Small EDC upgrade recommendations

Kultastik

Newly Enlightened
I had bought a Refun E6 a few years ago and really liked it. It did basically everything I wanted it to do. Then it was stolen. When I ordered a new one there was all kinds of issues with it and I swapped it for another which also had issues. Returned it. This then began my search for a more reliable flashlight in the same category. Then I was overwhelmed by the sheer number of options and terms that are evidently available. Kind of wish I had stayed naïve.
This is for EDC but will be used mostly for camping and the bedside table.

Thanks in advance to anyone who comments with suggestions.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QGBNZVI/?tag=cpf0b6-20

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
____This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
____Up to $50. (Ideally)
____Up to $100. (Maybe)
____Up to $200. (Maybe ... maybe)

3) Format:
____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:
____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:
____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I am interested in assembling my own components. (Sounds like fun but probably out of my league right now)

7) What power source do you want to use?
____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
*Note I would like to be able to have a rechargable cell like a 26650 along with a 3-AAA holder. The Refun had a 3-AAA holder and a [FONT=&quot]18650 with sleeve. From my research a 3-AAA holder will fit in a 26650 without the 26650 needing a sleeve. I could be wrong. Still don't have solid info on that yet.[/FONT]

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
____I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
*Note Ill take more is it has an option for lower levels.
Yes on the Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
*Note I would ideally like a adjustable focus range

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
*Note Im more tail inclined.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")
____I want SOS mode. (blinks in ...---... emergency pattern)
____I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)
*Note Selection memory is kind of make it or break it.

14)Material/Finish/Coating
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).

15) Water resistance
____IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.
____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
*Note Red filter/Dedicated LED would be nice but not necessary.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
............. I was overwhelmed by the sheer number of options and terms that are evidently available............
Ya, that is sure the case anymore.

To be honest I haven't even heard of the Refun E6. You are right that you usually get what you pay for. I am very suspicious about lights that are inexpensive. My main goal is current regulated efficiency (ie: a good electronic driver circuit), good tint, user interface that I like and a mode spacing that I like. I like a low enough low that I'm not disturbing my wife if I need to get up in the night and I like the spacing of the modes to be proportional. IE: no point in switching to a next higher mode if you can hardly tell the difference.

I noticed that the Refun weighs 130 grams. I'm assuming without battery based on its picture. You can do better than that. There are many single 18650 lights that are very good quality and weigh under 80 grams not including the battery. I wouldn't worry about a 3xAAA / 18650 battery combo.......just go with the 18650 battery and slim that light down. Also there are very few adjustable focusing LED lights. I wouldn't let that stipulation handicap you. They will have a lot of artifacts in the beam pattern. Fenix has just barely come out with a couple.

For EDC, I'd probably get a little smaller light that is easily pocket able like a 16340/CR123A light (Jetbeam Jet-II MK). There are lots of choices there. I just mentioned the Jet-II MK because it has a pretty low "low mode". You could recharge your 16340 battery on your 18650 charger. Some guys do EDC 18650 lights. If so, you'd definitely want to slim it down with an 80 gram or under light.

In the $50 or under price range........no problem.
4 to 7 inches........no problem.
I also like the tail cap on/off mechanical switches.
I wouldn't bother with assembling an LED flashlight......not worth it unless you are way into hobby stuff and have electronic background.
A separate lithium ion charger is the way I charge. So I agree with you there. I just prefer to not have that added feature built into a flashlight.......but I will say they are popular.

I'd consider getting more than one light (eventually and as your budget permits). It's just hard to have a single light that serves all purposes. For example if you want some serious throw, you need to have a light with a flared and large reflector. Those aren't practical for EDC carry. Also you want to be able to have an emergency light in your car that isn't constantly taken out. That one doesn't need to be very expensive, but it does need to be reliable.

I think having a red LED in addition to the regular white is kind of gimmick. I have a Nitecore MT20C that I really like with a red LED, but I don't use the red much at all. I like that light because of the mode spacing, and the UP/DN mode select switch. The low level in white is already low enough. I did change the LED out from XP-G2 to XP-L though. Most of these good quality single 18650 lights can be gotten around the $40 to $50 area. There are always sales here and there.

There are some other budget lights on Amazon that are pretty good. The Atactical A1 or A1S is one. That one is actually made by Thrunite. But the low is too high for me. You may not be as picky as me so it really comes down to prioritizing the features that are the most important and compromising on the others.

Hope this helps :).

Last edited:

Kultastik

Newly Enlightened
Thanks hiuintahs for the reply. I swear I think you spent more time with your review than I did making the initial post but you have given my some more things to think about.
For EDC, I'd probably get a little smaller light that is easily pocket able like a 16340/CR123A light (Jetbeam Jet-II MK).
So I was thinking about it while reading your post and I guess I dont really use it as an actual EDC. It was more of a nightstand light and also used for camping/backpacking. So I guess I would like a slightly larger size than smaller but less weight it always nice. The Jet-IIMK is just to small for me personally.

I'd consider getting more than one light (eventually and as your budget permits). It's just hard to have a single light that serves all purposes. For example if you want some serious throw, you need to have a light with a flared and large reflector. Those aren't practical for EDC carry.
I agree I do plan on getting a larger throw sometime later, something like the Convoy L6.

I think having a red LED in addition to the regular white is kind of gimmick. I have a Nitecore MT20C that I really like with a red LED, but I don't use the red much at all.
That light does look more up my alley. Not just because of the red LED.

Thanks again for the reply!

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at the Nitecore MT10A. it is a perfect size and throws great for its size with lots of lumens for its size. Keep it out of turbo and run time is fine for an EDC light. Many carry 1aaa lights and the MT10A runs longer on a 14500 than they do with more throw and lumens. It has a red LED. Tail switch forward click.