A bit of help please

XD9

Enlightened
Hello All!

I am looking to mod some of my old flash lights.... This is my first time so excuse my n00bnes! :p

So I have an iTP E50 that I want to mod..... I am trying to change the LED and the Driver...

I been looking at AdventureSports Flash Light Videos and researching over at Budge Light Forums....

I have an AVR ISP programmer, tools, horrible soldering skills, and lots of energy to start my first mod....

Here is where I need a bit of help.... Knowing what Driver size, MPCB/LED Size I need. I ask a few questions over at BLF but is been vague....

I ope here at CPF I can get a bit more clarity on what direction i need to go. Thank you!

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not familiar with that torch, but will try to help.
First, have you taken it apart and determined the size available to you for the LED board and driver? Is there enough of a heat sink for the LED to function well?

If you could post a photo or two of the internals of the head, we could get an idea of how to begin. The second thing is, what is your end goal? Just updating the output to modern specs?

XD9

Enlightened
I'm not familiar with that torch, but will try to help.
First, have you taken it apart and determined the size available to you for the LED board and driver? Is there enough of a heat sink for the LED to function well?

If you could post a photo or two of the internals of the head, we could get an idea of how to begin. The second thing is, what is your end goal? Just updating the output to modern specs?

Ok. Here is a set of pics I took...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7dPVjwB7A4BtlFNr1

The 18650 in the pic is for size reference, It actually takes two CR123.

The driver has a ramping UI and double flash when reaches the high or low.

You nailed it... I want the output to modern specs... The driver it self does not need to change as I really like the polarity protection and ramping UI but I would like to learn how to flash drivers and how to know what I want as far as drivers so if it is possible to change the driver I am all for it.
If this light cant be modded, Please let me know what I would need to start making my own... At least where to buy Hosts/Parts.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

XD9

Enlightened
Still looking for guidance! :)
Comments and thoughts are welcome :D

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
rewriting code for existing drivers is way beyond my skill set.

Your driver is huge, what is it's diameter? Once you know that, have a look at Mtnelectronics to see what drivers they have in that size range. You might want to update that LED, stick an XPL-Hi or maybe Nichia 219c in there, depending on what color temperature you are looking for.

XD9

Enlightened
rewriting code for existing drivers is way beyond my skill set.

Your driver is huge, what is it's diameter? Once you know that, have a look at Mtnelectronics to see what drivers they have in that size range. You might want to update that LED, stick an XPL-Hi or maybe Nichia 219c in there, depending on what color temperature you are looking for.

25.4 I think.... :)
Warm White would be nice.

pc_light

Enlightened
Hi XD9.

Trying to freshen up some of my older lights a year ago, is exactly how I got started as well.

The fact that your light uses an 18650 battery and has a ramping UI would indicate that it's actually not that dated.

An additional piece of information that it is sometimes useful to have is the current drawn by the existing driver (simplest is to measure battery draw) to get an idea of the potential output using your existing driver and just a straight emitter swap.

The LED looks like a Cree XR-E which is specified as having an efficiency of 99 lumen/watt. The latest generation of (3V) emitters such as an XM-L2, specify efficiencies of 170 lumens/watt! The current being drawn will give you a ballpark idea of the new output of a new emitter with the existing driver.

You might be fortunate and locate a driver the exact size as the existing one. More likely you may find yourself shaving a larger one down to size or building-up/adapting a smaller one to fit. The construction of the "pill" supporting the driver (e.g., rim supporting the driver, clearances, etc.) will impact that sizing decision.

As for programming drivers, that's a different level of modding entirely. It requires a knowledge of the driver architecture and MCU chip. If you are considering using the existing driver, bear in mind that some manufacturers set the MCU "setting/fuses" to "lock-out" re-programming. If you are planning instead to program the new driver, there is quite a bit of information available about the ATTiny based MCU on other forums as well as information on where to find publicly shared firmware.

+1 as mentioned by DrafterDan, Mtnelectronics is a good place to get some good drivers with a choice of firmware.

Happy modding.