistic 9 volt battery flashlight. If you have a safe for valuables that needs fresh 9 volt batteries every year, you can run a Pak-Lite indefinitely it seems. Anyone who has these batteries about their home can have basically free illumination. They may be one of the few available batteries when disaster is imminent and the stores are depleted by the predominantly unprepared.

Wondering if the new LED's will last as long with lower voltages as the old cold ones?
At one time there was a need for a 9v light... it could give dim light for a long long time using half depleted 9v batteries. Now we have all sorts of batteries and lights such that there is no real need to invest in a light that requires you to buy expensive batteries or scavenge for them in an emergency. With lower levels in lights especially moonlight and firefly modes that are more inline with the pak lite's output using batteries that contain considerably more power and that are rechargeable not requiring oneself to scavenge batteries at all, just need to find a place to plug in a charger either an outlet or 12v adapter from a car.