Thrunite TH20 question

modenar1

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

i recently purchased a thrunite th20 headlamp, but i cant find any documentation if lithium AA battery can be used. I currently have a eneloop pro in it, but i would like to swap in a L91 battery.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
The TH20 accepts 14500 lithium, which is much higher voltage than either alkaline or lithium primary. The slightly higher voltage of the L91 (as compared to alkaline) should be fine.

pdirt

Newly Enlightened
As a tangent, I may have purchased my last L91. No, I haven't stopped using them, as their lightweight and high capacity is unmatched so far.

My local recycle center accepts batteries, any kind, you can just drop 'em off in a bucket. I put on some gloves and started picking through them. Got a few laptop batteries that I intend to sort through and pull any good ones. Several NiMH, some of which are actually still very serviceable. But lots of lithium primaries, mostly AA, but a few AAA. Voltage of a brand new L91 is 1.8v. Several of my dumpster-dives are just that, 1.8v. I have no idea why someone tossed them. I've sorted them all by voltage and since these will be used in 1xAA applications, no worries about imbalanced voltage across multiple cells. I must have about $100 in lithium primaries in my storage closet now.

I just had a friend over and had an extra AA light that a company had sent me for review. I didn't care for the UI of the light all that much, so I really didn't want two of these lights around. So I gave it to him and popped in one of the salvaged L91's so he was good to go. If I had paid $2.00 for that cell, I wouldn't have felt quite so generous!

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's awesome. I'm guessing some business must have had a bunch installed in devices for backup use or similar, and decided to replace them all, just in case any of them needed it.

I've scrounged batteries from the recycling bin we keep at work before because I needed some for a use where I didn't care that it was a half-used alkaline. Nearly full batteries being discarded is nothing new to me, and I've seen a few NiMH I didn't bother to test, but never good lithium primaries.

pdirt

Newly Enlightened
That's awesome. I'm guessing some business must have had a bunch installed in devices for backup use or similar, and decided to replace them all, just in case any of them needed it.

I've scrounged batteries from the recycling bin we keep at work before because I needed some for a use where I didn't care that it was a half-used alkaline. Nearly full batteries being discarded is nothing new to me, and I've seen a few NiMH I didn't bother to test, but never good lithium primaries.

My most recent dumpster dive wasn't as fruitful. I came home with several NiMH cells, a couple C size (since I don't currently own any of those), a few AAA and several AA. Testing through them all, the two C cells are only about 1200mAh after the Opus "refresh" cycle and most of the AA's tested out at under 1000mAh. The AA's are not worth keeping, but I'll keep the C cells in case I find a use for them. For the 4 cells I've "refreshed" so far, the gained an average of 26% of recovered mAh.