small headlamp with headband for long term storage in medical kit

bubbatime

Newly Enlightened
I do a lot of tactical (gun) training, and am in the process of building a medical kit (tourniquet, combat gauze, chest seals, pressure bandage, etc)

One person recommended having a small headlamp in the kit, since many trauma events do happen after dark. Makes sense.

I'm looking for a small headlamp that can fit in a kit.

Must have head band.

Must have a long term storage battery (lithium?) or the ability to use a long term storage battery.

Must be small.

Must be under $30, or close.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a perfect case for the Zebralight H53Fc with an Energizer Ultimate Lithium battery installed, and tail cap locked out.
- kind of pricy for a light that you won't be using midst of the time, but it will be about perfect if you ever need it, high color rendering, diffused beam, long runtimes, and capable of lighting an area for multiple people working around a casualty.

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
They haven't been around long enough to have a good gauge of their reliability, but the Manker E02H and E03H are small, light, and affordable, and reported to have a decent build quality. Since they're AAA and AA powered respectively, you can use lithium primary batteries to maximize their storage lifetime.

They also are optionally available with a high CRI Nichia LED, which might be helpful identifying body fluids, assessing skin tones, etc.

Occasionally, one of the Armytek Tiara models will go on sale for close to $30. They are very solidly built, although a bit heavier than other brands, and a few users have had quality issues. I've got no complaints about mine so far.

A great many headlamps use an electronic switch instead of a mechanical clicky switch. These types have a very small standby drain that over months or years could deplete the battery. The tip eh4 mentioned of "locking out" the tailcap by unscrewing it half a turn or so is a good one for an emergency kit. You just have to remember (perhaps tape a note to the headlamp) to tighten the tailcap when it's time to use it, or else store the battery out of the light - it only takes a few seconds to put it in and screw the tailcap back on.

Tusk

Newly Enlightened
Thrunite TH20 with an Energizer Ultimate Lithium battery.

bigfoot

Enlightened
Best value IMHO: Petzl Tikkina for $19. Take the other $10-11 and buy some Energizer lithium AAA cells for it.

I briefly tried out the newer Petzl e+Lite, but for the poor light it puts out (both tint color and beam profile), and the coin cells that feed it, it's just not worth the $25-30 anymore. (The old model with 5mm LEDs was a better design, too.) Headlamps have come a long way in the last few years. If you want a secondary red LED, but still dig the tacticool look, go for the basic Petzl Tactikka at $29.

32490216045_7af6b8955d_b.jpg

33736404226_a4f2ea955e_b.jpg

Last edited:

1000cri

Newly Enlightened
FYI the red LEDs on the Olight H05 aren't bright enough for illumination, they're diffused and don't have a lens or reflector. They do have a flash mode though.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
I briefly tried out the newer Petzl e+Lite, but for the poor light it puts out (both tint color and beam profile), and the coin cells that feed it, it's just not worth the $25-30 anymore. (The old model with 5mm LEDs was a better design, too.) Headlamps have come a long way in the last few years. If you want a secondary red LED, but still dig the tacticool look, go for the basic Petzl Tactikka at $29.

I agree with all of that--the other Petzl's are far more capable, better light, better run-time.

The *only* advantage of the e+LITE is its tiny size. Depending on the kit, that may be a significant advantage. Even if you throw in a pair of spare coin-cells, you will have a light+strap+spare cells that is about a third the volume of any other solution.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was surprised that no one mentioned the Fenix HL10. Uses a single AAA battery and so it could utilize an Energizer L92 lithium battery for long term storage. This is a neutral white and beautiful tint beam. Current regulated constant output and three output levels. They come in different colors. I saw these on a good sale once and bought several for family members. If I was to put together a medical kit with headlamp, this is the light I'd probably get, Otherwise I just have a single AAA light in mine.

1000cri

Newly Enlightened
I was surprised that no one mentioned the Fenix HL10. Uses a single AAA battery and so it could utilize an Energizer L92 lithium battery for long term storage. This is a neutral white and beautiful tint beam. Current regulated constant output and three output levels. They come in different colors. I saw these on a good sale once and bought several for family members. If I was to put together a medical kit with headlamp, this is the light I'd probably get, Otherwise I just have a single AAA light in mine.

Nice, I didn't know there were any single AAA headlamps like that for that price. A right angle AAA light with pocket clip you can clip onto a shirt would be an even more compact option, like the Manker E02.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't laugh!

The Ozark Trail 225L "Auto Brightness" headlamp (currently on clearance at Walmart) is the plastic fantastic.
WAAAAAAY better than you'd think (I'm working on a Real World Review)

Put 3xAAA lithiums in it and a spare set in a decent battery case and forget about it until you need it.

And remember, I'm one of those guys who is always saying "spend the money to get a quality emergency light".
Seriously, I don't know how this light came to be but it is a hell of a lot better than its price point suggests.

Last edited: