2 x CR123A safe flashlight

recDNA

Flashaholic
I need a very safe idiot proof 2 x CR123A flashlight for my friend. He wants to run only on primaries so it must be completely safe on its highest power on primaries. It therefore must have heat controlled stepdown and low voltage warning of some kind.

Ideally I would want 900+ lumens
15,000 + cd
Cannot easily change modes so he won't accidentally end up in strobe or something. Maybe a high mode on tight head and low on loose head. Nothing that changes modes by quickly turning it on and off.
This is a gift so I don't want to spend a fortune... let's say under $90.
Must be available and returnable to. an American dealer. Nothing that must be sent back to China if faulty.

Ideas? Thanks so much.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Ya he'll think the single cell models are toys. They seldom offer enough mass to dissipate heat and certainly wouldn't hit my specs.

I could be flexible about specs but he only says he wants BRIGHT so a 200 lumen model wouldn't cut it.

This does not have to be pocketable so it should have some mass. It will be his garage light he will take out in the yard to look at the gutters etc.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Ya he'll think the single cell models are toys. They seldom offer enough mass to dissipate heat and certainly wouldn't hit my specs.

I could be flexible about specs but he only says he wants BRIGHT so a 200 lumen model wouldn't cut it.

This does not have to be pocketable so it should have some mass. It will be his garage light he will take out in the yard to look at the gutters etc.

I'm going to run some rough numbers by you, to support my general idea that what you want does not (currently) exist.

Let's use the Malkoff HD XML2 as an example ... (all following numbers are approximate)

• 1000 lumens
• 20,000 lux @ 1m

• 5.5 - 12V

• runtime on 2x CR123A primaries of ~ 15 min, implying ~ 4C (!) draw - not recommended by manufacturer
• even on a (calculated) max safe (continuous) draw of 1.5A @ 6V, that is providing only ~9W to a 12+ watt module

Are they likely to ensure that all primaries are fresh, matched, and high quality cells ?

recDNA

Flashaholic
No way he will do that so can you suggest max I can get and suggest a light? Format of light will not change.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A Streamlight ProTac HL-X.

You can show him how to ten tap it to get high only or low/high instead of factory hi/strobe/lo. Well within your budget, available from places like Optics Planet or Bright Guy so customer service is taken care of.

I realize this suggestion doesn't check every box, but it's an easy to use, very bright, very safe, very dependable little flashlight used by many professionals who need their light to operate easily, properly and every time.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everyone who has contributed to this thread, including the OP, has considerably more experience on the forum than I, so I will tread lightly. I just wanted to point out that any 2xCR123 device that operates at ~900lm will have a significant programmed step down due to the limitations of the fuel supply. Since you'll end up in the 500lm range pretty quick, why not just start there? Depending on the reflector/optic, it should be enough light for the task you've described. Seems altogether safer anyway, since I gather that your friend is not a trained, diseased flashaholic.

recDNA

Flashaholic
A Streamlight ProTac HL-X.

You can show him how to ten tap it to get high only or low/high instead of factory hi/strobe/lo. Well within your budget, available from places like Optics Planet or Bright Guy so customer service is taken care of.

I realize this suggestion doesn't check every box, but it's an easy to use, very bright, very safe, very dependable little flashlight used by many professionals who need their light to operate easily, properly and every time.
OK then a suggestion at 500 lumens that matches other requirements?
Everyone who has contributed to this thread, including the OP, has considerably more experience on the forum than I, so I will tread lightly. I just wanted to point out that any 2xCR123 device that operates at ~900lm will have a significant programmed step down due to the limitations of the fuel supply. Since you'll end up in the 500lm range pretty quick, why not just start there? Depending on the reflector/optic, it should be enough light for the task you've described. Seems altogether safer anyway, since I gather that your friend is not a trained, diseased flashaholic.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK then a suggestion at 500 lumens that matches other requirements?

Fair point. I don't know of an exact match. I was thinking along the lines of an Elzetta Bravo or Bones, but they come in over budget. We'd have to be talking about one seriously good friend. Has he saved your life at any point?

Really, it's the UI that makes it a challenge.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Fair point. I don't know of an exact match. I was thinking along the lines of an Elzetta Bravo or Bones, but they come in over budget. We'd have to be talking about one seriously good friend. Has he saved your life at any point?

Ya he's not going to listen to a long story about clicking x times etc. Maybe a tac type high only that drops down with heat? Jetbeam used to make a bc series light with just a high and medium loose head tight head thing.

I think the new ones also change modes with rapid on off so he'd never know what mode he is in. I think the new ones have 4 modes too. Good for me bad for him. My guess is he'll only use high.

Anybody know anything about the Jetbeam BC25SE? I think it hits my goals. Don't know about safety. Just found one on Amazon. They are no longer built.

Last edited by a moderator:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

I'm at a loss too, based on the budget amount. Lumens wars and all things settings has this request daunting me right now.
PK's FL2 comes to mind, or others from a couple of years ago. But none that I know of have a low voltage warning.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's one from outside the box. A Malkoff M91 flashlight would provide 700 sustained lumens and has the desired UI. The list price is $134, but 15% off coupons are easy to get. It's a tad over budget and it involves a third lithium primary cell, which adds complexity and danger as well as overall length. It also has a low voltage warning flash below 5 volts.

Maybe his flashaholic friend can provide quality cells and a stern talking to about battery safety?

jack0458

Newly Enlightened
I don't know anything about specs or the technical stuff. I have had several flashlights in the past few years and only want what I use. I don't collect. So, I say BUY a Fenix PD32. Now there is a 2016 edition but I think I have the model before that. Here is a link (edit) . This will tell you about the light. As far as buying one if you decide to prices may differ on ebay, amazon, etc. But in my experience price differences are slight. I got mine by accident because I ordered a lightthat was no longer available and was offered the PD32 for the same price whichwas considerably lower. I agreed and have been extremely happy with thelight. Especially since it cost me about 30% less than what they weregoing for at the time. This light turns on with the tail switch. Any brightness changes are made using a switch on the side of the head light. It is almost impossible to accidentally change brightness because of the position and size of the switch. In fact until I was more familiar with the light I found it a bit difficult to find the switch. Now I am familiar with it and using the light is very easy. After about 15 different lights I now have two that I depend on. The Fenix PD32 for a more powerful light and a Fenix LD02 for a pocket size (one AAA battery). These lights have one thing in common. VERY easy to use. I think these two paired in a gift box would be a perfect set for a gift. Even if the gift is for yourself.:D I hope this helps. Fenix PD32. Check it out.

Jack

Last edited by a moderator:

jack0458

Newly Enlightened
I don't know anything about specs or the technical stuff. I have had several flashlights in the past few years and only want what I use. I don't collect. So, I say BUY a Fenix PD32. Now there is a 2016 edition but I think I have the model before that. Here is a link (edit) . This will tell you about the light. As far as buying one if you decide to prices may differ on ebay, amazon, etc. But in my experience price differences are slight. I got mine by accident because I ordered a lightthat was no longer available and was offered the PD32 for the same price whichwas considerably lower. I agreed and have been extremely happy with thelight. Especially since it cost me about 30% less than what they weregoing for at the time. This light turns on with the tail switch. Any brightness changes are made using a switch on the side of the head light. It is almost impossible to accidentally change brightness because of the position and size of the switch. In fact until I was more familiar with the light I found it a bit difficult to find the switch. Now I am familiar with it and using the light is very easy. After about 15 different lights I now have two that I depend on. The Fenix PD32 for a more powerful light and a Fenix LD02 for a pocket size (one AAA battery). These lights have one thing in common. VERY easy to use. I think these two paired in a gift box would be a perfect set for a gift. Even if the gift is for yourself.:D I hope this helps. Fenix PD32. Check it out.

Jack
Oops. Sorry about the link. :D

recDNA

Flashaholic
I was considering the pd35tac model but strobe is one of the 3 main modes so ng. The Jetbeam BC25GT seems to meet most of my targets but no reviews readily available. The knock on the BC25SE was that it was only 720 lumens but advertised 960. 720 would do but the GT is the newer model.

PD32 looks like a nice choice for pocket carry. Couldn't find the deal you mentioned but it is only $61 at the fenix official retailer. Kind of a lot. of modes. for my friend but really not complicated. I don't think it has much throw but throwers with bigger heads are more expensive.

We're getting somewhere now. Some good suggestions to check. Maybe some more. coming after the weekend or tonight?

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most all 2xCR123A lights nowadays will also take a 18650 light. I'd use the rechargeable 18650 over the CR123A's. Considering the issue with the potential to mix non matching CR123A batteries, I would not recommend a 2xCR123 for the general public. (just my feeling about it). I found out that my brother-in-law got a Fenix TK16 and then gave my other brother-in-law also a TK16. They had no idea what a 18650 rechargeable was and were using CR123A batteries......buying them locally for a ton of money. He likes REI and I'm sure that he must have gotten them there because I don't think he did much research at all. I'm like guys, do you not know who the flashlight guy is in the family....LoL? So I had to get them rechargeable 18650's, chargers and also gifted a single CR123A light so he could use the batteries. He told me he really likes the single CR123A light and probably uses it more than the TK16.

As far as using a light like the PD32 or other similar light with a side mode switch........since those have mode memory, if he's only going to use the highest modes most of the time, I don't think it matters that there are also the other modes........he simply sets it to where he wants it and doesn't need to press that mode button again.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Well I decided to go the cheap route although I'm still interested in suggestions since he may very well not like my choice and I may want to keep it!

I got a great deal on the Jetbeam BC25GT with the Nitecore 1834r 18650 both for $47. Just plug the battery into usb and the battery charges all by itself. When I explain that to him I'm hoping he will use it. If not he can use 2 x CR123A and I can always use another rechargeable battery. I'll try charging the battery myself first to make sure it doesn't overheat or blow up or whatever.

I am still intrigued by some Fenix models so checking around for deals. Seems like Fenix has the best name and rep.