Design Help Wanted: Flashlight to Jumpstart Your Car.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

12/19/17 EDIT: Here is a PDF on the light. I thought it looks pretty good so far but I am recommending they have it edited by a native English speaker.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UUQzf11I4g29zeZ2wNhz_vZ3pqYsMuEco4EzwzN2ZiE/edit

Looking for as much feedback as we can get. Especially if you have CAD experience.
This is not my project, I am assisting a fellow Missourian (Gary). He is from my area, a flashlight enthusiast but not a forum member. He has asked me to post here to get feedback as he's not posted on a forum since Apple in the 1980s
smile.png

Basic Outline:
The primary function of this light is to be a high powered flashlight that has the capability of a power bank. A set of jumper cables is included. The pack is rated to be 15,000ma @ 3.7. If I understand correctly it's 3× 5,000ma lipo cells with a 40C discharge rating in a 3S config, so that rating may need to be more clearly defined. An early prototype has been sent to him, that we tested. My truck is a 94 F150 with a 300 straight 6. With no battery connected only the flashlight it was able to crank my engine from cold and start it.
The LED is an XHP70. Early tests showed only 1600 lumen output, but at my suggestion they are planning a direct thermal path copper mcpcb with higher drive current on max, and a tempreture sensor will also be implemented.
EDIT: User interface
Define:
Moon mode: 54 lumens (Current 700mA)
Medium mode: 1800 lumens (Current 2.0A)
Burst mode: 4000 lumens (Current 5.3A)
Normal work mode: 1650 lumens (Current 1.65A)
1 Open the flashlight: Long push the switch button,
Default : Low mode, it's around 54 lumens, That called "Moon mode"
If you push the button shortly again, It enters medium mode, It's 1800 lumens (Current around 2A);
If you push the button shortly once, It enters burst mode(High lumens), It's 4000 lumens (Current around 5.3A);
At this moment, It lasts 90 seconds or Temperature reaches 80 degree, The lumens begins to reduce to 1800 lumens (2A), Then it still lasts 90 seconds, The lumens begins to reduce to 1650 lumens (1.65A), It's normal bright and work current, Until the power goes down.
2 Blink mode:
When the flashlight turns on status, Double click the button, The system remembers the light rank (Memories which lumens value), Then flashlight enters blinking mode:
A From Moon or Normal work mode to blinking: Slow blinking
B From Medium mode to blinking: fast blinking
C From Burst mode to blinking: SOS blinking
At any blinking mode, Just only shortly click button, The flashlight comes back to flashlight turns on status, And enter the memories lumens value.
3 Temperature protection:
When the flashlight work temperature reaches 80 degree, the system will reduce lumens to 1800, then continues to reduce to 1650 lumens, Then keep this bright turn on, Until battery is no power.

Primary feedback we are looking for at this time is Primary feedback we are looking for at this time is
1. Cosmetic. What do you think of the look of it? How could it be improved?
2. What do you think of the user interface?
3. Overall functionality? Do you see this as a useful product? How could it be made better?

Last edited:

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me be the first one to say that this is a really terrific idea! Ultimate car light. One thing that comes to my mind is that it'd be great to have an integrated car charging adapter in the tail. To provide for tail standing and additional robustness this interface section could be covered by a screw-in cap rather than the rubber cap (if I got it correctly)

Keitho

Enlightened
Really nice idea. I have a gooloo power bank in my car, with a light built in as an afterthought, and would love a better design, more flashlight-looking, and better performance as a light.

To be a high-performing flashlight, it will need a nice looking beam. So, time to decide: thrower, spot-flood, floody, etc. For a light this size, I'd expect to see a nice single LED and a reflector that gives a nice spot beam with a smooth transition to useful spill. No beam artifacts.

LED choice would help sell more lights. A couple of color temps, and a higher CRI option seems logical.

To be a good flashlight, it also needs a great UI. Look up narsil; imho, currently the best. Thermal regulation is a must if it is a high output LED. Mcpcb and a good thermal path--you're on the right track.

For car use, a powerful tail magnet would be awesome.

For power bank use, USB 3.0 output would be great.

User replaceable cells would also make it really valuable to me. Batteries wear out, and battery tech changes all the time, so I'd love to be able to upgrade.

Flashlights are black, tacticool...but consider some colored anodize or other coatings. Looks matter, but finding the light under the seat might be easier with something other than black, or even tritium inserts.

Seat mount screw looks like a good idea...if it were a 1/4-20, it could also be a standard tripod mount and serve other uses.

Best of luck, and keep us posted on this great project!

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me be the first one to say that this is a really terrific idea! Ultimate car light. One thing that comes to my mind is that it'd be great to have an integrated car charging adapter in the tail. To provide for tail standing and additional robustness this interface section could be covered by a screw-in cap rather than the rubber cap (if I got it correctly)

Thanks for chiming in. I agree 100% with a screw over tail cap.

Really nice idea. I have a gooloo power bank in my car, with a light built in as an afterthought, and would love a better design, more flashlight-looking, and better performance as a light.

To be a high-performing flashlight, it will need a nice looking beam. So, time to decide: thrower, spot-flood, floody, etc. For a light this size, I'd expect to see a nice single LED and a reflector that gives a nice spot beam with a smooth transition to useful spill. No beam artifacts.

LED choice would help sell more lights. A couple of color temps, and a higher CRI option seems logical.

To be a good flashlight, it also needs a great UI. Look up narsil; imho, currently the best. Thermal regulation is a must if it is a high output LED. Mcpcb and a good thermal path--you're on the right track.

For car use, a powerful tail magnet would be awesome.

For power bank use, USB 3.0 output would be great.

User replaceable cells would also make it really valuable to me. Batteries wear out, and battery tech changes all the time, so I'd love to be able to upgrade.

Flashlights are black, tacticool...but consider some colored anodize or other coatings. Looks matter, but finding the light under the seat might be easier with something other than black, or even tritium inserts.

Seat mount screw looks like a good idea...if it were a 1/4-20, it could also be a standard tripod mount and serve other uses.

Best of luck, and keep us posted on this great project!

I looks like on the PDF I just added to the OP there will be USB output, and the tripod mount as you suggest. I think for the Hi CRI version it will be up to CPF modders, but the body color idea I think is a good one. Since this is targeting the emergency use crowed maybe even bright a bright orange option.