Pulk Sled Hot Tenting Sub Zero Winter Adventure.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I am too busy for long dissertations so for the most part will let the photos do the talking. Maybe a short description here and there. The cold snap looked nice. Planed on Friday through Tuesday but got Saturday through Tuesday. Good enough.

W67bLxZ.png

Go!

IQIgVNv.jpg

knhB61g.jpg

OEs1QM0.jpg

ySuh2a9.jpg

6xhPDYV.jpg

Camp First night.

qnjk7WC.jpg

JoC5wtM.jpg

IqEsnxc.jpg

The "Sacred Bacon".

lEBZ7LZ.jpg

Next day needed wood and water.

inAE3bG.jpg

CDUa36n.jpg

bxPzVuo.jpg

Cr3eiEX.jpg

Not really enough snow to melt and getting water was a challenge. In fact a bit dangerous.

1UVobyT.jpg

dD57yra.jpg

Watering hole.

vGzRlpa.jpg

Getting kinda cold. The cold air pooled up in the valley. The overcast sky turned crystal clear at night creating a radiational cooling event as I expected.

cvztUPN.jpg

KFujHGs.jpg

ltdtZM3.jpg

Hungarian meats.

2FyG6CT.jpg

UNrm5aP.jpg

Field testing new kit for upcoming ultimate sub 50 dollar solar charging bugout/hiking/whatever system.

tgTOu1D.jpg

Fire being sucked up the pipe by the draft.

DuPwMwa.jpg

Stack robber.

DoVsuXY.jpg

LeT0EzW.jpg

Another day and it's cranking cold clear. The best part was the wind. Not crazy but enough to add an edge to the brisk temps.

iB0I31c.jpg

4UPU7ij.jpg

The water situation was getting a bit sporty as the rivers (two in the area) freeze up.

IyYrtvv.jpg

The old watering hole frozen over but only an inch so found a rock (not frozen to the ground which was a pain) and smashed a hole. The rock slipped and can be seen on the bottom. A few feet past this spot the water deepens and is moving fast. If the ice gives way a person cold be sucked under. So never walk out on the ice in a situation like this. You risk death.

izlwSWg.jpg

cAbZvXc.jpg

Wood for the win! My camp runs on wood, water and power. The wood and water are interchangeable as the wood stove is keeping my water liquid and potable.

JXemccj.jpg

TLBOaG9.jpg

The liner drapes to the ground adding a double wall which is both anti draft and helps create and inner bubble of heat.

tQky4PI.jpg

blM99op.jpg

Home made red lentil soup.

2e8t7wJ.jpg

On Tuesday this ship is ready to sail

1jTjFiG.jpg

This time packed the sled with a lower center of gravity.

ouBSwWo.jpg

Here are two videos which are part 1 and 2.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

Booga

Newly Enlightened
This looks amazing! I'd love to give this a try one day as an alternative to staying in mountain shelters.

markr6

Flashaholic
Got my pulk (same one) loaded and ready. Trouble is, the snow all melted!! Will be dragging it over frozen ground and should be fine only going about 3mi total.

Good times!!

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty cool. I like the vids and how you illustrated the simplicity of winter camping when it comes down to it. Once you have the gear it is very simple and seemed to be quite satisfying.

miyagi

Newly Enlightened
Fantastic! Always enjoy watching and learning from your vids. Regarding the bacon oil, isn't that really bad for you? You mentioned you need it for this expedition, almost for survival. Can you explain more on this? Get less hungry?

Woods Walker

Fantastic! Always enjoy watching and learning from your vids. Regarding the bacon oil, isn't that really bad for you? You mentioned you need it for this expedition, almost for survival. Can you explain more on this? Get less hungry?

In sub zero weather the body can consume 6000 or more calories a day. It all gets incinerated. There is one pro. Yea hardly need to go number 2. LOL!

Woods Walker

Got my pulk (same one) loaded and ready. Trouble is, the snow all melted!! Will be dragging it over frozen ground and should be fine only going about 3mi total.

Good times!!

The sleds go over leaf litter ok. I think you will be fine.

Woods Walker

Pretty cool. I like the vids and how you illustrated the simplicity of winter camping when it comes down to it. Once you have the gear it is very simple and seemed to be quite satisfying.

Thanks. It is comfortable but yea don't want to leave the sleeping bag in the am. LOL!

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to do a lot of winter camping in my younger days. I often found that weather just at or just below freezing was harder to deal with than when you got below the 25 degree mark. I think it has a lot to do with the moisture in the air. Sadly I never had a stove-in-the-tent setup to try, I nearly always set up tarps in a classic "bakers tent" configuration with the fire facing it. Probably not nearly as warm as your setup, but surprisingly cozy unless the winds really decided to kick up. I know I used more wood than you did though.

bjXuZIy.jpg

Woods Walker

I used to do a lot of winter camping in my younger days. I often found that weather just at or just below freezing was harder to deal with than when you got below the 25 degree mark. I think it has a lot to do with the moisture in the air. Sadly I never had a stove-in-the-tent setup to try, I nearly always set up tarps in a classic "bakers tent" configuration with the fire facing it. Probably not nearly as warm as your setup, but surprisingly cozy unless the winds really decided to kick up. I know I used more wood than you did though.

You are correct. 36F give or take with sleet/freezing rain/cold rain is probably with the notable exception of tornado, hurricane or lightning strike the worst weather in terms of risk IMHO. The water transfers heat around 26 times faster than air so it's not hard to see why people die in it. I have camped in that as well and it's best to hunker down. Sub zero F is easier to deal with. As luck would have it here is a video of me camping with a similar setup in exactly those conditions.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

Oh snap I forgot about the cellphone pics.

I glossed over the pulk sled travel part but that had some challenges. Nothing major but did roll the sled a few times fighting the stone walls.

x5mUtxB.jpg

Always give the suck a thumbs up. This way it sucks less.

HDybtB1.jpg

Then again the suck also gets a thumbs up cuz it's a wonder to look at.

Pa3aS7s.jpg

7emH7kt.jpg

Wood!!! The first night I found a tall thin maple sapling. In one shot I got most of my wood for the night. As I setup in the dark sweated up a bit from fighting the pulk the fuel was welcome. Sled full of processed wood is like money in the bank.

upgphTp.jpg

Dv4im5A.jpg

The inner workings of the DIY heat exhanger can be seen via glow as the secondary combustion ignites unburned fuel in the smoke. The 2 A-Frames and "H" baffle plate.

lFOfqqR.jpg

What's on Caveman TV?

Channel 1. Flames.

d8QEwJP.jpg

Channel 2. Coals.

V8NI7Zj.jpg

Sub zero and in my birthday suit as letting the layers of clothing air out on the shelter clothes line. Another use for fire. Heat the shelter, cook food, boil water and dry clothing.

Kkssl2i.jpg

Dm8aCMh.jpg

Steam coming off the water as the radiational cooling event I was hoping for occurred. Like a fire in reverse. Nature/entropy abhors a differential.

1IwPvoE.jpg

Lots of calories.

vOo3e29.jpg

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are correct. 36F give or take with sleet/freezing rain/cold rain is probably with the notable exception of tornado, hurricane or lightning strike the worst weather in terms of risk IMHO. The water transfers heat around 26 times faster than air so it's not hard to see why people die in it. I have camped in that as well and it's best to hunker down. Sub zero F is easier to deal with. As luck would have it here is a video of me camping with a similar setup in exactly those conditions.

Oh hell yeah, that is exactly what I mean, and that feeling when the fire finally catches and you know you are gonna get to dry out your clothes :)

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a blast. Nice pictures as always and thank you for sharing!

Capolini

Banned
Thanks for sharing. You definitely seemed prepared. The ONLY suggestion would be to have CAPO and some of his friends to lighten the load!! :cool:

11484017113_130801e1dc_z.jpg

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty neat. I have read some discussions about using small pack goats to carry loads around for these kinds of applications and they also seem like an interesting approach.