Petzl tikka LED upgrade?-organ pics

browndude3649

Newly Enlightened
Hello have this old user from work, i'd like to mod as a first timer project.
I'd appreciate some help spending money at Mtn electronics or other on which pre-flowed star/led combo to order
for a AAA x3 headlamp. i'd "like" to put a 400lm-600lm deal in there and YIPPEEE.
This TIKKA is the one with the sliding flood light reflector-out front for wide beam spread. and red LED with low battery LED.
https://brownsanta75.smugmug.com/Petzl-tikka-sliding-wide-beam-model/i-C9fT4vN/A

https://brownsanta75.smugmug.com/Petzl-tikka-sliding-wide-beam-model/i-nt2qhxQ/A

https://brownsanta75.smugmug.com/Petzl-tikka-sliding-wide-beam-model/i-nt2qhxQ/A

thumbnail

thumbnail

thumbnail

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hello, although this thread is perfectly fine here in Headlamps, I suspect you will get more interest and advice over in Homemade / Modified subforum

If you want to have the thread moved, feel free to notify staff here (but please don't open a duplicate thread)

Good luck !

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see them now. Wow, that has almost no heat sink. That's one issue. The second is that you might be stuck using that stock driver. unless you can find a way to put in a new FET driver and a decent amount of heat sink, it will be difficult. Even if you are looking for about 500 lumens, it will need far more than what is currently there.

You've considered that if you use a whole different driver, that you'll lose the low-power red LED. Are you thinking about keeping the 3x AAA batteries as the source?

browndude3649

Newly Enlightened
I can see them now. Wow, that has almost no heat sink. That's one issue. The second is that you might be stuck using that stock driver. unless you can find a way to put in a new FET driver and a decent amount of heat sink, it will be difficult. Even if you are looking for about 500 lumens, it will need far more than what is currently there.

You've considered that if you use a whole different driver, that you'll lose the low-power red LED. Are you thinking about keeping the 3x AAA batteries as the source?

I'd love to keep it as is and stuff a 10mm sinkpad star that'll push 500 lm I could grind a bit of the reflector to fit the height of sinkpad . Is 4.5 volts enough to run

• Copper MCPCB for XP-G, XP-G2, XP-L, XT-E, 3535, & Nichia 219 LEDs?

browndude3649

Newly Enlightened
[h=1]So this is bare led
Cree XP-G3 R2 3000K 90+ CRI LED - Bare[/h]
  • Approximate light output: 492 lumens @2A - 25 degrees celsius
  • Color temperature: ~3000K
  • 90+ CRI
And then this combo
[h=1]Cree XHP35 HI D4 5700K on DTP Copper MCPCB[/h]
  • Color Temperature: 5700K - Between Cool and Neutral White
  • Output Bin: D4
  • Output: 560-600 lumens @ 350mA @ 85C
  • Manufacturer's Rated Drive Current: 1050mA @ ~12.5 vF
    • Maximum Drive Current on a DTP MCPCB: 2500mA
HOW far off am I in my expectations?

Szemhazai

Enlightened
Very very far...

The optics in this headlamp is so specific for this LED that's it's almost impossible to get deecent beam shape.

The LED is soldered to the PCB board, and it is not electrically isolated.

The top current that you can get from this driver without r-sense rezistors modification is arround 200ma.

Basically a lot of work and a crappy mod base. The best idea is to look for the latest ssc p4 emiter, you will get about 50% morę light that you currently have.

browndude3649

Newly Enlightened
Very very far...

The optics in this headlamp is so specific for this LED that's it's almost impossible to get deecent beam shape.

The LED is soldered to the PCB board, and it is not electrically isolated.

The top current that you can get from this driver without r-sense rezistors modification is arround 200ma.

Basically a lot of work and a crappy mod base. The best idea is to look for the latest ssc p4 emiter, you will get about 50% morę light that you currently have.

Is This 5w from flea bay a usable candidate?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/172315038722?var=471133680841