Good zoom host?

Rifter

Enlightened
Hello all, been out of the flashaholic game for a while. Like a decade, moved onto other hobbies like building lasers lol. I briefly got back into flashlights 3-4 years ago just long enough to buy a Xsearchervn modified by vinhnguyen54(thanks bud still works great!)

Anyways for Christmas i got a cheap flashlight(like 5$ cheap) thats got a lens that moves in and out a good 1-2" as you turn the head letting you go from total flood to so tight a beam that you can see the die of the LED on the wall you are pointing the light at. This got me thinking about a new light and im slipping back into the flashlight game....

I want to build a zoomable light with a new LED, as LED tech has progressed a lot in the last decade i see, when i left luxeon star ruled the day the 1w 3w and 5w versions, now cree seems to be all the rage, or nichia for high CRI.

Anyways onto the point, looking for a zoom-able host that can handle the heat from a very high output LED, such as a Cree XPH70.2

2-4 Cell would be ideal, 18650 preferred as i own dozens already but ill buy some 26650 if needed. No preference on shape can be 2-3 cell in a row or 3-4 cell coke can style.

Having an available driver that fits the host would be nice to save time, but i am capable of making my own if it comes to it.

Any suggestions?

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The most high-quality one I now of is the Jax Z1. It takes 1-2 26650s and has a thick pill. A standard 17mm driver will fit into it. Here I describe my modded one. At 30W it quickly gets hot, maybe 1.5-2min.

The Uniqurefire 1508 with 75mm lens head would also be an option.

Both can take a lot of heat, but a XHP70.2 at very high power levels will still be too much. I don't think there are any zoomies which can continuously take >30W.

The best I have ever seen is a Varapower Turbo v2/v3 with an SST-90 LED at 50W and an aspheric lens in the head. Outside it could run for a few minutes before it got too hot. It had large, very heavy chunk if copper inside and LED mounted directly on it.

Modding an LED Lenser M17 might also be an option. It's their biggest light with only one LED.

Last edited: