Budget Thrower for Grandson?

rkJr

Enlightened
So my grandson has taken a liking to flashlights, having seen some of my collection. He especially likes the throwers, so wondering if someone can recommend something that:

is somewhat bright but a long tight thrower more important
regular batteries, AA, AAA, etc., as probably easier than re-chargeable, though could be ok with that
Budget around $50-75

Any suggestions most appreciated.:wave:

rkJr

Enlightened
Thx, That's worth looking into. Didn't see specs on how far it will throw vs other budget lights. Wondering if there's a comparison chart showing throws of different lights

When selfbuilt :bow: was doing flashlight reviews he always charted detailed specs including throw. The original TN4A with Cree XP-L was maximum 30,000 lux. The XP-L HI version will be more because it is domeless and flat.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore P30 is a very nice thrower (FL1 rating of 600m), and would be good for a first light. The ideal power source is an 18650, but it can also use 2 CR123 cells. At $1 apiece that can expensive quickly, but a couple of 18650 cells and a good charger like the Xtar VC4 should work well for him, if he is old enough to be responsible about them. The P30 MSRP is around $65, but during the holidays you should be able to pick one up for significantly less. Andrew & Amanda always have package deals, and I wouldn't be surprised if they had one for the P30.

Keitho

Enlightened
Depends on age and responsibility of the grandson, maybe. Lithium ion cell handling and charging isn't for everyone; but, some will be able to handle it pretty young (some of my middle age coworkers...not so much; some of their 10 year old kids...no problem). The Emisar D1s is a large enough host that it doesn't get too hot, and performs like a champ for very little money (compared to higher end throwers).

rkJr

Enlightened
The Nitecore P30 is a very nice thrower (FL1 rating of 600m), and would be good for a first light. The ideal power source is an 18650, but it can also use 2 CR123 cells. At $1 apiece that can expensive quickly, but a couple of 18650 cells and a good charger like the Xtar VC4 should work well for him, if he is old enough to be responsible about them. The P30 MSRP is around $65, but during the holidays you should be able to pick one up for significantly less. Andrew & Amanda always have package deals, and I wouldn't be surprised if they had one for the P30.

Sorry, who are Andrew & Amanda? Not familiar with them by their first name reference.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
+1 on the TN4A Hi, although I heard the discontinued the neutral white, if not others.
Be warned on alkaline - on turbo it will burn through those shockingly quickly. Great run time on NiMH.

cp2315

Enlightened
convoy C8 with XPL HI might be good enough thrower for a beginner (around 80-100kcd, or 600m throw). It runs on 18650 though.
Without battery and charger it is only ~15USD

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
rkJr,
This was also my first thought. Low cost and good quality!

convoy C8 with XPL HI might be good enough thrower for a beginner (around 80-100kcd, or 600m throw). It runs on 18650 though.
Without battery and charger it is only ~15USD

I don't know what you have in your collection, that your grandson really likes, but considering that you think that AAA lights would be acceptable, to him, then maybe your throwers aren't particularly powerful by today's standards. Two years ago, a Convoy C8 with an XPL HI would have been considered a super thrower. I'd probably start there. If you aren't familiar with LiIon cells, then read up about them, and safety, and then get him protected cells.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore MT21A has a 200m throw from 260 lumens running on 2 x AA batteries, it will also run on 2 x Eneloop/ Eneloop Pro rechargeables.

They are available for about $30.

arKmm

Enlightened
Maglite ML50L 3C. Long battery life, it's a 'fun' focusable with good throw and decent enough output.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the other side of the coin, why not get him a hearty lower tech starter like a Coast HP1? Being focusing light, does both flood and throw with forward clicky there is no parasitic battery loss. It is smaller, takes 1AA battery $12. It can also take NimH and Li-on 14500 with subsequent steps up in performance. If he likes it & takes care of it maybe bump him up to something a little more complex over time. If he cools to the flashlight idea, you are out very little money.

Last edited:

Bazar

Newly Enlightened
Thx, That's worth looking into. Didn't see specs on how far it will throw vs other budget lights. Wondering if there's a comparison chart showing throws of different lights

I would"throw" this out there, specs for throw will be a little weighty, I'd focus on safety automatic shutoff and stay away from maximum spec. Also get simple user interface and something smaller so he can easily handle it. This is assuming by grandson you mean someone under 15.