Help! My Sonata H7 lowbeam light bulb is single prong instead of double...

oldman3

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, newbie here and own a '09 Hyundai Sonata 3.3L LTD. Purchased this H7 LED (https://www.аmаzоn.cоm/dp/В01KFВРСYС) and found my bulb has single prong instead of double like other Sonatas according to Youtube videos.

In other words the normal H7 LED would fit other Sonatas of the same year but not mine....:( maybe cuz' mine's V6 LTD?

Mine's like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8a2w1CGFPU (you can see the base of the bulb at around 55")

Does anyone know any single prong LED for my Sonata?

Would appreciate any input, thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Welcome to the board.

You need to immediately return (or discard) that "H7 LED" thing you bought. It is not a legitimate, effective, safe, or legal product, no matter what brand it was sold under or what claims were made for it. "LED bulbs" and "HID kits" do not ever work safely in halogen headlamps; that's why they're (all) illegal.

The bulb shown in the video is an H1. Your Sonata uses H1 for the high beam. The best H1 bulb right now is this one. The low beam uses an H11b bulb, not an H7 (at least on the US + Canada-spec models; you don't mention where you are located, but I am assuming it's one of those two countries). Some owners modify the bulb seat so as to use the more popular H11 bulb, which is the same as the H11b but with a conventional socket instead of the H11b's "one touch" connection integral with the bulb seat. There's a writeup posted here. The best H11 bulb right now is this one.

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all, newbie here and own a '09 Hyundai Sonata 3.3L LTD. Purchased this H7 LED (from Amaon) and found my bulb has single prong instead of double like other Sonatas according to Youtube videos.

In other words the normal H7 LED would fit other Sonatas of the same year but not mine....:( maybe cuz' mine's V6 LTD?
Even if what you got physically fit and had the right electrical connections, it's not a legitimate product. These devices do not result in a beam that is useful for you as a driver, and they'll produce too much glare for other drivers. Furthermore, those products are illegal to manufacture in or import into the United States, as well as to introduce into interstate commerce.

The best bulbs you can use in your Sonata are as -Virgil- described.

oldman3

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, the H7 is going back to the seller...

If you don't mind me asking, why is H11 more popular than H11b, can I just buy H11b like this one?

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys, the H7 is going back to the seller...
:thumbsup:

can I just buy H11b like this one?
You can if you want a bulb with potentially poor beam focus due to lower precision in the filament construction and placement, and with lower output because of the blue coating on the entire envelope of the bulb. But you're looking for an upgrade, not a downgrade.

The modification to use the H11 in an H11b lamp is straightforward and lets you use the excellent H11-55NHX; there's no H11b variant of that (if there were, it certainly would save you time and effort). You might notice blue *bands* on the envelop of that GE bulb, but those bands don't tint the entire beam, just the portion of the beam that is outside the main beam. It brings the total output of the bulb down to legal limits without sacrificing performance of the bulb.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
What Alaric said is correct. Do not buy blue bulbs! They are not better, they're much worse, no matter what brand they are (and the off-brand junk you pointed at is even worse than that, because it's a low-quality bulb to start with, and it's got blue glass). The blue tint blocks light that would otherwise reach the road. Take a look and see how Sylvania got whacked in court for the false "upgrade" claims on their Silver Star bulbs, basically decent quality but with the light-stealing blue glass.