What's a nice single 18650 XHP35 flashlight 15k cd?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I don't have any xhp flashlights. Not looking for edc just a general purpose house flashlight that will get some yard duty. It should have over 1k lumens and 15k cd. I prefer tactical type 2 mode lights but not essential. No P6 drop ins. I was thinking of something about the size of a PD35. (not a Zebralight) Something dependable with low voltage protection that can be locked out when not in use. I was going to buy a pd35 but that's a 3 year old design. Must be something nice that's newer.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Was going to say zebralight. Sorry, can't help
Btw I think pd35 uses xpl not xhp35
Yes I know. It's a 3 year old design. Looking for something newer that is sized between the pd35 and the Armytek Viking. My Predator Pro just died. for no reason so no more Armytek for me thank you.

ven

Flashaholic
How about the acebeam L16, little more intense than you want at 90kcd though! If you want around 15kcd, i would reconsider ZL and maybe look at the sc64w(nice 4500k)

recDNA

Flashaholic
Oh no I don't mind the extra throw! I just meant minimum of 15k. I am surprised it throws so far with only 1 battery and an XHP emitter. Must have a big deep head. I will check it out. I've never owned an Acebeam and know nothing about them. Do American dealers carry them?

Ahh, unfortunately it has no mechanical lock out. Here is part of a review I read: "Anyone looking to wear this light at your side should take care to keep the tail switch from contacting anything. Lights of this intensity are quite capable of starting a fire. I will use the L16 at home, but I will be getting a different light for work use that has lock out at both switches."

I don't intend to carry it but I do like to have mechanical lock out capability.

Correction: I was wrong. It can be locked out by untwisting the head but not the tail.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Oh no I don't mind the extra throw! I just meant minimum of 15k. I am surprised it throws so far with only 1 battery and an XHP emitter. Must have a big deep head. I will check it out. I've never owned an Acebeam and know nothing about them. Do American dealers carry them?

Some should, however if i was going to invest that kind of money, i would want it close to perfect. So would look at the v54 option, you can pick your colour temp! which is always a bonus. Any issue(not read of any, i know a very good seller/popular )then easy to sort as well.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?436889-Acebeam-L16vn-Best-High-Output-Tactical-R

recDNA

Flashaholic

ven

Flashaholic
Is Vinh messing with the driver or only changing the led?

iirc , he said it was pretty much near perfect as is. Instant turbo from tail switch etc. So afaik, its stock with a little boost, LED options...........

recDNA

Flashaholic
iirc , he said it was pretty much near perfect as is. Instant turbo from tail switch etc. So afaik, its stock with a little boost, LED options...........
I wouldn't want the boost. It's already at max demand for a single 18650 imo

ven

Flashaholic
Quite often what factory spec is and what vinh measures are two different things...................vinh measures less! Its not over pushed, the xhp35 HI can be pushed harder(closer to 2500lm iirc). Now lights like the D4 is kind of near or on the limit of a single 18650.

xhp35 HI 5000k is very nice.............Just ask for no bump if it bothers you, imho its not an issue on this light. Might as well get a little more, either way turbo is going to be limited with heat. Always lower modes for any duration...........

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'm ruling out the L16. I want something less powerful that can run on a Mtn Electronics EVVA protected GA battery. I know most disagree but I prefer protected batteries. The L16 is also a little expensive.

ven

Flashaholic
Will it not run on a protected GA? Not searched to find out, but 8a or 10a should be more than enough for the L16.

This day and age, really no need for PCB's on new flashlights. IMO anyway, i know subjective , but i have not used protected cells for years. Only reason i use the odd ones are for contact(longer length). Most lights even without LVP will not power up under 3v anyway, its pretty obvious when a cells voltage is getting low if they do! . I am a strong believer in treating all cells with equal respect, be them high drain, protected or any chemistry. Its not rocket science, just basic common sense(i know common sense is not that common ), just a general comment not aimed at anyone.

I am sure you have the knowledge and understanding rec, well i will go one further, i know you have. Why are you against unprotected cells? Not saying which is better, just some applications IMO dont require them. Also, with the GA protected, it does give more options for those wanting higher output lights, yet keeping the piece of mind they have added protection in the PCB. I also believe if you need protected cells as back up, then its not the right chemistry for that application.

I dont think your going to find a light that suits, not many choices to start with ...........good luck anyway on the search, maybe a modded light might be an option.

ven

Flashaholic
Andrew and Amanda have the nitecore MH23 with a coupon code for 20% off aa4preorder. 21kcd, looks a nice light.............maybe worth a look.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ven.... I also use unprotected batteries as I find them more reliable & safer.
I had problems with protected batteries when the wrapper tore and exposed the protection strip on the side of the battery causing a short.

Gea2427

Newly Enlightened
What about klarus xt2cr, xt11/12 gt? Both come with batteries so you won't have to worry about that.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Andrew and Amanda have the nitecore MH23 with a coupon code for 20% off aa4preorder. 21kcd, looks a nice light.............maybe worth a look.
I did see that. I have the MH20GT already and I actually prefer it. It does take a protected cell so it is intriguing but I was thinking of something a little bigger with more. heat sink. Have to decide fast while it's still 20% off!
The more I think about it the more I like it. This may be it.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
What about klarus xt2cr, xt11/12 gt? Both come with batteries so you won't have to worry about that.
I just read a review of the xt2cr. Very green tint with bouncing output so although it tics literally every one of my requirements it is probably not a good choice. Excellent suggestion though. Comes with protected battery too!