Newbie confused needs help choosing

soulzaeb

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone, I'm new here, and I don't even know if this is the right section to ask advice, admin, please move/delete my post if this is in the wrong one :mecry:

Anyway, I'm new in the LED flashlight market, and I am torn in buying my 1st flashlight. First off, I want a tactical one, with the strobes and self defense modes and what not, next I would prefer a good throw over flood, preferably high lumens output and if possible a single battery flashlight so as it is compact, I have no restrictions for amount or weight. My top choices as of the moment are Nitecore mh20gt, Imalent dn70 or Olight m2r warrior.

Please, please help me decide. Thank you so much in advance c=

cp2315

Enlightened
Welcome
The light popped up in my head is klarus XT12GT. Read some reviews your self. I have one and am quite impressed.

Keitho

Enlightened
First thing that jumped into my head was the Acebeam L16, about 1500 actual lumens, great tactical UI, good balance of throw/spill, nice value at $100. If you consider that one, consider the extra $15 to have Vinh mod it with your choice of LED, and boost the output--might be the deal of the century on the skylumen website.

Also, might want to do some reading about the actual tactical effectiveness of strobe. There is great disagreement on this topic, which I'll summarize by saying that it isn't universally accepted that a strobe feature is useful in any but a very small fraction of tactical situations.

soulzaeb

Newly Enlightened
Welcome
The light popped up in my head is klarus XT12GT. Read some reviews your self. I have one and am quite impressed.

Ohh I remember I came across this one already before. Thank you for adding to my list of confusion mate haha :) This has a really impressive throw to beat the MH20GT! Thanks again.

soulzaeb

Newly Enlightened
First thing that jumped into my head was the Acebeam L16, about 1500 actual lumens, great tactical UI, good balance of throw/spill, nice value at $100. If you consider that one, consider the extra $15 to have Vinh mod it with your choice of LED, and boost the output--might be the deal of the century on the skylumen website.

Also, might want to do some reading about the actual tactical effectiveness of strobe. There is great disagreement on this topic, which I'll summarize by saying that it isn't universally accepted that a strobe feature is useful in any but a very small fraction of tactical situations.

Wow this is the direct competitor for the Klarus XT12gt which was suggested earlier. Thank you for your input, I'm trying to find the Vinh mod you are talking about. Thanks again.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Skylumen is the website. He is Vinh Nguyen here.

Take your time and consider what user interface would work best for your application.

Where are You? If you are not in the United States then maybe something direct from China might be more timely.

soulzaeb

Newly Enlightened
Skylumen is the website. He is Vinh Nguyen here.

Take your time and consider what user interface would work best for your application.

Where are You? If you are not in the United States then maybe something direct from China might be more timely.

OMG im such a noob, that is why nothing is showing up when I type in Vinh mod. Because it is a name of the person haha. Yes i checked the SKYLUMEN website, they even have some custom lights there. I am currently residing in the PH, but I can still have it shipped in CONUS as we have tons of relatives there who regularly comes here as well. I am trying to find a vendor here locally though so I can have my hands on one asap :p Thanks again!

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also suggest the Acebeam L16.
How far do you really need for the light to throw? For high lumen with decent throw I am very impressed with my Acebeam L30, but the Acebeam L16 does throw better with less lumen.

Last edited:

soulzaeb

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the recommendation guys, but my local light supplier said that the L16 current revision has "some issues". Is this true? Or is he just trying to up sell me to buying another?

Keitho

Enlightened
First I've heard of "issues"...you might want to ask for some specifics (the store might have distribution issues with their supplier, for example). Or, get from Vinh for a great warranty.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is your local supplier a dealer for Acebeam? Some suppliers will get benefits from manufacturers for selling their products, but ask what the specific issue is as Keitho mentioned. I don't have any issues with mine.
Thanks for the recommendation guys, but my local light supplier said that the L16 current revision has "some issues". Is this true? Or is he just trying to up sell me to buying another?

soulzaeb

Newly Enlightened
Is your local supplier a dealer for Acebeam? Some suppliers will get benefits from manufacturers for selling their products, but ask what the specific issue is as Keitho mentioned. I don't have any issues with mine.

I honestly don't know and probably won't buy from him anyway since he sells it expensively, I however found a better seller.

Anyway, thanks for all your input guys, I'm leaning toward the xt12gt now. Happy New Year to all!

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
I honestly don't know and probably won't but from him anyway since he sells it expensively, I however found a better seller. This is what he messaged me....

@soulzaeb I am not familiar with messaging on FB, but if that is not posted openly somewhere accessible to the public, please edit your post to remove it, per Rule 12 ....

It is not appropriate for any member of CandlePowerForums to post and/or quote in the open forums any part of a private communication that is authored by someone other than themselves. This includes, but is not limited to, emails and private messages. Private communications, for these purposes defined as anything that is not originally posted in the open forums, are just that - private.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good Luck on your purchase of the Klarus XT12GT.
I honestly don't know and probably won't buy from him anyway since he sells it expensively, I however found a better seller.

Anyway, thanks for all your input guys, I'm leaning toward the xt12gt now. Happy New Year to all!

CobraMan

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a Klarus XT12GT a little over a year ago and it is one fine light with great throw, super quality, and a form factor I really like. For whatever this tiny bit of input provides!

Enjoy,
Tim

soulzaeb

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a Klarus XT12GT a little over a year ago and it is one fine light with great throw, super quality, and a form factor I really like. For whatever this tiny bit of input provides!

Enjoy,
Tim
/

wow so you have had a year of testing it already. I can't wait for mine. I guess you didn't encounter any issues then, since you didn't mention any. Thank you for the input though c=