Review: Olight S1 Mini (CW-NWHICRI, EDC, RCR, TIR)

Budda

Enlightened
I received the S1 Mini from Olight.com for the review.

The S1 Mini is the new EDC sized CR123 powered light from Olight. That I recall, this is the first light from Olight that comes available in a Cool White version and a Neutral White HICRI one. The first one has a XM-L2 and the second a XP-G3 emitter. Each light comes with a RCR123 battery rechargeable via micro USB thanks to the micro USB port present on the battery. I got both CW and NW versions.

For this review, the unboxing is showed in this video.

My 2 S1 Mini, the CW and NW one. You can tell them apart by the different TIR optic, the HICRI marking on the tailcap, and on each bezel is engraved the version specs.
Olight_S1_Mini_05.jpg

Olight_S1_Mini_06.jpg

Olight_S1_Mini_12.jpg

Olight_S1_Mini_13.jpg

Olight_S1_Mini_04.jpg

The construction is typical for an Olight EDC Light: compact design (54x21x21mm, 43 grams), Clip that can't rotate (and now hosts a lanyard hole), electronic switch at the head, magnet in the tailcap and physical protection against polarity inversion. In the S1 Mini the battery has to be inserted with the plus pole toward the tailcap.
Olight_S1_Mini_07.jpg

Olight_S1_Mini_08.jpg

Olight_S1_Mini_10.jpg

Olight_S1_Mini_11.jpg

Beamshots
Let's start with the usual, 1 m wall hunting.
Olight_S1_Mini_14.jpg

Olight_S1_Mini_15.jpg

Olight_S1_Mini_16.jpg

Olight_S1_Mini_17.jpg

Olight_S1_Mini_18.jpg

Olight_S1_Mini_19.jpg

Olight_S1_Mini_20.jpg

On my sample the tint of the HICRI one has a green dominant.
There is a significant difference in the beam of the two lights.
Despite sharing the same design and alimentation, the 2 S1 Mini differ both for emitter and optics: the CW has the usual TIR beam (big bright spot with wide but overall less luminous spill), while the HICRI one has a much flooder beam.

This is also evident in the Outdoor beamshot.

Olight_S1_Mini_03.jpg

How about some HICRI vs LowCRI shots?
For these shots I put the camera with white balance at 5900K, the lights in the same angle and same position, but I used turbo mode for the HICRI version and High mode for the CW one, and then paired a couple of shots with comparable brightness.
Olight_S1_Mini_21.jpg

Olight_S1_Mini_22.jpg

Olight_S1_Mini_23.gif

Olight_S1_Mini_01.jpg

Olight_S1_Mini_02.jpg

As you can see, there is a big difference in terms of color rendering, and the green tint looks like its present on the CW one.

Output and runtime
Tested both with the provided battery
Olight_S1_Mini_24.png

Olight_S1_Mini_25.png

Olight_S1_Mini_26.png

Olight_S1_Mini_27.png

My thoughts
The light is well built and finished.
The UI is the classical Olight UI, with direct access to lowest, highest and last used mode.
Regulation is flat as expected on all the expected levels.
I like that the S1 Mini doesn't work on proprietary battery, or proprietary charging system/cable.
I like the two way clip that doesn't rotate, but in order to avoid scratching on the tailcap you need to either pay some attention during the untwisting operations, or add some heatshrinking wrap around the clip.

I enjoy this S1 Mini as the first HICRI flashlight from Olight, and I hope that they keep this trend in the future.
Overall, The S1 Mini is a compact EDC that packs a punch (in both versions), now with the availability of a Neutral coloration.
I would like the NW tint to be warmer (not 5500K but around 4000K), and the light coming with a pouch.

Thanks to: AntoLed for the camera, the beamshot help, the thermal equipment, and the luxmeter.

Capolini

Banned
Thanks for the review. I like the light very much. Winning it in a GAW makes me like it even more!!! I think it is awesome how small it is, yet powerful. I got the CW version after seeing another review where the beam for the HCRI light was not that good.

A few pictures:

My GAW gift along with his Brother,,,ALL little guys!

OLIGHT_S1_MINI.jpg

S10/i3S-CU-S1 Mini-USB Battery

LITTLE_OLIGHTS.jpg

My GAW gift along with his Brother,,,ALL little guys!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the CW version after seeing another review where the beam for the HCRI light was not that good.

I would prefer the High CRI. I don't like Red to look brown.

Here is another pic of the CW and High CRI S1 Minis, showing both are Green tinted.

maukka said:

My CW S Mini is also very green, and the low CRI makes red things look very brown.
24411016497_8538fa87ae_z.jpg

The High CRI makes reds look not as brown as the CW, and you can see the CW is even greener than the High CRI
Budda said:

narmattaru

Enlightened
hi, local olight dealer sent me hi-cri version for russian review, check it out, there are a lot of gifs and photos + runtime chart.

i really, really like this small stuff.

link to review

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not notice any Green in my CW and I love the extra 150 lumens also.;)

Yay! glad it is a good match for your needs, congrats

curious about why I notice green and you don't.. my guess is it has to do with the environment in which we use our lights..

I did some tests and at night, after I have acclimated to the 3000k incandescent light in my home, the CW looks green, but otoh, during daylight hours, when my brain is adapted to sunlight, I don't notice the green of the CW..

from this I infer that daylight contains more green than my CW S Mini, and incandescent has less green than CW..

no wrong choices.. just differences in time of day and the white balance of the brain in different environments. For those reasons, I like a 3000k LED in the dark of night, but not at all during daytime.. It is good to have more than one choice :)

Merry New Year