Pocket De-lights (Acebeam UC15 Manker LAD Nitecore TIP Surefire Sidekick & ...)

pc_light

Enlightened
Pocket De-lights (Acebeam UC15 Manker LAD Nitecore TIP Surefire Sidekick & ...)

Keychain lights have come a long way since my first Photon Micro-light a little under 20-years ago at a little over $20 at the time. It seems most manufacturers now have some version of a rectangular/non-cylindrical relatively high-powered (i.e., >5mm emitter) pocket/keychain light offering these days. Some such as Mecarmy and Nitecore even offer several variants of their keychain light. With the increased efficiency of emitters/driver/batteries, these pocket lights easily surpass the illumination and run-times of full sized lights from a decade ago. Here is a quick peek/comparison and some impressions (and NOT a detailed review) of (just) four I've picked up recently.

[These lights were all purchased on the open market and I have no affiliation with any of the manufacturers or any retailer.]

:caution: Note - the LAD and TIP are not fully stock though so bear that in mind.

wmJgOMe.jpg

In brand alphabetic order (Left to Right) - Acebeam UC15 (stock), Manker LAD (actually a LADvn w219C), Nitecore TIP (w/XP-L Hi 5A2), Surefire Sidekick (stock)
TE5SQH8.jpg

Specifications Per Manufacturer for the models shown

Size and Weight (with batteries) in descending order

• UC15 (56g w/clip, 52 w/o) – about the same as some mini cr123/16350 lights, approaching small AA size/weights
  • Sidekick (40 w/clip, 38 w/o) – thickest of the group but owing to the polymer body it's lighter than its size would appear
  • TIP (AL model, 27g w/clip, 25 w/o) – slim and light and the only two buttoned light of the group.
  • LAD (25g, no clip) – smallest of the group but punches well for its size. Great choice if smallest size and lightest weight are your objective in this group of lights

Relative Throw in descending order

• UC15 (107m) (SMO and largest reflector, traditional hotspot with wide spill) – would work well as a pocket or belt backup to a larger sized light.
  • TIP (74m) )(OP with smooth hotspot to spill beam) – great backup light for all around use. Useful wide beams for shorter-to-middle distances (e.g., less than 20m).
  • Sidekick (>50m) (Maxvision Reflector with smooth hotspot to spill beam) – great backup light for all around use. Useful wide beams for shorter-to-middle distances.
  • LAD (58.6m) (OP with smooth hotspot to spill beam) – size makes it ideal as a keychain light for shorter distances (<20m)

Battery Size in descending order

• UC15 (2-AAA/14500 replaceable, variable size, I used 2x350=700 mAh) – can be used as long as there are AAA batteries available but no built-in recharging
  • Sidekick (internal 640 mAh lithium, USB rechargeable) – The Sidekick is apparently sealed, opening and resealing will be difficult if possible
  • TIP (internal 500 mAh lithium, USB rechargeable) – Can be unscrewed/opened and possibly serviced by replacing the soldered internal lithium battery pack
  • LAD (internal 280 mAh lithium, USB rechargeable) – Can be unscrewed/opened and possibly serviced by replacing the soldered internal lithium battery pack

Level/Mode Features in descending order

• UC15 (3-modes + strobe + Red + UV, memory / battery level)
  • TIP (4-modes, direct access to moonlight/turbo, memory / battery level, clip can also physical lockout)
  • LAD (3-modes + Red, memory)
  • Sidekick (3-modes start L -M-H, no memory)

Additional Features -

• TIP - Blinks Battery Level Indicator
  • UC15 - Low battery LED indicator
  • LAD - Low battery LED indicator
  • Sidekick - L-M-H on order can be reversed to H-M-L

Expense (MAP) in descending order

• Sidekick most expensive of the group 1-yr warranty
  • UC15 also expensive 5-yr warranty
  • TIP variable 1-yr warranty
  • LAD most affordable of the group 5-yr warranty

Options available in descending order

• TIP (7+ body colors, AL or SS body material, main emitter XP-G2 cool or Nichia 219C)
  • UC15 (4 body colors, XP-L2 cool-neutral)
  • LAD (3 body colors, XP-G3 cool or Nichia 219C)
  • Sidekick (3 body colors, XP-G2 cool-neutral)

On Lowest main emitter level -
Acebeam UC15 - 10 lumens (19 hrs), Manker LAD - 23 (5.6 hrs), Nitecore TIP - 1 (46 hrs), Surefire Sidekick - 5 (45 hrs)
OHRkwBE.jpg

On Highest main emitter level - (Nitecore TIP is being held down for Turbo level)
Acebeam UC15 - 1,000(?!) lumens (1min+0.75hrs), Manker LAD - 300 (0.5hr) ,Nitecore TIP - 360 (0.5hrs) , Surefire Sidekick - 300 (1.25 hrs)
pLzG4Dz.jpg

(On highest against 90 White paper)
ixu2NOG.jpg

Special level/modes (Red LED) - Acebeam UC15 (? lumens but crazy bright, 1.5hrs) and Manker LAD (low-low 1 lumens for 100 hrs) only
9Wv77nV.jpg

Special level/modes (UV LED) - Acebeam UC15 (1.2hrs) only
(Red line security feature on US$100, is considered a good indicator/test of 365nm wavelength)
fWl8GmA.jpg

Some observations -
GoodMeh
Acebeam UC15 "For maximum lumens, plus"

• Capable of running primary or rechargeable batteries including lithium 10440

• Requires an external battery charger or use of disposable primaries

• Brightest Main LED and most variety of Secondaries

• No moonlight mode and last mode accessed resets memory

• Good heat sink mass for Turbo mode

• Relatively large and weighty for a keychain light (heaviest of the group)
Manker LAD "When size and weight matter most"

• USB rechargeable built-in lithium battery. Only model of the group with a USB cover.

• Smallest capacity of the group.

• Cool or Hi-CRI main LED options and red secondary LEDs. Most variety of (hidden) blinky modes.

• Secondary LEDs limited to 5mm red for close-up and/or moonlight use

• Smallest size of the group and firm recessed button least likely to accidentally activate.

• Small firm button requires use of thumb/finger tip to activate.
Nitecore TIP "Direct access to levels; SS bodies, colors, ..."

• Large USB rechargeable built-in lithium battery with 3-level battery indication.

• No USB port cover.

• Cool or Hi-CRI LED options.

• Main LED only, no secondary

• Two buttons offers direct access to low/turbo/and last mode used (last mode retained even after using a direct access mode).

• Easiest of the group to accidentally turn on in pocket (unless clip is used). No blinky modes.
Surefire Sidekick '"The no non-sense choice"

• Largest USB rechargeable built-in lithium battery of the group.

• No USB port cover, no battery level indicator (other than step down.)

• MaxVison reflector provides an excellent balance of close-up and distance beam.

• Cool LED only. Three modes only, no secondary LED, no hidden modes, no last mode memory.

• Simple single recessed button operation. Least likely to accidentally turn on in pocket, yet still easy to press.

• Largest in pocket feel of the group (but not the heaviest).

The right tool for the job and here we have something for everyone; we really are spoiled for choice in lights these days!

As a resource to anyone perusing this thread I decided to compile the list (below) of any similar higher-powered (e.g., >100 lumen) non-tubular pocket/keychain lights. Feel free to suggest additional models for the list.

Last edited:

pc_light

Enlightened
Re: Sampling Pocket De-lights (Acebeam UC15, Manker LAD, Nitecore TIP, Surefire Sidek

There are plenty of small cylindrical/tubular pocket/keychain lights (i.e., AAA, AAAA, 10180, button cells, etc.) that are as good or better than these. Since there are a myriad of threads on those forms already, this thread is intended to focus on high powered models (e.g., >80 lmn on max, w/either lets make 'em 2xAAA sized (max) or smaller, and/or small internal batteries) that would be described as rectangular (famous last words :ironic:) -

SPECIFICATIONS

BrandModelMSRP US$Wt (g)L(mm)W(mm)T(mm)PowermAhMain ColorLEDMax(Lmn)TimeMin(Lmn)Time
AcebeamUC1559.905266.12916.310440 / AAAVariesWhite, Red, UVXP-L1000 / 2501+46 m1019 h
ArmytekZippynananananaInternal USB RechrgnaWhitenanananana
AstroluxK124.9536602514Internal USB Rechrg500White, UVXP-G325055 m4010 h
LumintopGeek59.9551603616Internal USB Rechrg530White, HiCRIXP-L35030 m143 h
MankerLAD25.9525512813Internal USB Rechrg280White, RedXP-G3 / 219C30030 m1100 h
MecarmySGN342.9038592310Internal USB Rechrg280White, Red, UVXP-G21601 h513 h
MecarmySGN529.902566.72613Internal USB Rechrg300WhiteXP-G2 S356044 m342 h
MecarmySGN765.905875.534.514Internal USB Rechrg650WhiteXP-G2 S455044 m1.55117 h
NitecoreTINI29.9913.443.325.411.5Internal USB Rechrg280WhiteXP-G2 S338015 m160 h
NitecoreTIP29.9523.560.825.413.8Internal USB Rechrg500WhiteXP-G2 S3 / (Nichia)38030 m146 h
OlightION59.95325827.511Internal USB Rechrg300WhiteXP-G232027 m190 h
SurefireSidekick79.953863.536.717.8Internal USB Rechrg640WhiteXP-G23001.25 h545 h
Tank007WF0156.993362.52711Internal USB RechrgnaWhiteXP-G22801 hna34 h
VelenoAvanti TinananananaInternal USB Rechrg350WhiteXP-G2/ XP-L / 219Bnananana
VelenoRadix TinananananaUSB Rechrg/10440VariesWhiteXP-G2 / 219Bnananana
Yarkiy LuchScorpion X840.0033622411Internal USB Rechrg400White, Red, UVNichia //1651 h820 h

• Acebeam UC15
    (images in post #1)

• Armytek Zippy (not yet released)
4Tv5k0g.jpg

• Astrolux K1
kYTwZ38.jpg

• Lumintop Geek
mh4sP1a.jpg

• Manker LAD
    (images in post #1)

• Mateminco CSF-01 (oem several brands)
b81IHgy.jpg

• Mecarmy SGN3
ulfVoEg.jpg

• Mecarmy SGN5
mOMFfSn.jpg

• Mecarmy SGN7
7gwsoaP.jpg

• Nitecore MINI
3FmKlRL.jpg

• Nitecore TIP
    (images in post #1)

• Olight ION 10th Anniversary Limited Edition
qARHrY4.jpg

• Surefire Sidekick (A)
    (images in post #1)

• Tank007 WF01
PXK9n1X.jpg

• Veleno Avanti Ti (for reference, custom light ($$) not currently available)
fO44t6B.jpg

• Veleno Radix Ti (for reference, custom light ($$) not currently available)
zBZeLtm.jpg

• YL Scorpion X8
2UhGxcN.jpg

>>> :thinking: Feel free to suggest other brands/models you think belong to this category and I will update the list if there is interest. <<<

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Re: Sampling Pocket De-lights (Acebeam UC15, Manker LAD, Nitecore TIP, Surefire Sidek

They probably don't belong in this category but two other rectangular lights are the custom SPY 007 (made by Data) and the vintage Durabeam flip-top Duracell designed in the eighties by Nick Butler.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Pocket De-lights (Sampling Acebeam UC15, Manker LAD, Nitecore TIP, Surefire Sidek

Thanks for the comparison.

Have you tried the UC15 clipped to a had brim to check for weight and security? Do you think the clip would work on a hat with a brim that's thicker than the average "ball" cap?

pc_light

Enlightened

They probably don't belong in this category but two other rectangular lights are the custom SPY 007 (made by Data) and the vintage Durabeam flip-top Duracell designed in the eighties by Nick Butler.
Yeah, I knew it was inevitable that other "rectangular" lights would crop up. As much as both are really cool lights, I think using 2xCR123 and 2xAA rule these two out as candidates.

Thanks for mentioning them though because I'm certain any thread perusers would enjoy reading about them (so long as they don't get embroiled in controversy :wink:

pc_light

Enlightened
Re: Pocket De-lights (Sampling Acebeam UC15, Manker LAD, Nitecore TIP, Surefire Sidek

Thanks for the comparison.

Have you tried the UC15 clipped to a had brim to check for weight and security? Do you think the clip would work on a hat with a brim that's thicker than the average "ball" cap?
I haven't tried on a hat brim but it would certainly fit. The clip is wide and deep.

OK, below is results after trying.
----------------------------------------

aMHpxP7.jpg

Here it is on the thickest brim I could find (~3/16"). Ironically it held BETTER on the thick brim than a thin one. On the thin brimmed hat, when I moved suddenly, the light would pivot. It held firm at the back of the clip but it wiggled slightly in the front. On the hat with the thicker brim, the brim sort of wedged into the clip and it held in front and in back. I shook the hat up/down/left/right and the light/clip stayed fixed. (I took a video but couldn't figure how/where to upload.) it was a little weighty and made the hat itself shift slightly on my head but the light itself stayed put and would certainly be usable as such.

Last edited:

pc_light

Enlightened

Veleno ... Avant Ti, Radix Ti
Ooo. Thanks Archimedes, I will definitely include these two pocket lights (or should I say pocket jewelry), they do fit the category because price was never a criteria afterall.

But in all candor, as much as I'd love to own one, there's no way I'd jangle a Veleno in my pocket. Heck I wouldn't even carry my LF2XT once it hit 3-digits$, but that's me.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great comparison review!

Of the lights listed I think I like the Manker the most. Its small size and recessed button would seem to make it the most suitable for keychain use.

pc_light

Enlightened

Great comparison review!

Of the lights listed I think I like the Manker the most. Its small size and recessed button would seem to make it the most suitable for keychain use.
Agreed.

I haven't got hold of the NC TINI yet, it's roughly the same size but lighter still for those that are weight conscious. The LAD's heft is a plus with heat-sinking when running on max and the LAD's single recessed button could arguable be less prone to accidental pocket activation. On the other hand the TINI's two buttons means more direct access modes and an extra 100lumens ain't bad either.

Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for checking the UC15 fit on a hat brim.

The Coast HX3 is another 2xAAA side-by-side clip light that I'll be checking into for hat-brim use, if it ever gets released, but it will likely also be a bit on the heavy side at 52g and I'm always skeptical about the durability of the clothespin type clips.

pc_light

Enlightened

Thanks for checking the UC15 fit on a hat brim.

The Coast HX3 is another 2xAAA side-by-side clip light that I'll be checking into for hat-brim use, if it ever gets released, but it will likely also be a bit on the heavy side at 52g and I'm always skeptical about the durability of the clothespin type clips.
Thanks for sharing about the Coast, looks like an interesting clip light. Depending on the reach you need, the COB LED might be a more friendly beam for close-up work. The UC15's beam is more traditional hot-spot with spill, usable but perhaps better for extended range rather than close-up work.

If the Sidekick is of any interest to you, there's a stainless steel pocket clip coming, looks quite substantial. Actually never mind, now that I think about it, it's not reversible and faces the wrong way for hat use.

FWIW, another clip light that I'm aware of is the Streamlight Clipmate; similar weight but slightly bigger with a gooseneck head, red led, and lots of lumens; but it's more geared towards pocket/shirt clip use.

Last edited:

pc_light

Enlightened

A member asked whether I could provide some images with the Olight ION compared to the Nitecore TIP for tint. It just so happened that I picked up an ION intending to add it to my OP group review. I haven't gotten a chance to do that yet but here's a quick compare of the tints between these two.

Nitecore TIP CRI (2017) (on left) Olight 10th Anniversary ION (on right)
jMuzG9F.jpg

Nitecore TIP CRI (2017) (on left) Olight 10th Anniversary ION (center) Nitecore TIP (on right)
XmWLT9B.gif

The ION isn't quite as blue as it appears in the photo but the relative tints are close. The ION is no doubt cool but in the short time I've had it I get the impression that colors render acceptably for a non-Hi-CRI.

Overall the ION has a nice moonlight/low and a quite capable max/hi; the infinite variation of levels accessed using touch ramping is a new and unique feature. I don't know why but I initially thought the ION was going to be larger than it actually is. It could easily disappear into a pocket but that would defeat the eye-candy value of this beauty (perhaps better displayed on a lanyard :grin2:).

Last edited:

mrsaturn7085

Newly Enlightened

While the initial design target was epaulets and MOLLE webbing, making sure it would clip on to a hat was definitely a goal :thumbsup:

The COB used is a little different in style than the majority of lights mentioned in this thread - it was designed for close-in work (within an arms reach).

recDNA

Flashaholic
Re: Pocket De-lights (Acebeam UC15 Manker LAD Nitecore TIP Surefire Sidekick & ...

Can the turbo mode be on in the Tip without constant press?

pc_light

Enlightened
Re: Pocket De-lights (Acebeam UC15 Manker LAD Nitecore TIP Surefire Sidekick & ...

Can the turbo mode be on in the Tip without constant press?
Hi recDNA, funny, we're msg realtime because I just posted a reply to your other thread on a serach for keychain lights.

Yes, the TIP turbo can stay on. simply press-and-hold the Mode/top button from Off. It is momentary when the light is already On (which silly me didn't do when photographing in my OP above.)

I EDC the TIP but for throw the Astrolux K1 is a better candidate.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic

Thanks. I will read about it