Kidde (brand) Recalls Fire Extinguishers with Plastic Handles

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Checked mine and it's being recalled (home use model purchased around 2004). Called and they said they will ship my replacement within 15-20 business days.

Kidde Product Safety Recall

Kidde Recalls Fire Extinguishers with Plastic Handles Due to Failure to Discharge and Nozzle Detachment: One Death Reported

Plastic Handle Fire Extinguishers

The recall involves 134 models of Kidde fire extinguishers manufactured between January 1, 1973and August 15, 2017, including some models that were previously recalled in March 2009 and inFebruary 2015. The extinguishers weresold in red, white and silver,and are either ABC-or BC-rated.The model number is printed on the fire extinguisher label. For units produced in 2007 and beyond,the date of manufacture is a 10-digit date code printed on the side of the cylinder, near the bottom.Digits five through nine represent the day and year of manufacture in DDDYY format. Date codes forrecalled models manufactured from January 2, 2012 through August 15, 2017 are 00212 through22717. For units produced before 2007, a date code is not printed on the fire extinguisher.

Killer Kane

Newly Enlightened
Guy on my team lost his house on Christmas Day.
Total loss to fire.
Smoke detectors went off. Saw glow from closet and opened door and luggage on fire.
Went to get fire ext and #1 failed. Went grabbed #2, failed. By the time he came back with #3 closet was fully involved.
Had his fire ext checked for recall. They all checked out prior to fire. But 2 failed to dispense when he needed them most.
Have to get with him to see what brand he had.
I say be safe and go with another brand.
10 min is all it took to totally consume his home.

Killer Kane

Newly Enlightened
imagejpeg

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my replacement today. Return label included, called fedex and they will pick up tomorrow to return defective extinguisher.