The Flashlight Hedonic Treadmill

wweiss

Enlightened
The quest for more lumens and throw is the flashlight Hedonic Treadmill.*

My message count shows that I'm relatively new to this forum. I am not new, however, to the use of flashlights.

My first flashlight was a new, 1962 Eveready 2 D Cell Right Angle Khaki finish Boy Scout Light with Small Safety Lock side Switch, Ring Hanger and Vertical Log. I now have an Alpha ready-made, C2 Prime, 3 Wizard Pro, TN32 UT, Predator Pro v3, ZL SC600w III HI, S2R Baton, S Mini TI Baton, TN12 (v2016) and a Streamlight ProTac 3.

The Boy Scout light, a heavy clunk in my hand, probably produced at best maybe 30 lm with 2 new D batteries. Throw was about 25-35' and CRI was 100. With these specs, it lit the long, winding and scary rocky pathway to and from the latrine every night during my first two weeks ever away from home at Boy Scout camp. I loved that light, with it's hefty bulk, color and "official" coolness - it did the job. That huge reflector also did something else – it was a broad enough beam to give me 'situational awareness' in the very dark woods. It gave me a sense of well-being that many of my lights today do not. Except for two, maybe three. Even in Yellowstone.

The S2R Baton (terrible tint), S Mini TI Baton (NW) and the Wizard Pro(HI CRI).

Why these? They all have great 'situational awareness' factors. Here in rural SW Connecticut where I am in the process of moving, dog and woods walking is an art and a science. There are many Fox, Eastern Coyote, Skunk and Raccoon. And maybe a Bobcat. These lights give me effectively 160° of 'awareness' with more than enough far out front Lux to satisfy my own perceived ability to deal with any glowing eyes and confrontation. This means enough time to fumble the air horn out of a deep pocket and give "them" a blast. Enough time for my wife to do it as well.

Of all my lights, the ones most EDC'd are those that have a wide 'SA' factor and at least 500 lumens.
All the others, those magnificent throwers, sit on the sill, waiting....

("The hedonic treadmill, also known as hedonic adaptation, is the observed tendency of humans to quickly return to a relatively stable level of happiness despite major positive or negative events or life changes.") read, "new lights" for "life changes"

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still carry 'lipstick' sized lights, everyday.

I have many that just sit, but for my everyday needs, a Sunwayman V11R, EagleTac D25C Ti. clicky, Olight S Mini and probably my new Emisar D4 219C will still be what I stuff in my pocket going forward in 2018.

I still enjoy a new light every now and then, but I'm good for now.

They're more of a tool for me, albeit interesting ones.

Chris

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a lifelong fascination with light, how it behaves, and the things that create light from fireflys to the sun to lamps and flashlights. At my age I fully realize that is just never going to end.
So it's nice that I get enough recognition that companies still occasionally send me things to review because I can see "whats new" and then re-gift or whatever so I'm not overwhelmed with stacks of lights (GRIN).

As for what I actually USE on a regular basis, that is a much more select club.

• A super-tough, simple, reliable, keychain light capable of at least 90 lumens (An Inova X served this role for years, I recently switched to the Nitecore Tini)
  • A basic function, totally weatherproof, Lithium compatible, handlight for the vehicle gloveboxes
  • A good headlamp (also for the vehicle gloveboxes) to allow "hands free" use in a vehicle emergency like needing to change a tire
  • A solid, broad beamed "Trail Walker" for nightly walks w/the dog and/or my wife
  • And a pair of charge cradle mounted "door lights" that can be grabbed at any time to see what is going on outside, in the back yard, out on the street, etc.

Even though I have a LOT of other lights to play with, the ones filling those functions really haven't changed much in about 3 years.

Lumen83

Enlightened
Why these? They all have great 'situational awareness' factors. Here in rural SW Connecticut where I am in the process of moving, dog and woods walking is an art and a science. There are many Fox, Eastern Coyote, Skunk and Raccoon. And maybe a Bobcat. These lights give me effectively 160° of 'awareness' with more than enough far out front Lux to satisfy my own perceived ability to deal with any glowing eyes and confrontation. This means enough time to fumble the air horn out of a deep pocket and give "them" a blast. Enough time for my wife to do it as well.

Have you spotted any of those animals so far?

wweiss

Enlightened
I have a lifelong fascination with light, how it behaves, and the things that create light from fireflys to the sun to lamps and flashlights. At my age I fully realize that is just never going to end.
So it's nice that I get enough recognition that companies still occasionally send me things to review because I can see "whats new" and then re-gift or whatever so I'm not overwhelmed with stacks of lights (GRIN).

As for what I actually USE on a regular basis, that is a much more select club.

• A super-tough, simple, reliable, keychain light capable of at least 90 lumens (An Inova X served this role for years, I recently switched to the Nitecore Tini)
  • A basic function, totally weatherproof, Lithium compatible, handlight for the vehicle gloveboxes
  • A good headlamp (also for the vehicle gloveboxes) to allow "hands free" use in a vehicle emergency like needing to change a tire
  • A solid, broad beamed "Trail Walker" for nightly walks w/the dog and/or my wife
  • And a pair of charge cradle mounted "door lights" that can be grabbed at any time to see what is going on outside, in the back yard, out on the street, etc.

Even though I have a LOT of other lights to play with, the ones filling those functions really haven't changed much in about 3 years.

Sounds as though you agree with my premise...

wweiss

Enlightened
I still carry 'lipstick' sized lights, everyday.

I have many that just sit, but for my everyday needs, a Sunwayman V11R, EagleTac D25C Ti. clicky, Olight S Mini and probably my new Emisar D4 219C will still be what I stuff in my pocket going forward in 2018.

I still enjoy a new light every now and then, but I'm good for now.

They're more of a tool for me, albeit interesting ones.

Chris

Agreed, Chris - it's what you carry that says it all...

Lumen83

Enlightened
Yes! And a horn blast sends them away like magic...

Thats amazing. I spend a lot of time in the mountains of the National Forest at night and never get to see any of them. The predator species ironically seem to be the most illusive at night, regardless of the light I use. I try red LEDs, Blue LEDs, Green LEDs. I thought maybe the Reds or Greens would help me get closer to animals that don't see well in that spectrum, but no such luck. I've seen quite a few Fisher during the day, along with Coyotes, Fox, Raccoons, and Skunks. But, despite my best efforts I've had no such luck at night and always thought they were spooked by the light. I've even tried floodier lights with more natural tint hoping that I could get closer. It may be that where I live they are a lot less used to people and are spooked by scent and sound.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
As for that hedonic adaptation, my lights Always make me happy!

Except momentarily when they need a recharge or a battery swap.

But quickly I restore my Inner light with one of two backups on my person I switch on!

- LetThereBeLight!

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a nice level of happiness when I walk at night with a large flooder and/or a large thrower and/or a large power thrower. My relatively stable level of X45vn happiness is similar to my relatively stable level of X65vn happiness, which is also similar to my relatively stable level of TN42vn happiness.

My level of happiness when I do not have the thrill of a large flooder and/or a large thrower and/or a large power thrower in my hand? Not much lower, because I have many varied items in my gratitude list.

wweiss

Enlightened
@Lumen83
Yellowstone is the same way. In all the wilderness camping there I never saw a thing at night (good), but at dusk we once did meet a 400LB cinnamon on the Stockbridge trail at Hellroaring creek. Scared the shite out of me....
Here in CT the coyotes howl and talk to each other at dusk from the more dense wooded areas separating residences. They have taken dogs under 20LB at dusk and harassed dog walkers- rare but it happens. Little marine air horn works like I had shot at them with a cannon...

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Hang that air horn on the old D ring loop from the scout light...You can

also condition them to stay away if you take a **** wherever your dog does. Just carry a squeeze bottle. They see your dog, but smell a huge predator. So your dog becomes a huge predator.

Last edited:

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
I have a nice level of happiness when I walk at night with a large flooder and/or a large thrower and/or a large power thrower. My relatively stable level of X45vn happiness is similar to my relatively stable level of X65vn happiness, which is also similar to my relatively stable level of TN42vn happiness.

My level of happiness when I do not have the thrill of a large flooder and/or a large thrower and/or a large power thrower in my hand? Not much lower, because I have many varied items in my gratitude list.

What the world needs is a good backpack mounted car battery with quick-connect power cables to plug in the light we grab from our Bat Belt array...

Taz80

Enlightened
There really isn't much truly rural land in SW CT. there for the animals tend to become used to humans and their dogs. Coyotes are quite ballsy and will sometimes shadow you and your dog. Skunks aren't usually bothered by people unless startled, if they start to turn their back on you and lift their tail its time to beat a hasty retreat. Skunks don't like dogs much and washing a dog thats been sprayed sucks, so I carry at least two lights. A floody light with wide spill so I can spot the eyes and a thrower so I can see whats behind them.

wweiss

Enlightened
There really isn't much truly rural land in SW CT. there for the animals tend to become used to humans and their dogs. Coyotes are quite ballsy and will sometimes shadow you and your dog. Skunks aren't usually bothered by people unless startled, if they start to turn their back on you and lift their tail its time to beat a hasty retreat. Skunks don't like dogs much and washing a dog thats been sprayed sucks, so I carry at least two lights. A floody light with wide spill so I can spot the eyes and a thrower so I can see whats behind them.

You are right - When walking the large Labradoodle, I usually carry two of this set - Olight SR2 Baton, Armytek C2 Prime NW, Zebralight SC600W III HI, Thrunite TN12 NW (2016) or an Alpha Ready-Made. I like all of them and wish elements of each could be combined into one perfect light. Just when I favor one for a few nights, the others beckon. End of the day, the marriage of a flood with a center punch spot is ideal, so the Zebralight wins. I just wish the ZL beam had more of the situational awareness spread of the SR2 Baton or the Alpha...