Up for pre-order. NITECORE MH23 1800 lumens 1 18650

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Evolution of the MH 20. More throw N brighter.

FL-NITE-MH23-2.jpg

"Equipped with a powerful CREE XHP35 HD LED that produces a scorching 1800 lumens with 322 yards of throw, the MH23 is ideal for search and rescue, outdoor excursions and everyday carry."

http://www.nitecorestore.com/NITECORE-MH23-Flashlight-p/fl-nite-mh23.htm

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
Evolution of the MH 20. More throw N brighter.

FL-NITE-MH23-2.jpg

"Equipped with a powerful CREE XHP35 HD LED that produces a scorching 1800 lumens with 322 yards of throw, the MH23 is ideal for search and rescue, outdoor excursions and everyday carry."

http://www.nitecorestore.com/NITECORE-MH23-Flashlight-p/fl-nite-mh23.htm
I really like this as a possible upgrade from my old Zebralight SC600II.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like this as a possible upgrade from my old Zebralight SC600II.
Although this looks nice, I would go for one of the new SC600 series over this personally.

I have owned both the MH20 and the SC600 series and the ZL blows it away in almost every way. It's brighter, a lot smaller and lighter, has much better build quality, potted electronics, tougher anodizing, better thermal regulation, a more advanced and efficient driver, a more durable recessed button, a much more advanced and deluxe programmable UI, and better customer support.

The only thing the MH20 really has going for it is the built in charging, two stage button, a bit more throw, and the more advanced voltage readout.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if they will come out with a MH23GT as well? Some neutral white options for both would be nice as well(the MH20 was offered in NW but, the GT was not).

cp2315

Enlightened
Although this looks nice, I would go for one of the new SC600 series over this personally.

I have owned both the MH20 and the SC600 series and the ZL blows it away in almost every way. It's brighter, a lot smaller and lighter, has much better build quality, potted electronics, tougher anodizing, better thermal regulation, a more advanced and efficient driver, a more durable recessed button, a much more advanced and deluxe programmable UI, and better customer support.

The only thing the MH20 really has going for it is the built in charging, two stage button, a bit more throw, and the more advanced voltage readout.

I have to agree with you. I got mh20, mh20gt and sc600 3 HI. The ZL has been in my daily rotation since the first day, no matter what I got later. The nitecores mostly stay in a drawer, get played briefly once in a while. I used to think mh20gt could be my best edc because i am a throw person. So wrong I was

recDNA

Flashaholic

A BIT more throw? You're kidding right? It also can use protected batteries and has a much more elegant means of checking the charge. In a pinch you can also plug it in to charge your battery! I actually find the ui easier to use and remember.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
A BIT more throw? You're kidding right? It also can use protected batteries and has a much more elegant means of checking the charge. In a pinch you can also plug it in to charge your battery! I actually find the ui easier to use and remember.

It depends what version of each we are talking about. The regular SC600 and MH20 throw about the same. The SC600 HI significantly outthrows the the MH20. The MH20GT significantly outthrows the HI. But, all of the MH20 versions are significantly larger then the SC600's and their larger SMO reflectors explain any advantages in throw.

They can only use button top cells.

Notice I mentioned the more advanced voltage readout.

Features and throw aside, ZL and Nitecore are really in different classes. It is like comparing a KIA to an BMW.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
It depends what version of each we are talking about. The regular SC600 and MH20 throw about the same. The SC600 HI significantly outthrows the the MH20. The MH20GT significantly outthrows the HI. But, all of the MH20 versions are significantly larger then the SC600's and their larger SMO reflectors explain any advantages in throw.

They can only use button top cells.

Notice I mentioned the more advanced voltage readout.

Features and throw aside, ZL and Nitecore are really in different classes. It is like comparing a KIA to an BMW.
The thread is about the MH23. Even without a GT model (yet) it far outthrows ANY version of Zebralight.

I'm not prjudiced since ZL62w is my edc. I consider use of button tops a plus not a minus. Both my MH20GT and sc600 are uncomfortable to pocket carry. No question MH23 even more uncomfortable but I wouldn't pocket carry any sc600 without a holster and MH23 is fine in a holster.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thread is about the MH23. Even without a GT model (yet) it far outthrows ANY version of Zebralight.

I'm not prjudiced since ZL62w is my edc. I consider use of button tops a plus not a minus. Both my MH20GT and sc600 are uncomfortable to pocket carry. No question MH23 even more uncomfortable but I wouldn't pocket carry any sc600 without a holster and MH23 is fine in a holster.

No it actually doesn't. It only slightly outthrows the HI. The HI is about 18000cd and the MH23GT is 21600cd.

I never said it was a minus and I agree. I was just pointing out that they both have cell limitations. ZL can only use flat tops and Nitecore can only use button tops.

Personally, I find the SC600 perfectly comfortable to front pocket carry. I didn't really mind the MH20 either but, it was getting a little large. The MH20GT and MH23 would be too large for me. Any would be ok in a holster for me but, I am not generally a holder fan as they dig into your waist in many positions.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC my SC600 MkIII HI in my left front pocket, and don't find it too bulky (in pleated-front khakis).

I would find the MH2x series too darned big for a pocket.

gjlWEk9
Here's a comparison of the size of the two, side-by-side from a reddit user:

gjlWEk9
https://imgur.com/gjlWEk9

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I never disputed which was larger. If you compare the SC600 MKIV HI to the MH23 don't forget the MH23 has 400 more lumens. If you compare to MKIV sc600 then it does have much more throw. It wins either way.

Last edited:

CreeCrazy

Newly Enlightened
Just got the MH23 in the mail today. It's the same exact size as the MH20GT except has the smooth bezel. As soon as I made the purchase for this I had instant buyers remorse as I have several other lights in the same category, but now I have it in hand I'm pretty impressed and glad I purchased it. The beam profile is about identical to the Zebralight SC600w MK 3 or 4 HI, except it is cool white and slightly brighter with the smooth reflector. At the same distance from the wall both lights have the same size hotspot and spill. So if you ever wish ZL made the SC600 MK ? HI in Cool White this is probably the closest thing to it. I realize this does not have a HI led but the smooth and deepish reflector does make it a nice balanced beam. Not too throwy or to floody, right in that sweet spot in my opinion. They changed the direct access to turbo now only to a momentary output which annoys me. You can still get to turbo by cycling through the modes and it does have memory so if you turn it off in turbo it does come back on in turbo.