Are there any reviews of the Armytek Barracuda Pro v2 XHP35?

allangalbraith

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks,

After scouring the internet, I have finally found a new flashlight that will fit the bill for Search and Rescue, the Armytek Barracuda Prov2 XHP35. While it looks good on paper and has many of the technical qualities that I was looking for, I'm hesitant to pull the trigger because of a lack of reviews.

I did find one review but its more of an unboxing video and it was in Russian. I also applied to Armytek to be a reviewer but I never got a response from them.

So I turn the question over to you, does anyone have this light? If you do, what are your thoughts and opinions on it? Does anyone know if there is a review of this light?

Thank you very much!

Jose Marin

Enlightened
I have one and its ok. Nice cool white tint, not very blue. I only measured 145kcd though which just doesnt seem like it is enough for the size of the head imo. The interface is ok, it takes longer than id like for it to memorize the modes when in the head loose. The head tight mode is nice being able to program it to two different max outputs. If i needed a dependable 2x18650 search light id go with malkoff hound dog super but its only 58kcd or so so depending on how far you need the beam to reach that one might fall short. Although the armytek is a neat light ive had a few just straight up fail on me and then warranty process isnt the easiest.

Stigand

Newly Enlightened
I have been hunting [culling] with a couple for over a year. They have taken a beating. Tail switch failed on one, but otherwise they are the best I've used for their size. They illuminate eyes out to 500m and allow accurate shooting [headshots] out to 250m. We use headlamps for walking and close work so the Barracuda Pro's are always on 'Hi". They have a true Hot Spot which is what I got them for, if I had to fault them it would be to say the spill is a bit excessive. Comparison wise, I have standardised on torches using 18650's for convenience reasons and they easily surpass my fenix [xp35] and various other chinese cheapys, in fact they throw better than than most of my mates big lensed LightForces with belt packs; I'd recommend them at the price. Forgot to say I tend to use matched pairs of cheap batteries and typically get just under an hour running before swapping batteries.

oeL

Newly Enlightened
Armytek Barracuda Prov2 XHP35

I'm using one for quite a while now, here some experiences:

- quite stable, no issues so far
- combination of spill and hotspot, not an "extreme thrower"
- I recommend warm white over cool white: Better color rendering, less reflections on water drops (rain, fog)
- really bright on turbo2 (see manual how to set it)
- turbo2 does not give you constant current regulation - use a unprotected battery with a high voltage curve on 5A
- according to several measurements, Sony VTC6 is the best in brightness/runtime - the Predator will run "almost flat"
- runtime (before the first noticeable decrease in brightness) is about 20min on turbo2 with a VTC6

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using one for quite a while now, here some experiences:

- quite stable, no issues so far
- combination of spill and hotspot, not an "extreme thrower"
- I recommend warm white over cool white: Better color rendering, less reflections on water drops (rain, fog)
- really bright on turbo2 (see manual how to set it)
- turbo2 does not give you constant current regulation - use a unprotected battery with a high voltage curve on 5A
- according to several measurements, Sony VTC6 is the best in brightness/runtime - the Predator will run "almost flat"
- runtime (before the first noticeable decrease in brightness) is about 20min on turbo2 with a VTC6

I consider to grab this light on a sale.
Here you are talking about Barracuda runned by a single cell, which is an option but two cells is what the light is mainly intended for(and OP does not mention the intention to use it with single cell). And with two cells the turbo2 is regulated according to the information I read.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered Barracuda Pro v2 warm white and received it today. The first reaction is that it's not that "tank" like the XML2 version.
The battery tube is thin and it's as well shorter and lighter than the predecessor. The deep reflector seems very similar but actually v2 XHP35 version has slightly wider spill. Ceiling bounce test shows 54% higher output.
I consider to post a more detailed comparison between them later.

Last edited: