New member intro and first question

tanakasan

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, new member here! Great resources here for learning, been buried since joining yesterday!

So I have an LAPG Operator L2 730 Lumens for a year. Was a gift from my BIL last Christmas. It is my first 18650 light. Wow, its nice! There are a couple little issues after living with it for a year so...

Was looking at the Fenix PD35 Tac and am very interested. Any opinions or other recommendations for me? I tried a search but it is disabled until I get three posts or an OK from the brass.

Thanks in advance!

Robert

tanakasan

Newly Enlightened
I dislike the tailcap switch and method of choosing the brightness on the LAPG L2. It is vague and often times accidentally changes (switch bounce) the brightness setting requiring clicking thru them to get back to where it was.

On the Fenix PD35 Tac, I see a dedicated on/off tailcap with a secondary button to select the brightness...in outdoor mode. It will be for EDC and "on set" use, not LE/service use.

Robert

tanakasan

Newly Enlightened
$100-ish

Yes, the PD35 Tac seems to be a well rounded light. I also see great reviews of the Emisar D4 after searching a bit. I am not up on the latest tech so appreciate any recommendations you may have for a single 18650 unit!

Robert

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Emisar products are a steal at their price point. I don't personally own one, but I have it on good authority that the user interface is first rate. I'll most likely end up with one this year. May I ask what this device will be primarily used for?

Sometimes there are other factors besides luminosity and user interface. For example, some flashlight junkies, including me, prefer solid reliability over maximum output. My favorite 1x18650 light is a Malkoff M61HOT. It boasts 500 honest OTF lumens and it is essentially unbreakable. Love it. Unfortunately, it comes in over budget.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
don't forget about zebralight. they are a bit more into more compact sizing with great output/runtime and very budget friendly.

I used to own a pd35 tac, gave it to my dad. There is a model similar from fenix that the fenix crowd prefers over the pd35, can't recall the model# but it's a pd as well (might be the 25 or 32)

I would also recommend eagtac if that is the style of light you are looking for. There are just so many options.

I will let other guide you in the right direction

tanakasan

Newly Enlightened
Mainly for EDC.

I work in Special FX/Creature FX for movies and commercials. The LAPG L2 light I currently have is at the larger end size wise for me at approx. 5.3" L x 1.0" D but is OK as I carry in rear shorts pocket. I use it to see into mechs, general use lighting while on set and searching for things around the shop. The many brightness levels are a plus. The tailcap style switch seems to work best for me.

If it was not such a hit and miss switch and level setting, it would be fine. I just does not repeatably come back every time to the last used setting. I find myself turning it on and having to cycle through brightness settings almost every time to get back to a good setting.

As you mentioned, reliability and repeatability is a big selling point. I just wanted to be somewhat conservative as to costs, especially now while I am learning.

Robert

tanakasan

Newly Enlightened
A less costly option would be a Thrunite TN12. I used to own one. You can also choose your beam tint.

don't forget about zebralight. they are a bit more into more compact sizing with great output/runtime and very budget friendly.

I used to own a pd35 tac, gave it to my dad. There is a model similar from fenix that the fenix crowd prefers over the pd35, can't recall the model# but it's a pd as well (might be the 25 or 32)

I would also recommend eagtac if that is the style of light you are looking for. There are just so many options.

I will let other guide you in the right direction
Thank you both for the suggestions! I will research deeper on these mfrs. and models.

Robert

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!!! Are you trying to stay with the 18650 batteries? There are lots of options lately in the AA catagory that put out quite a bit of light 300+ lumens (500+ with 14500 li-ion rechargeable). This would allow you to carry a smaller light if you don't need long runtimes at max output. You said you prefer tail switches, the Zebralights are all side switch lights IIRC. Nitecore also has a model similiar to the Fenix mentioned above called the MH12. If you need to see proper colors (like Special FX makeup or props) then you will need a light with high CRI.

tanakasan

Newly Enlightened
First, I would like to thank Modernflame, INFRNL and GRAY LITNIN for your tips and recommendations!

I have been studying and researching for the last week and finally ended up with the Fenix PD35 Tac and Thrunite 2016 TN12. I purchased both as they ended up budget wise at $105 for the pair. I had also considered the Nitecore P12.

All are essentially the same size and form factor as my current EDC which I am used to carrying. Each have similar but slightly different features. I crossed the PD12 off as it has a slightly older XM-L2 although the voltage readout LED was very tempting.

Both the Fenix and Thrunite are essentially the same light, basic difference being the output spread between levels. A noticeable difference is the amount the side button protrudes out from the head. Fenix is near flush while the Thrunite stands out a bit. I am leaning towards the Thrunite in this respect as the button is easier to find by feel at night. Both have much better UI's than my current light. They are positive and reliable in my short time living with them and they seem to return to the last used setting every time without fail, which was the major complaint of my current light.

One last observation; the Fenix is only available as CW, the Thrunite can be had as CW or NW. I ordered both in CW but compared to the Fenix and my existing CW light, the Thrunite seems visibly more neutral/yellow. I checked my order and the box, and both say CW. Is such a difference in color normal and to be expected? Or did I get a mislabeled item? Should I just keep it as my first NW variation?! :eek:

Again, thanks for your help!

Robert

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
One last observation; the Fenix is only available as CW, the Thrunite can be had as CW or NW. I ordered both in CW but compared to the Fenix and my existing CW light, the Thrunite seems visibly more neutral/yellow. I checked my order and the box, and both say CW. Is such a difference in color normal and to be expected? Or did I get a mislabeled item? Should I just keep it as my first NW variation?! :eek:

Well, there is the phenomenon we call the "tint lottery." No two LEDs, even from the same bin, are precisely identical. You're very likely to see tint variations in two otherwise identical flashlights when they are held side by side.

My TN12 was the NW version, but it was on the cool end of neutral. Can you post a side by side beam shot so we can see the difference in the beams? It would help to know exactly how much they differ.

tanakasan

Newly Enlightened
Ah, the tint lottery! I can just imagine that LEDs, manufactured in such large quantities, are subject to many variations.

Cannot do a beam shot as the Thrunite TN12 went back. It was essentially the same, size wise and functionally, as the Fenix PD35 Tac that I am enjoying as it is a much more solid and consistent than my previous light. And I like the 5 light levels available.

However, in place of the TN12, I have ordered an Emisar D4. Smooth grey with Nichia 219C emitters. I figured instead of keeping the TN12 and never really knowing if the CW XM-L was within spec or an aberration, I would just get a known quantity in the Nichia 219C with 90 CRI and NW around 5000K. And that D4 sure is an interesting offering…size, power, excellent UI, price, quality fittings...I just had to order one.

Now the two week wait begins. Is this how it starts?! Haha! Thanks again for all your help so far!

Robert

tanakasan

Newly Enlightened
The D4 looks like a Cold War era Soviet spy EDC. Ugly little toad...

I kind of agree with you. D4 is comparable to zebralight SC600 series in size and outout. But it appears to me overly simple...
I agree! D4 definitely stands out in a crowd.

Cold War era stark, simplistic, functional build? Yeah! I'm in! I also enjoy the vehicles from the 40's/50's/60's for the same reasons.

I like the odd and unusual…I drive a Gen1 Scion xB. The toaster, refrigerator, box…the names are many. It is simple, unusual and stands out in a crowd. The D4 has that same attraction for me. I cannot wait to have it in hand!

Robert