It's been awhile! Any new rotary lights on the market?

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Hi everyone! It's been years since I last posted in this forum. But I guess it's true when they say "once a flashaholic, always a flashaholic" [emoji23]

Okay, I recently bought a Jetbeam Jet-U (micro?) since I found it real cheap at an onlime store. Which is weird since I haven't bought a new light in 2-3 years.

That purchase rekindled the flashaholic in me. Shorlty after that, I ordered the Nitecore MT06MD CRI. Now, I find myself looking for a new rotary light similar to the Nitecore SRT3, Sunwayman V11R and the Jetbeam RRT-01.

I found a V11R online for around $32 and I'm wondering if it's still worth the purchase? I mean, the thing was released 5yrs ago.

The reason why I'm looking for a rotary is because after all my years of owning my SRT3 (bought it when it first came out), I found that it's one of my favorite UI's and form-factor. And the capability of handling RCR123, AA and 10440s are a huge plus.

So bottom line, any suggestions for the following:

1. A modern rotary light
2. A high cri single AAA light

Seriously considering the following:
1. Lumintop tool
2. Sunwayman V11R

Anyway, here's a new family pic (a few missing in the pic are some Romisens and a Foursevens Mini). It's good to be back!
6cd792f0f9e693cb074735431a4681aa.jpg

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Have you seen the Surefire UM2? http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?410582-Surefire-UM2-Ultra&highlight=UM2

http://www.surefire.com/um2-ultra.html

It's a really nice 6 level light with a selector ring, 2xCR123 only however. And incredibly it's only $150 at Arms Unlimited. What's your opinion?

Hi John!

Thanks for your suggestion! I'd love to have a Surefire light and that certainly looks almost like what I'm looking for. Unfortunately though, what kept me away from Surefire is their persistence to stick with 2 x cr123 format. I find that it's expensive to run.

Some guys here will suggest boring the body of the light so that it'll accept an 18650 but I dont really know where I can have that done. So until Surefire makes an 18650 light, I'm going to steer clear.

I have been considering the Titan though ever sinve it came out. Just waiting for a good deal to come around.

Appreciate your suggestion though, been out of the loop for awhile, i wasnt even aware Surefire made rotary lights [emoji106]

Last edited:

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Have you looked at the Nextorch TA15/TA30?
I've been away for so long that I've never even heard of this brand...

I'm liking the TA15 AND I've yet to read the exact details. I'm curious though, how's the quality? Are they up there with the top brands?

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
HaileStorm, SF told me the UM2 will run on 2x16340s fine instead of just using 2xCR123s. And they do make an 18650 light, the Peacekeeper. I have both lights...

ven

Flashaholic
v11r is a great light , especially for $32, a must! Also the HDS rotary..............amazing light:cool:

HaileStorm

Enlightened
HaileStorm, SF told me the UM2 will run on 2x16340s fine instead of just using 2xCR123s. And they do make an 18650 light, the Peacekeeper. I have both lights...
Ah, see that's how long I've been out of the loop. I didn't even know SF made 18650 lights. Now that sounds interesting. Thanks for the info!

Regarding the tandem 16340s, arent they considered dangerous especially when they aren't charged evenly? Correct me if I'm wrong but that's according to what I read in this forum a few years back.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
v11r is a great light , especially for $32, a must! Also the HDS rotary..............amazing light:cool:
I've always wanted an HDS but they were really pricey back then. Perhaps I'll check out their site again.

Another light I've been wanting is an Elzetta. Maybe I'll get either an HDS or an Elzetta later on this year as "my last light". But for now, I'm still thinking of pulling the trigger on the V11r.

ven

Flashaholic
HDS would make a good investment, you will be looked after for life and if not for you, there is always demand for them(sell on). Another light to look at would be the acebeam T10, iirc that has a rotary UI(infinite).

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought an HDS Clicky on CPF in the Summer. I've carried it and used it every day since. It's become my "do everyting light".
While I'd not be happy to give up my other lights, this would probably be the one that I'd keep.
P

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest trying out an Emisar D4.

It's not a rotary, but it has a superb ramping UI that actually feels very similiar to an infinitely variable rotary when it comes to selecting brightness.

Build quality is excellent. Price is reasonable, and at 4200 lumens OTF, it's the brightest unmodded single-18650 light you can buy. It's also quite small and pocket friendly.

justanotherguy

Enlightened
I suggest trying out an Emisar D4.

It's not a rotary, but it has a superb ramping UI that actually feels very similiar to an infinitely variable rotary when it comes to selecting brightness.

Build quality is excellent. Price is reasonable, and at 4200 lumens OTF, it's the brightest unmodded single-18650 light you can buy. It's also quite small and pocket friendly.
just dont forget, it will get hot fast and not be at 4200 for long...

Javora

Enlightened
I've been away for so long that I've never even heard of this brand...

I'm liking the TA15 AND I've yet to read the exact details. I'm curious though, how's the quality? Are they up there with the top brands?

I'm actually curious about that myself. These lights does seem to fit what you are looking for.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

I decided to purchase a Lumintop Tool AAA for now. I want to see if I can live with the mid-high-low UI. And it's only $17.

More expensive lights will have to take a back seat for now since I just bought a SAK Minichamp and a SAK Classic Limited on impulse. Will probably end up getting the v11r or something with a Nichia 219B next month if the price is still the same.

Again, thank you to everyone for your suggestions!

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TA15 has my curiosity piqued with this feature: "Compatible with AA/CR123A/14500/ 16340 batteries." Added it to my Amazon wish list. :)

HaileStorm

Enlightened
The TA15 has my curiosity piqued with this feature: "Compatible with AA/CR123A/14500/ 16340 batteries." Added it to my Amazon wish list. :)
I didnt see that part... must include some sort of extension tube or battery sleeve of sorts. Im curious about the quality of this light. Kindlu update us if you decide to pull the trigger [emoji4]

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didnt see that part... must include some sort of extension tube or battery sleeve of sorts. Im curious about the quality of this light. Kindlu update us if you decide to pull the trigger [emoji4]

Will do.