Defender Ultra Brighter with E2e Tail cap and 16650

Killer Kane

Newly Enlightened
So I got a new Defender Ultra and was experimenting.

Runs great on cr123 and 16340. I put 16650 in and it gives a bright millisecond of light and then drops to a level similar to my regular Defender led lights. Cycling the tail cap then goes to low. Well I took the head off and stuck it on my E2e with a 17650, and whoa was it bright. It looked to my eye to be a shade less bright than running on 2 16340. The 17650, I thought was the solution, so i reamed out the Ultra to get the 17650 to fit. Stuck it in and....dang. Same result as the 16650, not very bright.

So I put the 17650 back in the E2e, put the Ultra head on it and it was bright again. So this got me wondering.

I put the 16650 and Ultra head back on the Ultra body, put the E2e tail cap on the Ultra body and bam, super bright light again.
buttrock.gif
Put the original Ultra tail cap back on and dim again. So it seems that my particular Ultra combined with an E2e tail cap permits the use of a 16650 with light output comparable to 2 primaries. I'm too ocd to run it without the ultra tailcap.

So can some body explain to me what is this sorcery going on with these tail caps?
sssh.gif

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ancient SureFire secret...just kidding..

Speculating here that your E2e is the natural HA color?

My solution was to source an incan E2D body and put a Z68 on it from the LightKnot wts thread. Also early an LED Defender body (with its 2 way clip) will work. That way, whenever a cool LED head shows up at the Bay or here I can lego it onto the black body and the scoutlight tailcap has no bells n whistle current limiters.

I'll let others go into the reason why the tailcaps work differently as that sort of process is beyond my ability to explain.

Last edited:

Killer Kane

Newly Enlightened
Yep. The E2e is the natural Ha color.
It is odd that a good rechargeable battery only gives results when using the older tailcap on the Ultra.

But, I pulled the tailcap off my new Aviator and BAM, it seems to give good results on the Ultra w/16650.
So at least I can keep my LEGO color coordinated. :twothumbs