New Year resolution for flashlights

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Anybody got any resolutions for the New Year (that you know you'll break before Ground Hog Day)?!?!?

In 015 I was pressing the "place order" button at 11:55pm swearing I'd do better next year. Then by 11:00 am next day had ordered an NIP SureFire 6P (when they were on eBay for $25).

I didn't even bother to make New Years resolution in 2016 for 2017, but did make it a few days before buying any lights. When it began raining NIP Pentagons at Amazon I had to act and fast.

This year my resolution is to be more picky than last year. Nothing complicated. I turned off the one click settings at eBay and Amazon during the summer so it's a bit of a procedure to actually order anything.

I think my resolution should include avoiding the WTS section here.

scout24

Flashaholic
I'll promise myself only old school P60 hosts. Or, only HDS this year. Or only Oveready. Something equally arcane. Or I'll say that I'm saving up for something, no other purchases until I buy that one. Lol. I've met me. None of that's going to happen. First, there's just too much good new stuff out there. Second, I'm easily distracted by shiny stuff, even after 9 years here. Though, to be fair, there are two on BST right now that I'm resisting so far... I did have the Paypal Twitch when I saw them both though...

Edit- Okay, three on BTS...:eek:

Last edited:

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Anybody got any resolutions for the New Year (that you know you'll break before Ground Hog Day)?!?!?

In 015 I was pressing the "place order" button at 11:55pm swearing I'd do better next year. Then by 11:00 am next day had ordered an NIP SureFire 6P (when they were on eBay for $25).

I didn't even bother to make New Years resolution in 2016 for 2017, but did make it a few days before buying any lights. When it began raining NIP Pentagons at Amazon I had to act and fast.

This year my resolution is to be more picky than last year. Nothing complicated. I turned off the one click settings at eBay and Amazon during the summer so it's a bit of a procedure to actually order anything.

I think my resolution should include avoiding the WTS section here.

I concur with the idea of always trying to be more and more picky.

I had resolved not to buy anything from Prometheus Lights until I could get my Blue Label made for me, however I never actually managed to get my hands on one of my own. But, here on CPF, an Alpha custom became available and I picked it up. It just happened to be the finish I wanted and an emitter I really liked and in almost new condition too.

I feel that shopping the WTS section here at CPF can still certainly qualify for being picky. Where else will you find rare and/or discontinued lights from the likes of Malkoff, McGizmo, HDS, 47s, Cool Fall, Muyshondt, Tain, Prometheus, Vihn G, OVEREADY, Peak, SureFire, LensLight, and many others?

Shopping CPFs WTS section could be the ultimate example of being picky if you're looking for something in specific, like say McGizmo PD-S or a Lunasol...
In cases like that, it's here you can be a connoisseur. [emoji41]

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll promise myself only old school P60 hosts. Or only Oveready. Something equally arcane.

Sounds like Oveready P60 hosts would do it (I sold fire & ice 6Ps two weeks ago..., still have a fire).

I'm planning on selling more off in the new year, hanging onto the McGizmos and the bulk of the Overeadys...., and the...

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
I have a Fire C2, and a bored HAIII black 6P from Oveready. Trying to not look at the new unified P60 hosts...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I started out the year with a Pentagon eX2 and tonight likely my last one for 017 was an NIP PX2. I considered the Pentagon version of SureFire's G2 all year and today decided to pull the trigger.

Unless I see an incan E1 at a geat price, that should be it for this year. (Or if SureFire ships my back ordered EDCL2-T before 12/31).
(Edit: got shipping notice from SureFire. Yippeeeeee)

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm tempted to try one light for one year and put any and all buying on hold. Probably setting myself up for a major fail but it could be a nice exercise in self control and simplifying. Also good for the brain not obsessing over what's next or what else. Anyone tried an extended trial with strictly one light? Again in my day to day this isn't a HUGE DEAL because I don't rely on a light for work or anything major.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quote from gurdygurds:
"In 015 I was pressing the "place order" button at 11:55pm swearing I'd do better next year. Then by 11:00 am next day had ordered an NIP SureFire 6P (when they were on eBay for $25).

I think my resolution should include avoiding the WTS section here."

Hey Friend,
I hate to contribute to your addiction, but I know you were looking for a Malkoff AA light & since I won't part with mine...I found one on the 'bay for a great price so I had to let you know...

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
i'm tempted to try one light for one year and put any and all buying on hold. Probably setting myself up for a major fail but it could be a nice exercise in self control and simplifying. Also good for the brain not obsessing over what's next or what else. Anyone tried an extended trial with strictly one light? Again in my day to day this isn't a HUGE DEAL because I don't rely on a light for work or anything major.

My "go to" light is one I bought in June 2016. My backup was bought in September 016. Both sit on my nightstand, go with me to the shower each day and go where I go throughout day (or night). So I suppose it's do-able for a flashaholic to buy one for the entire year. But like a box of crayons... the more the merrier.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well now you gotta tell us which two lights they are!! Also i'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that takes a light to the shower :D

QUOTE=bykfixer;5167578]My "go to" light is one I bought in June 2016. My backup was bought in September 016. Both sit on my nightstand, go with me to the shower each day and go where I go throughout day (or night). So I suppose it's do-able for a flashaholic to buy one for the entire year. But like a box of crayons... the more the merrier.[/QUOTE]

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A clipless PKDL PR-1 and black version of his PL2 (with a PK DL prototype hat clip and nite-ize quick release) (A microstream clip was used until PK did some stainless ones)

Not for everybody I know but for my uses they fit my life just right. Oh, I carry other stuff as well but those dudes fit in me trouser pockets like chapstick and pocket knives. I carried a Coast HP1 and Streamlight Microstream for about a year before acquiring those.

I also have a Streamlight Nano on a necklace, but that stays home mostly.

Last edited:

JohnSmith

Enlightened
I'll be swearing off expensive, gorgeous lights with amazing capabilities that are less reliable than $10 Walmart specials

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
This year my resolution is to buy a light with at least 15,000 lumens and at least 2,000 meters throw.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I'll be swearing off expensive, gorgeous lights with amazing capabilities that are less reliable than $10 Walmart specials

Are you referring to any lights in particular? Totally a serious question. Not being sarcastic. Just curious.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I placed an order for an HDS EDC Rotary HiCri 200 in early December and it is expected to ship in mid-January. This seems to be my "perfect light" and will be the single most expensive light I've purchased so far.

I am resolved to not spend another penny on lights until May 1, 2018.

We'll see how that goes...:cool:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
No light specific resolutions. I've been pretty good the last few years, excepting foursevens' clearance. So all I need to do is continue the same.