Are there any "tactical" flashlights around 1000 lumens that have a built in charger?

spinner

Newly Enlightened
Are there any "tactical" flashlights around 1000 lumens that have a built in charger?

I've had a Nitecore E4A for a couple of years, and what I don't like about it is that the flashlight seems to be constantly drawing some current, meaning I can't leave it "off" without the batteries going down.

So, I can't use it for intermittent use like in the car for occasional use. The batteries will be dead within a couple of weeks, and always will have less than full charge left at best.

I'm looking for a good, bright carry flashlight that either can be left on a charger full-time, or have an off switch that turns off everything. Sometimes I long for an old school light that actually turns off. What I have to do is screw the back off just to turn the thing off. Replacing and charging the batteries after every use is very inconvenient and seems a backward step in technology.

Can anyone suggest a better way to handle this problem, or a light that actually switches fully off? I'm not sure how to search for this kind of issue here.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Are there any "tactical" flashlights around 1000 lumens that have a built in char

Well to start, do you actually mean a light with 1k lumens output or do you just want something with 500 or more lumens? I ask because the 1k output tends to be a bit more of a recent thing, even though there are many lights that can do it...it's usually a burst or "turbo" mode that won't last.

One light that meets the lumens and is rechargeable, Olight's new M2R Warrior.
Klarus also has one to compete with it sort of...XT2CR.

I believe they are using the same LED from Cree. Personally I would go with the Olight because of their magnetic charging system.

If you just want something with 500 or more lumens there are a lot more suggestions I could make.

arKmm

Enlightened
Re: Are there any "tactical" flashlights around 1000 lumens that have a built in char

Streamlight Strion HL.

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened

+1 for Streamlight. ProTac HL is USB rechargable and 850 lumens.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lumintop EDC25.........Forward clicky on/off tail cap switch, built in micro usb charging port. Light is similar to the Fenix PD35. Has a programmable tactical or outdoor mode. XP-L LED, good mode levels including 1000 lumens. Excellent current regulation. I think the 18650 lights are kind of big for EDC carry but the holster on this one is very good quality. If you look around this light with rechargeable protected battery can be had for $45.

recDNA

Flashaholic

I've had a Nitecore E4A for a couple of years, and what I don't like about it is that the flashlight seems to be constantly drawing some current, meaning I can't leave it "off" without the batteries going down.

So, I can't use it for intermittent use like in the car for occasional use. The batteries will be dead within a couple of weeks, and always will have less than full charge left at best.

I'm looking for a good, bright carry flashlight that either can be left on a charger full-time, or have an off switch that turns off everything. Sometimes I long for an old school light that actually turns off. What I have to do is screw the back off just to turn the thing off. Replacing and charging the batteries after every use is very inconvenient and seems a backward step in technology.

Can anyone suggest a better way to handle this problem, or a light that actually switches fully off? I'm not sure how to search for this kind of issue here.
Please keep in mind that none of these flashlights can safely be left charging 24/7 like those old fashioned rechargeable flashlights that came with a charging stand. At best you will ruin the battery within a short period of time. At worst your house burns down when the flashlight explodes on the charger.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast

Please keep in mind that none of these flashlights can safely be left charging 24/7 like those old fashioned rechargeable flashlights that came with a charging stand. At best you will ruin the battery within a short period of time. At worst your house burns down when the flashlight explodes on the charger.
I don't think that is the case. After the current decays to about 10% during the CV (constant voltage) phase, it turns off. It depends on how its designed though and its very easy to do it properly. Some may even turn back on if the voltage drops.

However to your point, it really isn't necessary at all to leave a 18650 lithium ion battery on a charger all the time. I think the issue with OP is that the E4A has a parasitic drain on the battery 24/7 but if he gets a light with a tail cap mechanical switch, that will no longer be an issue.