cloudy lens - recommendations on what to do

mjgillen

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys! I have an issue so I thought I'd ask the experts.I have a Rayovac "Indestructible" 2 AA Flashlight that I was using for astronomy so I painted the lens red with some nail polish. That worked well however I am now repurposing the light for other purposes and used nail polish remover to remove the nail polish. However, that left the lens kind of cloudy.So my question to the group is - should I try to clean up the lens or could I order a new one? If cleaning it up, what to use? Some Novus to polish it out? If ordering a new lens, would I contact Rayovac or are there other options?Thanks!Michael

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Hi guys! I have an issue so I thought I'd ask the experts.I have a Rayovac "Indestructible" 2 AA Flashlight that I was using for astronomy so I painted the lens red with some nail polish. That worked well however I am now repurposing the light for other purposes and used nail polish remover to remove the nail polish. However, that left the lens kind of cloudy.So my question to the group is - should I try to clean up the lens or could I order a new one? If cleaning it up, what to use? Some Novus to polish it out? If ordering a new lens, would I contact Rayovac or are there other options?Thanks!Michael

Welcome to the site mj.

The Rayovac lens is likely permanently fogged over due to the polish remover properties sorta melting the surface to remove the red.

Flashlight lens .com sells that size lens in plastic or glass. 26.80mm if I recall correct.

To get the head off an adjustable wrench to hold the body and some large pliers or channel locks to grip the head and the glue will break free fairly easily.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Next time find a diffuser cap - there are plenty around that should fit that size head. Worst case, get a red (or whatever color you need) gel and cut it to fit. Either to size and trust to static cling to keep it in place, or over the end of the light and use a rubber band or some string to hold it in place. You would have gotten the same results if the lens had been glass and it had an anti-reflection coating. Using anything except lens cleaning fluid on a lens, glass or plastic, is not recommended, for just the reason you discovered.

mjgillen

Newly Enlightened
Great customer service from Rayovac!

Well, I called Rayovac and they said they don't sell replacement parts for that light and to send it in they would replace it - so I did. Wow. Great customer service. Got the new light yesterday!

Michael