Do you pre set the focus of your Maglite?

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
In other words, set your reflector to full spot (or whatever spot in the focus range that you prefer) when the head is fully tight.

I forget where I saw the instructions on how to do this, although I'm sure it won't be hard to find again online. I had done this on a few Maglites 10 or so years ago, and I liked it.

You have to mark the reflector with a pencil, and start over a few times if it slips when you tighten it, but I don't recall the full procedure at this point.

I haven't seen much mention of this in a while and just wondered if any of the Mag users are setting the focus.

JT

GasganoFJ60

Newly Enlightened
I imagine it's just as you described. Perhaps set the head down tight, remove the lens ring and rotate the reflector as needed. That's an interesting idea. I may have to adjust mine to be on full spot when the head is fully seated.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Wow, 11 days. I'd given up an anyone replying to this thread. Yes, it's an interesting thing to do. I usually have to do it a few times to get it right, because as the bezel starts to get tight the reflector slips and turns a little when you're not wanting it to.

It's also a good time to grease your orings in front of the lens and on the front of the head so you don't have to take if off for a while after you get it just where you want it. Let me know how it goes.

JT

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

GasganoFJ60

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for the delay but I just saw your post. Unfortunately, Maglite isn't well loved around these parts, or any online community, so postes pertaining to Mag are probably either ignored or lost in the flood of other topics.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this it? I found using the forum search. I first tried "prefocus mag lite", then "calibrate mag lite":

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ow-To-Calibrate-your-Maglite-C-D-focus-system

I usually just focus it for the distance I plan to use, and then put it back down and don't mess with it. The "all the way tight" focus doesn't matter to me a whole lot, but I guess it could be useful for people.

Yep, I don't adjust mine either. I have mine set to full spot all the time..if ever I need more flood I do it while in use, then put it back to spot before putting it away. But I never need to have more flood.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I don't use focusable flashlights too often, but I don't really "pre-set" my Lens-Light to any particular beam shape .... It takes only a moment to focus or unfocus it.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
@Alaric, Yes, that's the thread. Thank you very much. Wow, over 10 yrs old. I guess "calibrate" is the word I was missing when I searched. I had forgotten the part about marking the top at the center, then marking the inside.

Funny, I was gonna say "it's a perfectionist kinda thing" … and I see that conversation went on in the old thread too.

@Gasgano, I know what you mean, Mags don't get much love on the forums these days. Seems like most Mag threads turn into a big debate about whether they're good or evil. I mostly use my Fenix TK47UE for everyday lighting, but I still like Mags to collect, modify, or use as a backup. Lately I've taken a liking to the C models, and to the older heaver pre letter D models.

JT

bykfixer

Flashaholic
In the incan days there was a sweet spot in a Maglite beam that wasn't all ugly-fied with rings and filament shadow... or at least not bad.
I could definitely see the merits of having marked points on the head and bezel.
But with LED versions that beam isn't as bad... well 016 forward beams I mean. "Classic" bodies with LED also shared an ugly Mag-ness. Yet in it's heyday the Maglite was a very popular light, ugly beam and all.

Matter of fact many-a-modder used Maglite platforms back in the day.

I set my beam where I like it on lights you can either switch off via button or when twisty UI at times the tailcap can be used to turn it on/off. (ML25 for example.)
The artifacts and shadows have never bugged me enough to mark that perfect part or really be bothered if it had rotated a bit out of focus. I've never bothered trying to shim the bulb forward either.
I like vintage lights so the imperfections to me are part of the charm, and some of those 1920's-30's lights accel with a whole buncha charm. (If ugly beam is considered charm).

Folks use the word 'tint snob' to describe LED coloring. I'm a bulb snob after discovering some bulbs put out a lot less ugly than others. And in many cases the globe can really affect the spot/spill aspect. So finding a bulb that satisfies the want of a particular Maglite to me is easier than trying to 'calibrate' the light.

Last edited:

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
What about when you get one of those incan bulbs that has a filament that must lean off to one side, so you never can get a round spot? ... just an ugly elliptical blob. I've actually banged the head off of the carpet floor to center up the filament, with positive results on some occasions, not all.

JT

ven

Flashaholic
I have done it with all the Mags i have had over the years. The last 3 Mags which are 2D (2 bulb and 1 LED) were all focused, usually tighten up head, then back out a little to focus for around 20ft or so. I never use the flood, the crazy shaped hole in the centre just drives me nuts! Speaking of which, i started to watch Bloodline(netflix series..............only watched a little bit so not sure if any good yet............i digress) and he used a mag(looked like a 3D), the beam had a crazy hole in the centre. I just thought how the heck can anyone use that!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have done it with all the Mags i have had over the years. The last 3 Mags which are 2D (2 bulb and 1 LED) were all focused, usually tighten up head, then back out a little to focus for around 20ft or so. I never use the flood, the crazy shaped hole in the centre just drives me nuts!
<snip>
... and he used a mag(looked like a 3D), the beam had a crazy hole in the centre. I just thought how the heck can anyone use that!

If you look at older movies like (I never imagined saying this is an old movie) 1980's Clint Eastwood or other cop movies... yeah they had the mega-hole beam'd flashlights. I started calling it a bulls eye beam back when because everything lit but the target.... the bullseye of the target was the dark spot.

When I got my first 6P I wondered how the heck they overcame filament shadows and rings. Then I discovered a 3 cell bulb in a 4C Mag was not much brighter, yet it was so much cleaner. Tadaaaah! That's how it's done. Overdrive it enough to glow brighter but not enough to annihilite the life span. Xenons seem to be able to withstand the most. Kryptons, well my 4c has a 3 cell krypton using alkalines. Vacuum/argon don't work that way. They last a couple of minutes then quickly dim to nothing, melts the filament like butter. So places that sell KPR bulbs are a good source and XPR too. PR based Mag xenons work best but can be pricey. Say $6 vs a $2 XPR.

A simple search for say for example.. 3.6 volt flashlight bulb (3 cell) will yeild a few places that sell them in boxes of 10, sometimes $0 shipping.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought I was obsessive, but I guess not obsessive enough to bother with this for typical C and D cell Mags with side switches, I just focus the beam by twisting the head and leave it at that......one thing I do is mark twisty Mags (Mini Mags, ML25's) with little strips of white gaffers tape (light colored duct tape or glossy bandage tape from the first aid kit would probably work as well as would a couple of dabbes of paint or nail polish). What I do is cut two small strips of tape and put one on the barrel and the other on the head, lined up with the light on and the beam focused. When I want to turn the light on and not have to fiddle around to find the focus, I just line up the two little strips of tape - the white tape can be seen in low light and felt in no light (once the light is turned on their is enough light spilled back to see them).

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for the info mr fixer, I too was quite taken back by the 6p beam....heck still am when I fire it up!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thought of this thread at 4:30 am yesterday.
I had a speaking role at a conference 2 hours from my home. It had snowed over night.

In my jammies I started my vehicle and noticed a headlight was out. Now ordinarily I would've had a flashlight in my pocket, yet had dashed outside without one. My truck lamp has a funky ground issue I've not solved yet. One where hitting enough bumps causes the headlight to turn off. Driving home the night before the light had turned off shortly before I arrived. A slight twist of the bulb assembly gets it going again.

It was dark and cold. I reached into a crevice to find the bulb assembly to twist but no dice. Where is it?

In my truck is an ML25 with eneloops. Aha!! I use the tailcap to turn it on/off with the beam set for throw. In this case I needed flood. Yet when it reaches flood it's right at the edge of off via the twisty switch. Being a flashaholic, I ended up spending like 5 minutes trying to find the perfect beam... barefoot and in short sleeves standing on snow in a windy 12°F weather....all for a 5 second use to find the bulb assembly and get the headlight working.

When I got home I found the sweet spot for flood and placed a pair of dimples of fingernail polish on the light, so that next time I won't end up hospitalized via hypothermia due to finding the perfect beam with a Maglite....

Where a jacket and slippers next time? Pffft, no way. My Maglite is dialed in now baby.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
:laughing: awesome stuff mr fixer...................you rock!:rock: I was never sure if it was OCD kind of thing, or flashaholism..................latter sounds better:D But yes, if i am using a light and it just is not right, i will certainly spend more time sorting or swapping than what the job may entail. After all, us flashaholics can not settle for a 2nd best beam........no way!

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Thanks for the bulb info byk. Interesting concept. I just got a box of new/old bulbs with some Maglite parts I bought from a guy, so I'll have to experiment a little.

That's funny about fiddling around with it out in the snow. Sounds like something I'd do when I have my mind set on something… come hell or high water.

Yes, the black hole sucks. For 15 yrs that I used Mags as a Realtor, I don't think I've ever used them on anything but full spot, or backed off just enough to make the spot a little larger, but before the spot appears.

Hats off to the Mag collectors who still use Mag incans for daily use, but I'm not able to be that dedicated, after using Malkoff and Fenix multi mode 18650 lights. I still like collecting, repairing, experimenting with Mags, but after inspecting hundreds of houses with dim incan 2 & 3Ds (then with the early blue LED upgrade), today's LED world is what I've been waiting for. The beams are so nice, and instead of fooling with focus, I switch between 5 levels of brightness. Around 300 – 350 lumens, medium on my Fenix TK47UE, seems great for anything indoors, basements, etc., but when I'm walking up the street at night, I like to go through the modes, and light up the whole side of the mountain with 1000, then 3200 lumens. I guess I'm a mode changer. And of course, I enjoy being able to strobe an obnoxious animal or friend sometimes. So my Mags are mostly on backup duty in the vehicles and around workbenches. I want to make a shelf or cabinet for the old & unusual ones.

I'll eventually try one of the modern Mags. I know they're more useful, but for now I'm stuck on the older ones. They're around for such great prices, and they seem to have character.

JT

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
Back in the 80s I'd buy the Rayovac replacement Incan bulbs. They had a different shape that eliminated almost all of the funk in the beam. The hole in the middle was nice and consistent and same for the halo. Just twist until the hole was gone. I burned through so many of them bulbs. I still see them at Meijer every now and then when I look. Makes me want an Incan maglite sometimes. But I needed an extra bulb on hand at minimum, never knew when it would go out.

Today all I have is the ML25LT and it's a twist only, no button. Just twist to the nice hot spot and it runs forever with no step down. The tiny 177 lumens really throws with little spill. No spill back splash and that tight beam makes it a good long run user for medium throw needs. I actually use it more than I thought I would. Sometimes barn raiding coons get into some tight spots and little to no backsplash with more than enough candela on target is what I need peering into tight spots. Just before I end their raiding careers