Another light recommendation request!

EarwaxUK

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone

I'm sure this gets asked all the time but I'm going to ask again. I'm after a "do everything" light that will fit in reasonable sized pocket. It's to replace an Eagletac P20C2 Mark II which I really like apart from the interface and all the modes. Switching between output modes is OK but you always have to go through "turbo" mode and once you've gone past the one you want you either have to turn the thing off and on again to reset it, or cycle through all the strobe modes. I really don't want or need any of these modes and I'd really like not to have to go into 700+ lumen mode to get the light into it's lowest mode.

I'm pretty inexperienced in this world so I'll do my best to fill in the checklist! Oh, and I'm UK based so I'll treat any $ as if they were £ (which they pretty much are at the moment).

Thanks!

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
Up to $100 (I think)

3) Format:
I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
or
MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)

5) Emitter/Light source:
LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
but I'm open to suggestions

6) Manufacturer:
Any of these
____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
____I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?
Any of these
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need?
I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
With Burst/Turbo mode Category

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
Wide Throw

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime:
Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed.

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box)

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
I don't know.
I don't know what forward and reverse clicky means! I quite like the tail mounted switch on my Eagletac and the twist head is fine, just too many modes

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
Yes I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
Maybe I want a programmable light.
Maybe I want a selector ring.
No I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")
No I want SOS mode. (blinks in ...---... emergency pattern)
No I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)

14) Material/Finish/Coating
Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

15) Water resistance
IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
or
IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.
None

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Except for the tail switch preference, Zebralight likely has a light that would work for you.

You can program them for any mode sequence that you like - no need to cycle through undesired modes.

They have multiple beam profiles to chose from - multi-purpose to complete flood.

I won't recommend a specific model.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer Acebeam products which I recommend the Acebeam L16 for throw, and definitely recommend the Acebeam L30 for medium throw with a lot of light output.
Both lights have a tailcap turbo mode with a side switch for multi modes.
If you hold the switch down for a second it will start in low mode, and they have last mode memory.

Last edited:

Keitho

Enlightened
I'll add +1 to the Zebralight recommendation--that is what is in my pocket most of the time (SC64 series is the smallest 18650 that I know of). For less money, slightly larger than the SC64, Emisar D4 is way brighter in "show off" mode when it turns on, for a couple minutes. For pocket carry, many people step down in size to AA lights, which others can jump in to recommend if your pocket real estate is at a premium.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the "medium" category, I recently did a "Real world review" of the Thorfire VG15S and was pretty impressed overall.
For the "small" category I'm still really fond of my Jetbeam E10R, also covered as a "Real World Reviews"-Jetbeam E10R

If you can wait a bit, ThorFire is sending me one of their brand new lights (TK05) that will fall in the same category as the Jetbeam.
It's supposed to get to me today or tomorrow but I may not get to testing it for a while as I'm down with the flu :(

EarwaxUK

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies, and my apologies for not coming back to read them sooner!

The Zebralights look interesting. I quite like that you can effectively ignore the modes you don't want to use. It seems hard to find anything other than their head torches in the UK though, although maybe I just don't know where to look.
The Acebeams are interesting - the L30 looks like quite a beast! With the L16 I'd like to check I've understood how it works. You single click the side button and it cycles through firefly, low, mid, and high, is that right? Is there a way to skip modes - like if I wanted to go from firefly to mid? Whilst looking at the L16, I also found the Klarus XT11GT - does anyone have any experience of that? It looks to be essentially the same as the Acebeam L16 but cheaper.

@zespectre - I hope your flu is better? Have you got the TK05?