Love my new 3c maglite

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got it a couple days ago. Early 90s model with no "c" in serial number. Traded a 2d led to a coworker for it. Bad trade for him! But we're both happy. Made up a spacer out of teflon and dropped two 18650s in there along with a 5 cell xenon bulb and a orange peeled stock reflector. Also bypassed the tailcap spring. This is a very nice light. Nice fat white hotspot of probably 150-200 lumens. Draws one amp. It feels really good in the hand. Seems to give the output of a p90 but clearly throws farther and should give at least two hours runtime. Kinda neat having a 3c light with the output of a 6d with a flatter discharge curve. Think I'm going to get a couple 26650s to try. Shows the old lights still work well and much nicer to walk in light falling snow than an led light

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
That it is. From what I understand the newer mag bi pin bulbs are brighter and whiter than the previous generation. Do you know if the 5 cell bulb would still work in my setup or should I go to a 6 cell bulb? For a replacement/backup bulb

bykfixer

Flashaholic
That it is. From what I understand the newer mag bi pin bulbs are brighter and whiter than the previous generation. Do you know if the 5 cell bulb would still work in my setup or should I go to a 6 cell bulb? For a replacement/backup bulb

It depends on the flow of your chosen batteries. I went to Batteries Plus and told the guy I wanted to drive a light bulb with 2 18650's. He pointed out some 1amp max output cells. I can use a 5 cell bulb just fine with those. If your cells are more than 1amp capable a 6 cell bulb may be best.

The PR based xenons are about as bright as the bi-pin. Not enough dif to notice. But bi-pins are both cheap and readily available so for economics may be the best way to go.

I use a Streamlight TL3 bulb in one and being slightly under-driven produces a nice golden beam.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed I could get a little tighter focus with the bi-pins in lights with the letter serial prefix, but the bii-pin bulb holder won't fit in my old 4D Mag from 1984 with no D in front of the serial. The bi-pins are noticeably brighter/whiter than the old krypton bulbs and probably a bit brighter than the PR xenons.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using 30A cells and the bulb is doing fine so far. Probably running at over 8V on fresh charge. The reason I ask about the newer bulbs is because the newer or bulbs are discontinued.

The older lights don't take the retrofit bulbs? What is a person to do when their old bulb burns out?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
C lights got the C much later in history than the pre-D. I have a pre-C 2c with a bi-pin adapter in it. You just use the fastener collar that comes with the bi-pin kit.

All Maglite bulbs are discontinued but ZBattery has plenty of the bi-pins.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightest 3C M*g was WA1185 using 3 AW's protected li-ion "C" cells and custom tail cap (or extension tube).
It is possible to use 3 IMR 26500 in bored out body and FM1909 with 2000 lumens warm light.
Another choice is 2x26650 in bored out body and variety of 6~7.2 volt bulbs.
There are many other bulb options for lower output and longer run time.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately both the wa1185 and "c" cells are discontinued. I could buy your deep reflector and glass lens and a great socket and run a 7388 or something but I'm not looking for brighter. This is plenty. I have a solar force l1200 if I want a true hotwire. Just looking at factory bulbs on this one. Thank you though FM

dennck

Newly Enlightened
IMHO those Tad Customs MPR7212 or MPR7218 seem to be the perfect candidates in this case.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using 30A cells and the bulb is doing fine so far. Probably running at over 8V on fresh charge. The reason I ask about the newer bulbs is because the newer or bulbs are discontinued.

The older lights don't take the retrofit bulbs? What is a person to do when their old bulb burns out?

Just to be clear, I got the new bi-pin holder/bulb to light up, just that the new set up was a tad too long to get a nice focus in the old light. Not sure exactly when they made the change, but most of the parts from my old 4D from 1984 will not interchange with the newer lights which have a different switch and a larger diameter battery tube. Not all that big of a deal in my case, because I have couple of xenon PR bulbs stashed away for it and this light is mostly retired now running on an LED drop in for power outages and the like.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've gotta wonder how long this will actually last. I compared this to my other lights and it's whiter than any other incandescent I've ever seen. Much whiter than an eo4 on a 30q, solar force l1200 on 3x 30q, d36 sr9l on two 18500s, or a Philips 7388 on 2x30q. And from what I can remember whiter than a p91 on 2x imr 18650s. It's a wonderful tint though but may be short lived. Probably have half an hour to 40 minutes on it so far. Think I'm going to try 2x LifePO4 cells tonight. I noticed bxfixer uses a 4 cell bulb on 2x LifePO4 though so these mag bulbs just may be damn tough

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The Kadomain reflectors are light orange peel. They actually produce a slightly cleaner beam. They help with filament shadow.

I've tried 4 cell vacuum bulbs with 2x18500 LifePo's and they didn't last very long. But keep in mind my lights with over-driven 4 cell bulbs aren't used for extended periods. About 15 minutes tops. If you will use yours for lengthy periods a 5 cell will be best. You'll get a typical lifespan and only lose a few lumens if it's driven properly.
I always let the batteries rest over night after charging them as well. You can get famous brand LifePo 18500's in the solar lamp section of big box stores these days.

A 2C full sized Mag with 2x18500 LifePo's and a Mag 4 cell bi-pin is a sweet little number that can easily be put back stock. It's actually brighter than a 3 cell with 18650's and easier on the bulb at start up.

I use ultraclear polycarbonate lenses from flashlight lens dot com. They're cheap and do make a difference over the Maglite lens. For a super-sweet beam his Acrylite have just enough difusion to really clean up the beam with hardly any affect on throw. His ultraclear glass is a wee bit better than the polycarbonate but I only use those in stock lights to get all 20 or so lumens out front.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some Samsung LifePO4 18650s to use. Still using the stock lens but have put a couple layer of acrylic clear coat on the reflector. Very diffused beam has definitely gotten rid of artifacts. Basically a wall of light but still throws decently well

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also are the kd aluminium reflectors good for incandescents? They seem to be made for LEDs but wondering if they focus incans well?

Ohh yeah! They have a removable cam so they can be used with any LED drop in or the stock incan setup. They are made in SMO (smooth) which resembles a stock reflector, LOP (light orange peel) which is better for flood or OP (orange peel) which is all flood. The price is awe some and the quality is great but the shipping takes forever. Order a few, they are well worth it in my opinion.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're all discontinued? Maglite still makes incandescent lights

The PR based Maglite branded bulbs are discontinued. However, you can still pick up Vacuum (PR) and Krypton (KPR) PR based bulbs from other manufacturers that work just fine. Maglite now only makes it's bi-pin Xenon bulbs that are sold with an adapter (LMXA). You can still generally find new old stock on the Krypton and Xenon Maglite branded PR based bulbs though from 3rd part sellers.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks I think I will order a couple. I think I over stippled my reflector. There's basically no hot spot anymore and I prefer to see one. Mistakenly I did it inside on a white wall and kept applying coats till there were no dark spots in the beam. But I don't use it inside on a wall. I use it outside