Hospital Go Bag (long)

LedTed

Enlightened
Hospital Go Bag (long)

The following are my recommendations / tips for anyone visiting in a U.S. hospital; for longer than just a few hours or over multiple days.

This tip is so important, I'm listing it twice . . .
Above all else, listen to and comply with all hospital staff.

I'm going to get this rolling with a staggered start by contradict myself. Except for the case of literal life-or-death, try not to visit when you even think you may be beginning to start a cold / flu - or have an infectious disease. Protection goes both ways. You may wish to or be required to wear a breathing mask.

Arrive with all the patients and kindness you can muster. You may be correct in pointing out the stupid / tragic things which led to hospitalization. Doing so during a visit may not be the best time. If you can't hold your tongue, perhaps one short visit is best.

Keep your Hospital Go Bag small and easy to stash in a cramped hospital room. Remember, you may lose this bag. Or, security may not even allow it.

If possible, bring a current list of all the patient's medications as-well-as all emergency information: DNR order, church / family / legal / personal contacts, living will. Don't forget a list of allergens!

Remember to bring your own meds and remember your own med schedule!

You'll probably already have your keys. As you won't be back home for a while, remember spare keys for both the patient's and your homes. You may need to or have someone else pick up something, or take care of plants and pets.

Bring a day date watch, but try not to obsess over checking it.

Bring pen and paper. These are useful for notes and games.

Bring a flashlight with a useful low level. For our group, I feel I don't have to get more into this.

Bring a cellphone and its charger (and / or power pack). You may be in panic mode or overly emotional, but try to be respectful and thoughtful when using your cellphone.

Leave your EDS knife at home or in the car. Instead, bring a small multi-tool. I have found one useful several times.

This may be extra but useful. Besides your outerwear, bring a change of clothes and something like a sweater or hoodie.

Bring a pack of playing cards. A family member once recklessly and needlessly got somewhat seriously (but not critically) injured. We used his peacefully sleeping body, as the backstop, during the old toss cards into a bedpan game. This funny picture somewhat put us at ease. And playing the game helped pass the time. The card toss game can be moved (along with visiting family's children) to a waiting room.

Bring cash and coins - multiple small bills and a roll of quarters. I try to have $50.00 on me. Trips to the: cafeteria, coffee cart / shop, souvenir shop, and vending machines add up quickly. So far, every patient (boy or girl, man or woman) has appreciated a small teddy bear. Magazines and / or puzzle books are great for both visitors and patients. Giving a few bucks to the kids of fellow visitors and sending those kids on a (supervised or unsupervised as appropriate) mini-adventure for snacks can be helpful in several ways.

Don't bring food or drinks into the patient's room. Even the smell of coffee can be distracting or sickening to some patients. On the other hand, the smell of food may make someone on IV suffer from going without.

Keep as quiet as possible. Several times nurses thanked me for being quiet and keeping out of their way. A few even thought I may have left.

Though especially hard in the case of emergencies, if you can, get some rest / sleep before you visit or between visits. Visiting hours get long and wearing. To that point, set planned rotations for visitors. This helps keep large, in-the-way groups from forming. And, help's ensure not just one person gets stuck visiting for extended periods.

In long term situations, find yourself an advocate for each shift. Due to changing / rotating schedules, you may have to do this multiple times.

Depending on several variables, help the patient as much as you are able and allowed. Most importantly, keep notes of: meds, schedules, and treatments! Get ice chips / water. Give back and foot rubs. Apply ointments / salves. A family member may be more comfortable with your assistance than a nurse's.

Especially to the nursing staff, show your appreciation. Remember to say please and thank you. As a show of appreciation, I suggest buying candy and healthy snacks - to be left at the central nursing station.

You may wish to share magazines and cards with, or even donate the remains of your Hospital EDC Bag, to other patients.

Above all else, listen to and comply with all hospital staff.

After your hospital visit(s) are done, you may want to donate to the hospital. As with helping the patent and bring in snacks, donating can help keep you in good graces with hospital staff. After all, you may eventually need their help.

markr6

Flashaholic
Good point about smells. People are already in enough discomfort. But who doesn't love coffee :)

Seriously though, I had a family member in the hospital once and one of the nurses was wearing that old lady perfume. I don't know it's name, but it kinda smells like incense the priest sometimes burns in church. That's not nearly as bad as the perfume but closest thing I can think of. It's an absolutely horrible smell and I have to hold my breath out in public when I walk by someone wearing it.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
All very good and important info.

Just want to add a bit about DNRs. Find out about them prior to needing a hospital and have it handy in an easy to find place, along with the other personal info. In a time of crisis that is not the time to say "oh I wish we had one" or "I can't find it". The hospital and EMS legally have to do all they can, if there isn't one physically present or its not valid. A person with a terminal illness who doesn't want to be worked up and on a vent, will end up as such, without a DNR.
As far as personal info, a photocopy of the license, insurance and list of meds/allergies is something that can be given to EMS and not have to worry about the originals.

While hospital cafeterias are convenient, look around for a store nearby, the prices might be a bit lower depending on where you are. Additionally, if you will be visiting for a while, its a good chance to stretch your legs and get some fresh air.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is actually big arguments in the medical field if that would be valid.

One school of thought is, if someone went the lengths to tattoo a DNR on themselves, they must mean it.

Another school of thought is, they need the tattoo signed by a physician and witnesses and to keep updating the expiration dates to follow the legal aspects.

Some physicians advise the family members if the patient is home and there is any questions about the DNR, to hold off on calling 911 until the patient is clearly deceased (rigor mortis, dependent lividity)