1x 18650 no mode tiny flashlight

Brutus

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone reading this,

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light in person from a brick and mortar store. I am located in the Netherlands
____This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Up to $50.

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
As small as possible with a 18650 inside of it.

5) Emitter/Light source:
____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:
____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18650).

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
____I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
____I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
____I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

I don't really know. Something normal? Just normal EDC things. being able to read something, see something when the light goes out, in house, in a forest, under the couch, perhaps mount it to my handlebars if my front light fails and I have to get home so I can at least be seen. nothing really special.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____Less than 5 meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 meters (check out a noise in the backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
(EDC, might drop it)

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights). recessed if possible.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
(I very strongly dislike modes)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____I don't care.

15) Water resistance

pocket sweat resistant.

16) Storage conditions

____Other: in my jeans pocket, next to my multitool

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

prefer not much bigger than the battery. recessed switch would be nice so it doesn't turn on in my pocket.

Keitho

Enlightened
SC64 (various choices of LED) are the smallest 18650 lights I know of, though they are over your budget and side switch. I don't have issues with accidental activation, and the anodize is amazingly tough next to keys in my pocket. UI is programmable...choose your levels and runtimes, or make it a single mode light.

For tail switch and under budget, you step up in size to convoy S2+ or similar, which many people EDC (I did for years).

Brutus

Newly Enlightened
edit: was posted double. thought it went wrong.

Last edited:

Brutus

Newly Enlightened
SC64 (various choices of LED) are the smallest 18650 lights I know of, though they are over your budget and side switch. I don't have issues with accidental activation, and the anodize is amazingly tough next to keys in my pocket. UI is programmable...choose your levels and runtimes, or make it a single mode light.

For tail switch and under budget, you step up in size to convoy S2+ or similar, which many people EDC (I did for years).

I hope this comment goes through.

Thank you for your comment. i think the SC64 is a bit much for my application. I'd rather have one I can easily replace if it breaks in the future.

The Convoy S2+ is the perfect size (according to the pictures, it's a lot smaller compared to the SC64), but it's a multi mode flashlight. I have tried several similar lights, but they all ended up in the trash because of the modes. I even tried out more expensive multi mode flashlights, but those were (in my opinion) bad as well, due to the modes.

Keitho

Enlightened
The Convoy S2+ is the perfect size (according to the pictures, it's a lot smaller compared to the SC64), but it's a multi mode flashlight. I have tried several similar lights, but they all ended up in the trash because of the modes.

The SC64 is smaller than the S2+: about the same max diameter (24.1 vs 24.5 mm); but, the SC64 necks down to a smaller diameter for most of the length; overall length is shorter (93 vs 118 mm), and weight is less (38 vs 70 g). Also, the SC64 is programmable--if you want a single mode light, you can spend a few minutes setting it up when you get it (choose whatever level you want), and never do anything else except single click on (or double click, or press and hold), single click off.

The choice between the two is pretty stark: expensive, smallest/lightest, durable, choice of LED colors; or, inexpensive, not-quite-as-small, attractive, choice of body and LED colors.

Also, I haven't used them, but there are folks who will customize the firmware on an S2 for you, if you want a single mode interface. It might add a few bucks, but would probably still be half the price of an SC64.

Best of luck!

Brutus

Newly Enlightened
I still can't see myself spend 70 on a LED light. For 20 I *might* consider that light.

I honestly don't care if the light looks attractive, if I have LED colors etc. Just need something I throw next to my knife, lighter and multitool, in the same pocket, that just works. I don't want to mess with all that stuff.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solarforce L2P can be had for very little money and be ordered with a single mode P60 drop in module. You could even just get the flashlight body and find another drop in from somewhere else to provide the lumens.

Maybe even their T1 would be a good fit for you, tighten the head for max output only and loosen to cycle between medium and low. While there are several other lights that have this feature, most are above your budget limit. If you are willing to go above the $50 mark then I might have different recommendations. Notably a Surefire G2X or an older 6P.

Edit: Just did some more looking around and you might be able to find a Surefire G2X for right around the $50 price point. I mean the single output Tactical or Law Enforcement models not the Pro which has two modes. But of course the Surefires can't use 18650s...but I use 16650s in mine.

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a "multimode" but what about the emisar d4? It acts like a singlemode and turns on and off with a simple click, but can do way more than that if you want it to. So the ui is based around a one click on off thing with ramping to the level you want, and shortcuts to all the other stuff you wont need :) Goes from silly bright to really dim, set the output you like and youre done. The emisar d4 thread is looong in here, so i guess there is a lot of flashaholics in here that really love the "ramping, single mode" ui, and the silly brightness in a tiny light. A big plus is that it's fairly cheap and you can choose from many types of led's and coulor tempratures.

Last edited:

Brutus

Newly Enlightened
@Keitho:

The L2p doesn't appear to be a current model. Can't find it for sale on this side of the planet or china. Does appear to be a good light.

Cheapest link for the G2X that I can find is 95 euro's, not including shipping. Bit much tbh.

Brutus

Newly Enlightened
@jorn:

That light really surprises me. I got some googling to do. Only 1.87 shipping to my country. It might be a tad bit big, but that light can go from normal to incredibly bright easily it seams. I'm going to read up on that light. Thank you for that advise. Might not be entirely what I was looking for, but I might buy that. It's at least not like the normal mode lights which are so annoying.

Last edited:

Brutus

Newly Enlightened
@kyhunter1 appears to be a decent light. still not sure about the modes. found one english review on youtube that appears to like it and it at least defaults to bright. Can't find it for a normal price though.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Emisar D4 will turn on in low with a "press-hold" ( instead of a "click" ) . A "double-click" takes you to max .

Of course, you can use it as just "click on / click off" if you prefer.

It is a side-mounted switch, however.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Another option, thinking outside the box a bit, could be the Peak Logan (17500)

Although I think this may match the spirit of what you are wanting, you would need to make do with only 17500 size cells max, and price might be a bit over your budget (especially with shipping etc)

Also should mention that you would need to request single mode (non-QTC) output and momentary switch options.

Last edited:

Brutus

Newly Enlightened
the problem with the sidemount that i can see is that it might turn on in my pocket. as long as an on/off works, it might be ok. I bought two other small lights to try them out (were recommended to me outside of this forum, the singfire sf 348 with a 10440 battery and the astrolux a01 with an aaa battery, both dirt cheap super light lights which might be nice for when I'm wearing a suit) but will buy this light when I figure out which lens and led i wish to use. Even if it's too big for my pocket, it might be a nice backup for in my backpack.

The peak logan is way outside my price range. seems like a great light, just not going to buy that. I've bought a car for less than that (not even joking, had it for a year)

Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Brutus, what do you dislike so much about lights with modes? Many lights with modes can be used pretty much as single mode lights with a single click to turn on or a single click to turn off. The other modes require a different button press to access.

Brutus

Newly Enlightened
Hi Brutus, what do you dislike so much about lights with modes? Many lights with modes can be used pretty much as single mode lights with a single click to turn on or a single click to turn off. The other modes require a different button press to access.

So far, all the flashlights that I've had or held, that had modes, were pretty much useless due to the modes. you accidently click twice and you blind the entire room with a strobe, you expect it to turn on just normally but at random, it sends an SOS signal instead, ones that suddenly decide to start in a random mode when you turn it on. Since I've never had the need for a different mode, I don't see why I would annoy myself with a flashlight that has them. So far, my experience with modes have just not been very nice. I see it as a liability, not a feature.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far, all the flashlights that I've had or held, that had modes, were pretty much useless due to the modes. you accidently click twice and you blind the entire room with a strobe, you expect it to turn on just normally but at random, it sends an SOS signal instead, ones that suddenly decide to start in a random mode when you turn it on. Since I've never had the need for a different mode, I don't see why I would annoy myself with a flashlight that has them. So far, my experience with modes have just not been very nice. I see it as a liability, not a feature.

I understand. I greatly prefer certainty of the mode that I turn my light on in and not being surprised. My Zebralights are very easy to start in the mode that you want to start in, since which mode you start in depends on whether you do a quick click or hold the button down. My Manker E02 is also easy to get the desired mode on the first try. Neither of those lights uses an 18650 battery, though.

The light I use the most is a Coast HX5 1AA light that is 1 mode with momentary on and adjustable focus because it is easiest to deploy from my back pocket.

I don't own any 18650 lights.

Good luck in your search.

alf_17

Newly Enlightened
The Convoy S2+ has been mentioned before, with the addition of getting a custom firmware.

If it was me who had your requirements I would also most likely choose the Convoy S2+.
But instead of a custom firmware I would choose to purchase one of the single mode driver boards available (at least on the Convoy Aliexpress shop).
If you do not feel like swapping the board yourself, try writing to the shop owner, maybe they are willing to ship a complete single mode S2+ to you.
The S2+ model is available in many configurations, so I believe they manufacture on demand, so a single mode version should not be an difficult order to fill for them as they have the single mode driver in their shop.