Will an XP-L HI work in a deep throw reflector designed for XM-L?

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I have an old Jetbeam BC-40 which is an awesome light (twist head 2-mode powered by 2x18650 OR 4xCR124) that I'd like to bring up to date with an emitter refresh. The reflector is a deep smooth design that throws very well with the current XM-L emitter.

I have finally separated the head and it looks like an easy install with a very accessible emitter. My question is will the XP-L HI work (throw) currently with a reflector not designed for it? Would I be better off going with a standard XP-L or XM-L2?

FL-JET-BC40-2.jpg

pc_light

Enlightened
I think the fact that you're within the Cree X?? family is already a great start. When issues can arise is when one goes from an entirely different family/make of emitter to a current/newer Cree.

Based on the handful I've done, a smaller XP-L Hi in a reflector that previously held a XM-L simply resulted in a smaller hotspot. Do yourself a favor and get right-sized (XP-) LED insulation holders as well to help with centering the LED.

Good luck with mod. Are you going for more lumens, more run-time, or both?

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I'll be keeping the same driver (it's got a great setup with my favorite 2-mode UI) so I'm just going for more lumens.

Good call on the centering holder!