Similar lights to Nitecore Thumb

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
No suggestions for alternatives, but I bought the T360, instead. I ended up losing the T360 and haven't replaced it, because I couldn't come up with a secure way to clip it to a pocket without losing it. I never used the headband.

I would likely have bought a Thumb, but my understanding is that it's first mode is high and I prefer direct access to low.

shock003

Newly Enlightened
For a similar design (anglelight/rotating head) I recommend the Rofis. I have the AA version TR15 and use a 14500. I LOVE it. They have a few other types that use 18650 I may check out the the future for higher output and battery life.

Beckler

Enlightened
Sidewinder - wow an impressive looking light. Looking for a bit smaller size tho. It's maybe 4x volume of Thumb and Compact version still bulky. Also I can see 55 Lm High being quite insufficient.

T360 - yes might be a good option, I'd not really considered it.

Rofis - a little bulky.

Thumb is quite good size and features; clipping a work light to a pocket etc., is a very useful ability but needs to be lightweight. I could also just get another Thumb but after opening it to try to fix it (flickering) I don't consider it high quality.

Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
This new product doesn't rotate but has two different sets of lights for different purposes so it may function in a desired manner. It's also very small; car fob-sized.
http://www.lumintop.com/geek.html

I like the looks of the Geek, except for the crazy ouput spacing for the side light in mode 1 - it skips from a 15 lumen Medium to a 350 lumen High. They really need an intermediate level like the 125 lumens of the front light. Other than that, this looks like a great light.

Also, I find it highly unlikely that the light could actually operate at anywhere near the max output of 350 lumens for more than a minute or two without either dropping down considerably or burning up, because of it's small size and inability to dissipate heat quickly.

Still, I like the multi-funtionality of it. I'll likely try one, if they get the mode spacing on the side light a bit more sensible.

shock003

Newly Enlightened
Ok, if Rofis is too bulky for you....check out this JUST released: Nitecore TINI
I thought you desired a rotating head sort of light, hence the Rofis.

Beckler

Enlightened
Ok, if Rofis is too bulky for you....check out this JUST released: Nitecore TINI
I thought you desired a rotating head sort of light, hence the Rofis.

That is in fact what I desire. Basically a Nitecore Thumb that actually works and isn't junk. :) I don't hate Nitecore, I have many. I find the design of some though is random and not particularly smart. Buttons and user interface is the huge one - it's never consistent or particularly logical.

Last edited:

shock003

Newly Enlightened
Oh, and to add to suggestions... and maybe temptation... And it has a Rotating head!
I JUST discovered this light Tank 007 WF01
I think I may get this for attaching to my backpack strap. I was looking for something exactly like this a year ago.
Does this help your desires that you seek? :twothumbs

p.s. After doing some digging, the light is so new it is NOT listed here: http://www.tank007store.com
But I saw a post from a rep at the store that it will be soon. I am really excited about this light.
I would prefer a replaceable battery though. like a AAA, but if it dies in the field I deal with it or
carry a portable charger.

Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, and to add to suggestions... and maybe temptation... And it has a Rotating head!
I think I may get this for attaching to my backpack strap. I was looking for something exactly like this a year ago.

p.s. After doing some digging, the light is so new it is NOT listed here: http://www.tank007store.com
But I saw a post from a rep at the store that it will be soon. I am really excited about this light.
I would prefer a replaceable battery though. like a AAA, but if it dies in the field I deal with it or

Thanks for pointing that light out to us.

The main problem I have with the Tank007 WF01 is the High-Med-Low mode sequence. I much prefer Low-Med-High, but might tolerate the undesired mode sequence to get the form-factor of the light.

I'd also like to know the Low and Medium output levels, only the Max output of 280 lumens is defined.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
CountyComm carries a couple of Manker right angle lights in AA and AAA the would do a lot of the same thing. Nothing tilts, but is that absolutely necessary?

At one time I would have recommended the Quig light, but the last one I bought had that really angry blue tint to the LEDS, and a lot of artifacts.
Streamlight has that battery pack with an LED on a flexible neck. Would that work? I believe it would for close work only.

Beckler

Enlightened

Yes sir! That's what I was looking for and this is why I posted - no way I would have found that :D H-M-L, yes I'd prefer starting Low, but can live with it - like Thumb. Question is Tank007 - never heard of it. Any good? :)

A right angle light could work, depends on floodiness of beam. Clipping to clothing is very useful for a pocket light and tiltable head is best - also for other work tasks. Opens up much versatility to go handsfree when you're not going to have a headlamp or wouldn't use it anyway. You're not going to walk into a restaurant with a headlamp on :D whereas if you forgot your light clipped to your jacket - no problem.

pc_light

Enlightened
Hi Beckler, I started a small list of similar lights here, in the second post of the thread where I sampled a couple of small rectangular lights. I can offer opinions on the ones I sampled but not the others. FWIW I only own multiples of the NC TIP. ;)

Last edited:

shock003

Newly Enlightened
Glad this matches your desires Beckler! It matches my long quest as well! :twothumbs
I've never owned a Tank007, but they are mentioned here from time to time. I don't recall anything special one way or the other.

Having this rotating head is so wonderful, not many lights out there do this... hence my original suggestion of Rofis because it was the only good one I could find.
I should mention something regarding right angle lights. Although they are awesome and I own several, but when clipped in you pocket; they will not aim down enough to light up the ground in front of you. They shoot straight froward and some spill may light the way, but not directly down without getting quite creative with mounting. I use a ZL H600 as my favorite type of headlamp, btw. So I do love me a right angle light.

Anyway, I actually can't wait to get one of these or two. I emailed Tank regarding a release, but they don't see to be so fast about relies.
I read "soon"... :confused: Guess I'll keep looking at their site...(every day): http://www.tank007store.com/

Beckler

Enlightened
The Tank007 WF01 is now for sale on the tank007.com website for $59.

Good to see, extremely expensive keychain light though! Would be nice to see review of it. Other tank007 reviews I see are all from like 5 years ago for one aaa model. :thinking:

shock003

Newly Enlightened
I received my Tank007 WF01 in the mail yesterday. I am super happy with it.
It was expensive, but the rotating head design is unique and matches my needs for attaching to a backpack strap. I was unable to find anything that fulfills the need as close to this little guy.
I do not have any fancy tools to conduct a thorough review - runtimes, brightness, etc - so I am not sure if my review would be of any interest. All I can think of is showing the operation and maybe attaching to a backpack to illustrate how *I* would use this.

It has a wonderful spill/spot combo - which is perfect for up close lighting needs.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad that you like the Tank007 WF01. I'd be interested in any review that you provide, including beamshots, after you've had more time with it.

The only other light that I'm aware of with a somewhat similar rotating head similar to the WF01 is the much larger Coast HX3 and HX4, which take 2AA batteries.

I'm still looking for a light to replace my Nitecore T360, which I lost. Actually, I lost two, because I didn't figure out a good way to carry them when I wasn't using them and they would get caught on something I was walking past and removed from my person. I really like the unique and very versatile positioning system on the T360. I never used the headband, just clipped them to part of my clothing. The clip wouldn't mount to anything very thick.

Latest posts