Maglite LED upgrade

terryoregon

Newly Enlightened
Have you removed the bulb in your Maglite to see if it looks like the one at the ebay link? That ebay bulb would not work if your Maglite is a bi-pin xenon or krypton bulb. "Much brighter" would depend on how many lumens your getting now and whether the ebay lumens is honest.

I'd watch this YouTube video before making any decision . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK7NbWqvB-k

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I bought 10. My thinking was to LED some 1970's numbers.

First off, they weren't warm. Second, only one was actually useable because of the LED being so far off center in the other 9.

Horrible beam, not any brighter than stock.

At a buck 35 with "free" shipping you get what you pay for.
Hey, it's your money but I won't buy anymore.

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an old 3 cell maglite with the original incandescent bulb. I was wondering if I was to upgrade to a warm white LED if it would be much brighter, it says it has 60-100lm. Here is the link to the bulb https://www.ebay.com/itm/P13-5S-PR2...&sd=331599116872&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1 Thank you - Josh.
I usually discourage any upgrading of old Mag lites because there are so many better options out there these days with flashlights that are designed around the LED. But for the price you can't go wrong even if you don't get very good results. I'm not sure it will be brighter but likely it will not eat up your batteries as fast as the incandescent. Terralux was typically the go to brand and those did a noticeable improvement but they were a lot more money. So typically you get what you pay for. The price seems way cheap, but again if you don't get very satisfactory results, you're not out much money.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are so many good options for Mag retrofits that I would not waste even a buck or two on a cheap one.

Niteize is cheaper than Terralux, and it's a reputable company.

(For a high-end solution, you can try Malkoff. They have a huge fanbase around here because their products are so good.)

GasganoFJ60

Newly Enlightened
I've got a NiteIze in my 3 D-Cell. First one I got pooped out after a few weeks. Emailed NiteIze and they sent me 2 new ones. So far it's held up the last 3 years or so. It is a big improvement over stock incan. It's the best of the budget LED upgrades from what I have read and personal experience. If you want to spend some money I say get a Malkoff. It's on my list for either the trusty 3D or the 6D.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I agree with the others - you get what you pay for in this case. 60-100L isn't much, especially if you're on the lower end of that. I got one a few yrs ago for around $14, and maybe around 200-250L, and it's way better than stock incan., but not great.

However, I just ordered the lower priced Malkoff rated at 325L, but have not received it yet. I think the higher priced Malkoff is around 700L, with less runtime. Depends on your needs.

There is a decent youtube vid that compares 5 different Maglite LED upgrades.

JT

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
That "lower" rated Malkoff is sweeeeeeeet!!!

But it's cool white so it's a deal breaker for some. But man that thing is bright. You'll love it JT

Good to hear. I don't mind the cool white.

I was going to upgrade a 2D, an eventually will, but this 3-6D 325 Lumen one seems like a good all around bang for the buck upgrade for some nice old Maglites. Good balance of runtime and lumens... and $$! Should be here in another couple of days.

JT

Cosmodragoon

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know of a good warm tinted drop in for a 2D?

I'll second this question. Like so many others, I grew up on Maglite at a time when they really were a very good flashlight. I remember when LED flashlights first became a thing. I would go camping or caving with people who had them. Yes, they were brighter. They also washed everything out and hurt my eyes. So I stuck with Maglite. Now, there are more choices in LED and the technology has come a long way. I'll always be nostalgic for that incandescent glow but I'd love to find an LED that brings that color or warmth into the current century.

I'm a recent novice to the modern world of flashlight technology but so far, I rather like the Nichia 219B. Does anyone make those for a Maglite?

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEE or another photography lighting filter can be used to "warm" up the output from drop-ins like the Nite-ize. The filter is not as nice as an actual warm or neutral LED but I have had decent results with them. Mags are ideal for the filter treatment since they use a replaceable lens.