Flanged base reflector for diy light in metal project box?

lava

Newly Enlightened
I tried a search for this but didn't find much. That being said I'm sure this question has been answered before or perhaps there's a better solution that's not occurring to me...

I have a driver PCB and an LED on an eval board. They aren't going to fit into an existing flashlight body, and right now they are in a small metal project box (with a hole, obviously). That's fine, but it sure would be nice to have a reflector so the light isn't a flood. Are there flange base reflectors that I can mount on an inside surface with fasteners? Or a flange base threaded pipe I can screw an existing flashlight head onto? Surely people have needed similar parts? Google searches don't turn up anything.

Thanks for any help.

lava

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the link!

What do people around here use for reflectors when building awkward shaped flashlights in non-tubular enclosures? Stuff like what's in the link?

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I see, those of us who create torches from scratch usually do so with a lathe, so they are round. I've seen some non-standard shapes/ designs, but have no idea where they sourced their reflectors. You do realize (assuming you have access to a lathe), you can make your own reflector? It might not be 100% optically perfect, but it would fit your exact specs. A rod of aluminum, shaped how you want it, and then just work up through the grits of sandpaper/ polishing compound to get the mirror finish.

lava

Newly Enlightened
From what I see, those of us who create torches from scratch usually do so with a lathe, so they are round. I've seen some non-standard shapes/ designs, but have no idea where they sourced their reflectors. You do realize (assuming you have access to a lathe), you can make your own reflector? It might not be 100% optically perfect, but it would fit your exact specs. A rod of aluminum, shaped how you want it, and then just work up through the grits of sandpaper/ polishing compound to get the mirror finish.

Thanks, but that's a bit more involved than I'm willing to get. Will keep looking around.

Keitho

Enlightened
I think optics might be easier to integrate into some projects. The carlco website has a ton of options for beam, size, LED type, etc. They have some optics holders too, if I remember correctly.