Fitorch ER16 review (1000lm, XP-L2,RCR123A)

viperxp

Enlightened
Hello,
This review will be dedicated to a new light by Fitorch, the ER16.

Link to the flashlight page on Fitorch website (link is external)

UDPbi77i_o.png
SemoNMCZ_o.png

6iQaJyxo_o.png

So, what's interesting about this light?

1. 1000 lm from RCR123A is impressive.
2. No time based stepdown, a smart temperature and voltage based stepdown.
3. Precise voltmeter (like we saw on Nitecore lights …)

User manual download link (link is external)

Let's start

FsB1IoxE_o.jpg
uV1iNzoh_o.jpg

o5EJ16oG_o.jpg
kLP1cbl1_o.jpg

The light comes in a rather small carton box, with a dominating black and orange color theme. I guess that the light raised some suspicions at the customs, because it was opened and torn a bit on arrival.

iMrvyC8D_o.jpg
Bhtx8hVY_o.jpg

kNiZgSpi_o.jpg
vR14Q08b_o.jpg

The light comes with a comprehensive set of accessories. It comes with holster, a carrying clip, usb cable (the light is rechargeable), lanyard, user manual and a spare o-ring.

rYGHmBnS_o.jpg
UglJIndC_o.jpg

gZ8UJgxi_o.jpg
1T4RCYBr_o.jpg

BloC9N1y_o.jpg

The holster is of a good quality, fits the light very well. Because of the light built, you can fit it in the holster both head and bottom down.

Y2y32mar_o.jpg
Rrqf9eDM_o.jpg

The clip is big, and has a lanyard hole. More about clip later….

ORnb2Qli_o.jpg
zHB5Cf3l_o.jpg

8JQztKn9_o.jpg

The light is very solid built. It has one of the biggest buttons in proportion to it's size. The button is electronic, and has some smart features (more on that later).

RryKdSjr_o.jpg

Another lanyard hole at the tailcap. The tailcap also has built in magnet, that will hold the light securely if attached to a magnetic metal surface.

Fuzosqz6_o.jpg
UG4yubF5_o.jpg

kttmlGyr_o.jpg
OPk3eM2w_o.jpg

The led in use is XP-L2 (there is some mismatch between the data on the site and on the box. The user manual that comes with the light says XP-L2). The reflector can be easily removed without any tools (I am not sure that it will be the same way on all of the lights or it's only on the review sample). Please note that the star seems to be made of copper (very nice). If you want to fit TIR optics – all options are open for you.

KZrlehq4_o.jpg
NhzMob2z_o.jpg

The tailcap is huge, the biggest I saw in proportion to the light head.
hxKxRe7L_o.jpg
1WMTynXv_o.jpg

The light comes with some unbranded RCR123A battery. The battery is not some proprietary type, so the light will handle and recharge just about any RCR123A battery.
eRckBt7x_o.jpg
VWmLZVb1_o.jpg

pA3GLXVg_o.jpg

There is mechanical reverse battery protection. Please note that the RCR123A battery has a lot of space around it – it seems that 18350 battery will also fit this light.

4fVGWlxl_o.jpg
oFvQoAsW_o.jpg

sJpp9yxK_o.jpg
SB7z8nyn_o.jpg

The light has some smart features. It has a built in voltage meter, and low battery warning as well.

After you quickly click the button three times when the light is off, battery meter is enabled. The green indicator around the button blinks, indicating the voltage in volts, and afterwards the red one blinks, indicating the volt decimals (for 3.8 volts there will be 3 green and 8 red blinks).

Controlling the light

A long click from off position turns the light on (not really long, but longer than a fast short click).
A double click from any position enables the strobe mode.
When the light is on, short clicking the button changes the modes in the following order : min->max->hight->med->min->….
A long press turns the light off.
A long press while the light is in off condition will enable the electronic lockout function. In order to unlock the light you will have to press the button until the light will be on in the lowest mode.

KL0lN0M4_o.jpg

iU2ghZDN_o.jpg

The clip can be only attached when the tailcap is unscrewed. Also when the clip is attached and you try to unscrew the tailcap the clip will interfere and will get scratched or will scratch the light.
The light is not huge, but is one of the bigger RCR123A lights that I came across.

WH0eM0pZ_o.jpg

fTQNOfnq_o.jpg

The light draws up to 1A when charging, just as manufacturer stated. The tailcap is flat, so no problem to tail-stand.

Let's see it in work?

1I0I3FqE_o.jpg

LfidlIwW_o.jpg
mh5vv3EM_o.jpg

Lu3jYT0G_o.jpg
n2eICsRH_o.jpg

vfOJvk9t_o.jpg
1MOIjScI_o.jpg

7aZF4YFQ_o.jpg
qA9QqOA8_o.jpg

Well, great. Just as expected from a rather deep smooth reflector.

Conclusion, final thoughts

Well, I think that the light success will be determined by it's price. There are no break-throw achievements made in this light, but it does a lot and does it well. It will be a great first light and a great gift – all that you need for a start comes with the light …

Last edited: