Flashlight to carry in a vehicle for emergency, repairs etc

callehayes

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

My friend has two Nitecore flashlights, one about the size of a palm and the other a full length one, they seem to be reasonable quality and use those 18650 batteries.

I have had to visit my mechanic friend a couple of times at the night to get some minor work done on my automotive, and I realized how poor those energ**r or similar flashlights that we buy in the big box stores are.

I have decided that I must carry a good flashlight in my vehicle, which can be used to look under the hood if needed and provide reasonable illumination in case I need to get out of the car at night and check the tires etc.

I do not mind spending up to about $100 or so on a quality product, but nothing too overboard as it can get lost, stolen.

I prefer something with these 18650 or similar rechargeable batteries and I like a big on and off button or switch as opposed to a tiny one which one needs to search for in the darkness....the last thing I want to have to do is find where the on/off switch/button is in my flashlight when I need it asap

I am in the southern US.

Thank you!!

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Well, I will let my peers here recommend an 18650 light since there are so many. Perhaps they can recommend one with a magnet to attach to your raised hood, or, a 18650-fueled headlamp.

But let me recommend a second light for you to consider to ensure your safety in the event you have broken down: the NEBO Lil Larry.

Why?

One of its modes is a blinking flashing red mode and with its magnet you can attach it to the side of your vehicle in flashing red mode to alert approaching cars you are on the side of the road.

Insert 3 Triple A Lithium batteries and it will be guaranteed to work in very cold weather.

Let us know what you decide.

- LetThereBeLight!

callehayes

Newly Enlightened
I will look into this NEBO Lil Larry thank you, is it best to get on ama**n or elsewhere?

I do have a 18650 Nitecore headlamp but it seems like it would be a pain to slide on and off especially in a rushed situation, I thought those were more suited for planned tasks, of course there is no hard and fast rule....

I am not hell bent on a light with a 18650 battery any suitable battery will do

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Nitecore EA11, which takes either a single AA cell or a 14500 Li-Ion rechargeable cell. Obviously using the 14500 gives more output, but it is respectable with the single AA as well. I mention that because if you are going to leave this light in the car, a primary lithium AA cell would be the best option. Although, Nitecore also has an EC11, which is basically the same light except it uses either a single non-rechargeable CR123 lithium cell or a rechargeable 18350 Li-Ion cell. Both also have a small red LED that can be turned on for steady lighting, or set to a flash mode to get attention. Both of these lights come with a very nice belt holster and would make a great EDC light.

While it is not a flashlight, the new Nitecore LR10 lantern would also be a good choice. It has a built in rechargeable Li-Ion battery pack, and nine LEDs inside a white dome cover, with a hanging loop and a magnet on the bottom. It would work well using the magnet or hanging loop when looking under the hood or changing a tire or what not.

The really nice thing is that with the holiday season still on, you could probably find both for less than $100 total. You could leave the LR10 in the car, and carry the EA11/EC11 as an everyday EDC - the best of both worlds.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the thing with a car emergency light.
1) it's going to get ignored for long periods of time
2) temperatures in a car vary wildly and cold/frozen batteries suck
3) when you need them, it's also very likely you will still need your hands free (say to change a tire or fix something)
4) when you need them it will probably be the absolute worst of conditions (slushy rain or super cold or whatever).

So when you are considering vehicle emergency lights I typically urge people to think about the following criteria.
a) Lithium batteries. (Either CR123 or the Lithium AA or AAA batteries). They are pretty temperature independent AND have LONG shelf life.
b) BIG buttons with a proven switch design. Something you can find in the dark, with gloves on, when your fingers are already half frozen, that you know will turn on.
c) BIG body. Again something you can hold and manipulate with gloved hands, tiny lights are a pain at roadside
d) Anti-Roll design. Few things suck worse than having your flashlight roll away
e) Waterproof. I mean IPX8 kind of waterproof. I can't tell you how many people I've helped who had dead flashlights after they got dropped in a puddle or even just rained on.

Also, I strongly urge you to have a good headlamp in the car both as a backup light and because you can use that and have both hands for repairs or changing a tire or whatever.

Literal recommendations....
Flashlight

Headlamp

Last edited:

weez82

Enlightened
Highly recommend a headlamp with lithium batteries. I keep an Olight H05 Active in my glove box. Hands free light will make changing a tire much easier. As for a flashlight, whatever my edc is for the day will serve as a car light too 😀

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been looking for a light for the same role, and have been considering the Zebralight H53FC:

http://www.zebralight.com/H53Fc-AA-Headlamp-Floody-Neutral-White-High-CRI_p_195.html

Some of the feature that I like for this application:

- Can be used as a headlamp or as a anglehead flashlight when detached from the head band - even has a pocket clip.

- Uses AA cells, allowing it to run on Energizer Ultimate Lithiums (best for long term storage in a vehicle) or in a pinch easy to find alkaline AA's from a gas station or convenience store.

- High CRI for color accurate rendition (helpful when tracing colored wires).

- Floody beam for up close work making repairs.

The only real reservation I have is that Zebralight's user interface seems a bit complicated.

Would also keep my old LED 3D Maglite (running on Utlimate Lithium AA's in adapters for throw for reading house numbers and the like from a distance).

Last edited:

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zanflare F1.
1000 lumens, bright enough for looking under the hood.
USB Rechargeable, you need to buy the 18650 battery.
TAIL SAFETY HAMMER to break the window.
And on sale at grearbest for $20.
Cpf-Deaer corner, last post.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
The light I opted for just this task:
Streamlight Knucklehead

Single-button operated (no problems to use it with gloves), 200 Lumens (plenty for a wheel change - I have been forced to put it to the test), giving an evenly spread light over a short distance, utilizing 4x AA batteries, available in high-visibility colours, can tailstand, got a magnet and hook for placing options, head can tilt and swivel to get the light where you want it.

HOWEVER, it is only IPX4-rated, but that's about the only downside I can think of.

callehayes

Newly Enlightened
Hello

Thank you for the advice. Apologies for the absence the weather has been so terrible.

In addition to a flashlight in the car, I want to get:

1) Reflective cones and or triangle, should I just go to to Amazon and get any or do you recommend another vendor/brand?

2) My mechanic friend sometimes works on my car and the flashlight while good, does not light up a large area. For example when he was working on it last week under the car, it would have been great to have a rectangle shaped or similar light which he can slide under the car to illuminate the bottom of the car...something with magnetic properties will be even better!!

Any advice on these please?

Thanks!!

kpatz

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a Coast Polysteel 250 at Walmart for $16. Though I didn't buy it to keep in my car, it would make a pretty good car emergency light:

• IPX8 rated waterproof, crush proof, drop proof
  • 3 brightness levels: 320/105/30 lumens. The lower levels are handy if you need to read a map or look for something under the seat or in a glove box without blinding yourself.
  • Adjustable from a bright spot (for looking under the hood) to a wide flood (for changing a tire).
  • Large enough to hold in gloves
  • Mechanical clicky button in tail should be easy to find/use with gloves, and with a mechanical switch there's no parasitic drain.
  • Runs on 3 AAA cells... throw some lithium primary AAAs or Eneloops in and you'll be good to go for years
  • Large loop on tail cap to add a lanyard, hook, magnet, etc.

It's not perfect--it doesn't have a magnet or a pivot head for example. But at $16 you could buy one for each car.

I have one of those 2AA Energizer lights in my car now... I'm almost tempted to swap it for the Coast.

cp2315

Enlightened
Primary lithium cells work best for this case. Long storage life, hold charge for a few years, tolerate temperature changes well.

Surefire G2X pro highly recommended. Comes with 2 CR123 batteries. For $45, you are good for the next few years.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Sunwayman T16R that I won here on CPF for one car and the other car has a Coast HP1. Cheap lights that never leave the vehicle just in case. I don't list them as me owning them because they are expendable.

I still EDC other lights and headlamps...I never depend on just one light.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Coast HP1 isn't on their website anymore. But there still seems to be plenty available online.

I carry the HX5.

markr6

Flashaholic
A headlamp is hard to beat in this situation. Needing two hands to change a tire, dig into the engine bay to do whatever, etc.

I also considered adding some of those LED cones to my kit, but not needing them after 20 years of driving now, I have a hard time spending anything on them "just in case" going forward.

And the "2 is 1 and 1 is none" rule definitely applies in this situation. Or backup batteries if nothing else.

tabetha

Newly Enlightened
I carry two of the rechargeable lithium powered road flares totally waterproof they even float, magnet in centre so can be stuck on side of car, tough enough that they can be run over by cars, several flash patterns, I also carry a ultrafire WF501B, I am in AA(breakdown organisation) and frankly with some of the morons on our roads these days don't want to have my head stuck under a bonnet/hood when they hit my car, I also carry a jump pack, used around 10 times for OTHER people.
I charge the flares and torch/flashlight every other month,

Poppy

Flashaholic
I carry two of the rechargeable lithium powered road flares totally waterproof they even float, magnet in centre so can be stuck on side of car, tough enough that they can be run over by cars, several flash patterns, I also carry a ultrafire WF501B, I am in AA(breakdown organisation) and frankly with some of the morons on our roads these days don't want to have my head stuck under a bonnet/hood when they hit my car, I also carry a jump pack, used around 10 times for OTHER people.
I charge the flares and torch/flashlight every other month,
I agree with you that it is extremely important to make the site safe from oncoming traffic.
Flares, and reflective triangles are both in my trunk.

Additionally, I have two rayovac 2AA indestructables, each with it's own RED Traffic wand diffuser.

IMO, perhaps the most important light to have in a car is a traffic baton/wand.

It can be used to save the life of people in oncoming traffic, and anyone at the scene of a crash, or otherwise disabled vehicle, that is blocking a lane of traffic.

So in a vinyl bag attached to my ashtray, I keep a rayovac indestructible 2AA with a red traffic diffuser, immediately available. Also a couple cheap penlights. The 2AA is loaded with duracell NiMH (I have a 2 cell charger in the glove compartment) and a 4 pack of Lithium AAs for back-up.

4VKJIrHDP7lR1F0bjZhcBcPhLZbGpH2SycEyANmhu_kjCRbclouofHzhvM1C8uq9Oq8E8RGaEX3EnbFonlE-AXG1IrHf65SBMpNJ0L0dJ8Gx7lFoVhxijNGg-eCYFX5wdCyoF2OMdykl8sQUTSh2IFSxV6yceH2Ad7BubW3i7sqQvFhiXTFFh6Ec1PTauG95dkGRlX38gCdZi0zJX0TQDgaerkWwqcP3yMm2Sw2lUvZ2iOCw7odzkXcaXnFDcJU5T6_P8-OBzdl90h5ul0ilH9rVL62mtgZn47aJzgzmVEQwnx4DQQD9PKOxofr-U12pFMQcKXrPe3VQcelPHLEnY9crO1Vnt0U35rd8hObbnKkLgGnF1K2aE8rxMLqHP9CPYfQm51iKttAE6UMsPKWpCGmJEn8bqw6VaB8L9t3vRC3qNXqvQkjf3t3jG_9-xJWXsdgSKxZ9fKSGyNWD7nCS4S9NaJS8OGPUZ79a1tNkn9KLKwRhlXrUzlfIITDfWBtPrygT-rMwSdgEgBsrxaUDFnVBY82bPCGAhFI2DtMyZJBcgDcwHw4zJc5a1IfC-f5uY-tfn6jBSxmnf_Q3J6HAB-BI9mqcjX7V8StOrQVpngD8gK77=w436-h775-no

fRkL-Z9HQKswhiHsq0CSMCh9gS7_9GJ-IvgGt3bR7UV7Efqi5vY0XEe1RWfiuVLkMr1W-5y7LFptZoa73dUpaGnBsR9rfwd2q6ktONO-PP7crf3fjHOdduBSYF9NMsMNyKxiLwsEKMaeUTmFme0Q-NxMhRiX5GeqfL5IlB3fh2LFFqS_C49aqhod3hAaisTtLkZAsjq2toThKbjPTy8bFhxg0sqCnJcjPyRq2EoZLGs0zdlt-0KjxMVeyl5zsbfF7VlCpnUEnEDExaeHrGmYidf99Uwtvs3DtEIsPSkT4KFpzr0VV971quJPlf2Vmc2d4wR4rUoPcUNcK-PKtu3Dej_jyoU3DqpJqPiU0tl1U7-iOsXaTTkRkg09yUYMme3RNFw4fRWF21zchcm7tiBZLIx7FjW7Ge4q7e5TngsgPXY95Es1IG_EyGAqHO9ndPUCsetcT25I9RG3CSx5_1yYWaDWjxgCA95XnqOmlPLciXT6eWE0Cc2M9sskLOv97XkTy37g_NhRREBreO3g2fdYrx6G1U1WRbRskq9agJ0J9gDN0CvrSC26cMsrv3jIk_hsI9AQMmoZf1zdhHxnIqnyubwox1bJhRPi9O7ZeehfuCIyuKQn=w1378-h775-no

HRDfYAJzUw7Xqlf7APsSw0J_m0N_fWtn1Dy64z-BY2UGZy7RvCytJjDI0uZu8x1b__kBQka7mCuTxYJ6JZZoo6H__QgoWnPxM47PWvztueT_Ei5i308GIkqOSPD-LPwqVLgvD8fIm3214M6USehJk16sca8mZKZr3EHYJTtcCdLuhk5LvmH72hrj_lZxGOSZxAvIlBUxv6mHbaEyEA6SjG0mQDgxGv8Yb0wwjPviQCCxHdFrLTRu8mg03DhJlD0_E0EIcGV_J9PK9DJvNRIsSN_pje9Nq02UGTU1EeHp-qM7bIkUljpf2yfhZgBovRAQEPnb3Zu5XMWzKMS_mzGxs5EMwO87hcplwU2B7NOoAev15dao9AUz_0im4yqJ-hWFwkIYws71Tcz6BrfyF7Ndrlxib1GRPtA37DRvZgXRjPXGTR2vaWYsrjQwZDKMjAuWZwQVY1Qfn2-3az3XfdBlaevS_4Sgj8idXPHxUk6zeccr6Ke2qgecpTyMVo5MtHN5OG9zkep61Dsazv20uoPFkJWqdu_TJnGakzDsNvZ-yaqdCfVZi5dyY3YjncWb7x3uLMoCGK8l2xJ_3TkxeNfM8TNCvuMNcNzVeVmBZeDb3kzaqde_=w436-h775-no

And in my trunk, I keep a $10 Defiant 3C 850 lumen triple led, from The Home Depot.
I keep it loaded with a fully charged 18650, and a 80mm spacer, (a 1 inch diameter dowel drilled to accept a bolt cut to 80mm ( 3 3/16 inches)). The cell is wrapped in plastic taken from a water bottle, and some tape, to keep it centered and from rattling. I also have a spare cell, a digital volt meter, and two, one cell chargers. I also have three Alky C cells, that I can load it with if I decide to give the light away.

Also a 2D cell traffic baton... it is great in the daylight, even if it isn't lit!

And a Coast 3 aaa headlamp.

qBb70uxxNPkmg_bcPV3u2Se5MPLriqj4wjFceVacaJkqof5X5yGuqYZicjAKoNBawWD4I9nhbTJ_w4KiUyyP-hkW_3C8O5oe89h_Cus0tF-WShmJgTAMhlDOFjtcouXt6VubsXlX9wsnxDGHR-TLmtDjrQxbSJ7pY7uyt7kiV5aMG2h_nX4vwokmDL1zlJYlBHM1E6mmtWFqARSgqkOsVoAzpSL43yK8GesUww7rXbpec7qOsGvlVR_BeQu8kx7v1idXeM5CPEoOkhMekKDm2VSlRPN0Hvi03rZAjjOUjRAIfQi1XmCB4N_OnvqOTjJPH2stknA-W-kp4JTvhwOhIIONBB-W4vyG2AsxGLt2yhI4czRV-fqaFSyFnQSDCpICd6PNKf5EMfbJPgMhUJqyumzhbTFf9h3qS0rT8qXwu7zxb5A6GZdf91eD7wPri-5R4wGqqnMpkxJ_YbBMJ7mFqMkwJGn1qQd5SprHfyj-Odc8WKPUoJaktk1RuQwqQbmpEzV1Afg6fwB_K3k6jRVAHREAmlHciqkKjFxizKQgdR3558c5sDTx90FHncp41fxXlm_VNbJmn4bRyIz2py_FHf11OGPeCb57yumej3gYMBweQwCl=w1600-h707-no

yr-deVZ7KKDZVBA6NeAgqYIg3x6fClhgIIpTTthQyFRjuKokNJ6d52tukJogR4Upqa-dMvTc_MVzV5s4AtpQB3zIlwEm2-bCdthXCS0bBmlBaD9rYDruovg6vt7eVQl3hTD502h-XbiszRVp5mrcDt82cW7xn_5Kn7FFvCWaEEHgthmzBSknJB77UtiZIA3kEBAnhJ6rvuZ9EuO4l8Mr0cQPjLbUZkyOBJDcew8CXt7J836BQRZFve8AyzUegNwgirtKKumMSd3zuTaeBdy5SxzS8A2qEuNBnQR5bzAhZ9d9RT9sWXl8U7Ax4i9B0IC5PY2p7MWxQ3eHn3q4Zsfs_-DVv8c97RTp4j5r8DtXaVSnH78riLXVJ7-hCs5664DeIn-BN1BNC9qTM8ZXWbzJTTVxDzoImt34LPj_oeklMwdHPfoIktU7hXZpto6Tqf9NspyfOrTFwpXkXkCFQSxfprppRvp0bmLQ4RyylqFMh80RvgvUDl5kfg0GrK9yc2JFGwgOI7rbyiEArMAtjyA-yE7DsV1PWr1_StxaoRW5FO8_U8hLw5XSwxn7eNJjYnSHvvlZOQi86td73XjPzEGHyLM3Qwl4qAYqmfptPTgLVpdONKrt=w1280-h776-no

^^ charger I pulled out of a power bank. I modded it by soldering longer charging wires to it, and by soldering magnets to them.

Actually I updated the charger to a LiiTokala charger

My pocket EDC is a keychain light.
Currently (and it has been for the last year or so) it is the CooYoo Quantum.

For additional suggestions from a similar thread see.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ry-Day-in-your-Car)-what-light-is-in-your-car

Brigadier

Enlightened
In my truck I have, always, a 3 D-cell LED Mag-Lite, a JetBeam RRT-3, a 4Sevens Mini, and a Lumens Factory LED Seraph.

And always on me is a SureFire LX2.

leezg

Newly Enlightened
First time in this thread I heard about Nebo Lil Larry and ordered it.
I can say its a great light, really Bright and a excellent work lamp. I ordered the Big Larry right away.....:naughty: