Coast PX25 Replacement

kgrant

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to replace my Coast PX25. I'm happy with its size and output, but I'm tired of buying AAA batteries.

I need it to be usb rechargeable, a bulls eye beam and a tail cap switch.

I don't need multiple modes. I would prefer 1 mode similar to my PX25.

Budget is $100

Thanks

kgrant

Newly Enlightened
Sorry I should have included the PX25 specs.

https://coastportland.com/product/px25/

4c7f8dd7dd12f4e33ecfda02bae71767.jpg

kgrant

Newly Enlightened
If you like your Coast, have you considered rechargeable AAA Ni-MH eneloops?

I've thought of that. I'm using AA eneloops in my headlamp.

I do have one issue with my Coast, the terminals need cleaning every 2 weeks. The light will start to flicker and fade when they get dirty. Coast does offer a rechargeable battery pack.

I kinda just want a new light.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're stuck on USB rechargeability, then I'll let the other guys chime in. If you're willing to deal with rechargeable eneloops, then I'd recommend the Malkoff M31 module, the VME head, and the 2 X AA body. The cool white version will produce 280 lumens and it will have one mode only. This comes in at about $135, but 15% off coupons are easily obtainable. It's essentially indestructible, but comes with a lifetime guarantee. It's also modular. The individual components are interoperable with other Malkoff parts. I have a ton of Malkoff equipment. Can't say enough good things about the company.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "bulls eye beam," but this will have a hot spot with generous spill. It's not a pencil beam thrower.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear about your bad luck with your PX25 OP. Mine has been flawless for years now. Bullseye Beam=think a lower output PD35 beam profile. Larger than average hot spot, thin corona, dimmer than average spill only out to almost the edge of the profile. The outermost spill of the Bullseye beam is designed to be a brighter ring around the spill. This kind of profile is why it is called a Bullseye Beam by the maker. My copy sure looks like that.

I am not aware of any other lights other than the Coasts and some Lensers that have this kid of profile. Wow..this is actually a tough one.

There is the $20 Coast HX5. On a SINGLE AA cell the output is half the PX25. The $20 HX5 with a lithium Ion 14500 cell in it pushes output to I believe 340 lumens. It is push pull variable focus. It is missing that brighter OUTER corona, the edge of the spill though.

kgrant

Newly Enlightened
I'm using it for reading gauges and tracing out piping in ceilings. Too bright and you can't read the gauge. I need to be able to comfortably carry it in my pocket.

I also use it as a pointer showing people things, the bulls eye is nice for that.

Maybe one of the inspection lights would work? But the ones I've seen are pen lights.

The Malkoff look nice, more than I'm wanting to spend though.

How do the magnetic chargers hold up? I'm going to be around allot of dirt and grime, metal shavings/ grinder ect. Is the magnet going to get covered and not be able to wipe it off? Or worse, short out?

R.W.D.

Enlightened
Are you against pen lights? There is a USB rechargeable pen light from streamlight in which the charge port it protected from crud because the head screws down over it as a cover.
You could also check out the rechargeable S1R or S2R baton lights from olight. Both are under $100 and are rechargeable via a magnetic charger. That could be a deal breaker for you if they are going to collect crap on them.

kgrant

Newly Enlightened
Are you against pen lights? There is a USB rechargeable pen light from streamlight in which the charge port it protected from crud because the head screws down over it as a cover.
You could also check out the rechargeable S1R or S2R baton lights from olight. Both are under $100 and are rechargeable via a magnetic charger. That could be a deal breaker for you if they are going to collect crap on them.

I'm not against pen lights, I just didn't think they'd have the output I need. I'll look more into them.

I liked the look of the olight baton series. I'll have to dig more and see if I can find some action shots.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
kgrant I have most of Olights magnetic charging tail lights as well as most of Olights Baton series with the powerful magnet beneath the tail cap that is meant to adhere magnetically as a small easy to carry magnetically stick the tail to something metal pointing the beam in whichever direction you need illuminated so you can perform tasks with both hands free.

They are awesome! Unfortunately the magnets are strong to the point where they 100% attract anything within up to an inch of the magnetic base.

The magnetic rechargeable tail Olights are very very powerful. If you are not careful with say an Olight R50 you will be constantly having to carefully remove anything remotely metallic that will get stuck to as to not damage the magnetic charging circuitry.

The built in recharge feature you desire for what tasks you posted you need them for....even has ME at a loss as to WHAT light would meet your standards for the tasks you posted you desire one for. I will keep an eye out for the combination of features you need. Should I find anything I will post back here. But as far as I know unless Coast has suddenly introduced a micro USB w/quality micro USB cover...you may need to step up into CUSTOMS.

Check out the Mods/Modders light section of CPF. There HAS to be one of them that can produce exactly what you want. It will likely wind up costing possibly TWICE as much as your stated budget but the plus side is that you can specify almost every single feature you want. Good luck.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Zoomie if you need a part time pointer and a part time close up light.

Coast used to make a mighty fine pocket sized 1xAA number called the HP1. They can still be found on Amazon. $10-20....

I use mine for working on cars outside. The spot position of the head lights up shadows caused by bright sunlight. When slid to flood it really spreads out the beam making it great for up close use.

On/off only clicky that allows tailstand and a burley clip for pocket carry. The clip can be removed. Oh, octogan shaping at the rear keeps it from rolling away. No strobe, no settings to scroll through.

Mine is like 4 years old and still works every time.
I use eneloops in mine.

Or check out the Coast website for their USB zoomie options.

Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Coast HX5 might be an option. It has the bulls-eye spot, but it's not a real tight or real intense spot, and it adjusts to flood fur up close work. I've carried and used one daily for about a year. It works great on one AA NiMh rechargeable.

In the 2AAA format, the Nitecore MT06 has a similar bullseye beam profile and range.

I don't have any USB rechargeable lights with that beam profile.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The Coast HX5 might be an option. It has the bulls-eye spot, but it's not a real tight or real intense spot, and it adjusts to flood fur up close work. I've carried and used one daily for about a year. It works great on one AA NiMh rechargeable.

In the 2AAA format, the Nitecore MT06 has a similar bullseye beam profile and range.

I don't have any USB rechargeable lights with that beam profile.

HX5... aint that the HP1 replacement?
I remember a thread a while ago about the HP1 update and it was a _ _ 5 but I don't recall if it was HX or not.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
HX5... aint that the HP1 replacement?
I remember a thread a while ago about the HP1 update and it was a _ _ 5 but I don't recall if it was HX or not.

Maybe. The HX5 only has one output level and has a quite functional 2-way clip.

kgrant

Newly Enlightened
So the last few days I've been using my Fenix E12 with eneloop at work. I really like the size, much more comfortable in my pocket than the PX25. 90% of the time it's bright enough, but it would be nice to have more throw at times. The lack of memory is very annoying in this application since I'm always using high mode. And I miss the momentary on function. The E12 is a great light and I enjoy using it at home but not at work.

So I've given up on my replacement needing to be usb rechargeable. Here is what I'm looking for now.

Readily available off the shelf, nothing custom.
Single AA
Regulated
Memory
Tailcap switch with momentary function
More throw than flood
No magnets
Under $50
No twisties

I found a couple I like, but would enjoy more input.

Streamlight 88061 ProTac 1L-1AA
ThruNite Archer 1A V3

Thanks!

kgrant

Newly Enlightened
I ended up buying a Fenix RC05 SE. I've been using it for about 4 months at work.

The beam has a little more flood than the Coast. I really like the compact size. The tail switch is nice, though a bit stiff. It is loosening up the more I use it.

The momentary on has a long enough delay to be really annoying, so I don't use it. The light is almost too short to use momentary on with your thumb and not cover the lens with your pinky and palm. If I hold The light between pointer and middle fingers, I can barely hold it tight enough to switch the light on, it wants slide between my fingers. The switch could use some work. Maybe I got a dud?

The magnetic charging is handy, but it does attract debris. So far this hasn't been too annoying. I use a stronger magnet to occasionally clean the connections.

Overall I'm very happy with this light, it was an upgrade from my Coast.

Last edited: