4 X CR123A battery tube for inside flashlight?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have a couple of 4x123a capable flashlights with 4 primaries in line. They can also hold 2 x 18650 but I don't like that scenario. Trouble is batteries rattle in the wide tube. Sometimes they can even move around enough to make flashlights flicker. In the past I have wrapped them in tape but I really hate that solution.

Does anyone sell a cheap plastic tube to go inside the flashlight? Many flashlights come with such a tube for a 2 primary arrangement but not 4. Is the a 4 CR123A tube for in flashlight use sold as an accessory?

Is there another cheap solution that is more elegant than tape? I don't like putting sticky tape goo in my flashlights..

Thanks!

recDNA

Flashaholic
4 cell magazine?
Hmmmm, I don't know about that. But a pair of 2x123 magazines from Olight or PowerTac would be an inexpensive solution to your rattle issue.
I tried that once and had contact/flickering/length issues. Also not that inexpensive with shipping.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of 4x123a capable flashlights with 4 primaries in line.
Does anyone sell a cheap plastic tube to go inside the flashlight? Many flashlights come with such a tube for a 2 primary arrangement but not 4. Is the a 4 CR123A tube for in flashlight use sold as an accessory?
Can't you use two tubes inline for 4x123 ?

Or custom make one.

===========
Is there another cheap solution that is more elegant than tape? I don't like putting sticky tape goo in my flashlights.
What about heat shrink tubes?

Last edited:

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a CR123 and 18650 and maybe the actual light with you into the hardware store and check various pipes/tubes/etc. The difference between CR123 and 18650 is very tiny, so standard PVC might not cut it, but there is some very lightweight specialty tubing that might do the job. I bought some recently, I forget the exact application. Drain tube for a dehudifier or air conditioner or something like that. It was a couple bucks or so for 3 or 4 foot lengths of black pipe. It was pretty thin and lightweight.

Good luck!

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'm not handy. Don't even own anything to cut a hard plastic tube. Exacto knife use would lead to a trip to E. R. (maybe been to hardware store 2 or 3 times in the last 5 years) and already tried 2 tubes without success so I guess tape it is.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

scout24

Flashaholic
I know Oveready has spacer tubes, maybe an email to them could result in a one-off made for you...

recDNA

Flashaholic
I know Oveready has spacer tubes, maybe an email to them could result in a one-off made for you...
Ya that sounds inexpensive. LOL

Thanks though. I'm just bitter that the BOSS is so far out of my price range.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I don't like multi-cell setups ... especially with lithium primaries ... and the more cells in series, the more I dislike it :(

That said, and just brainstorming here, o-rings ???

recDNA

Flashaholic
I don't like multi-cell setups ... especially with lithium primaries ... and the more cells in series, the more I dislike it :(

That said, and just brainstorming here, o-rings ???
I probably have 4 orings..... somewhere LOL

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried that once and had contact/flickering/length issues. Also not that inexpensive with shipping.

If you still have those 2 cell magazines, you can try trimming off a bit of material at the "end cap", for lack of a better term. As long as you leave enough material to surround the greater part of the cells, it should eliminate battery rattle.

recDNA

Flashaholic
If you still have those 2 cell magazines, you can try trimming off a bit of material at the "end cap", for lack of a better term. As long as you leave enough material to surround the greater part of the cells, it should eliminate battery rattle.
Yes that would work but I sold those flashlights and no longer have the sleeves. I can't begin to describe my lack of manual dexterity. Many tasks involving cutting I won't even attempt. Learned the hard way. I mean I can cut paper with a scissors but not in a straight line.

To avoid the temptation I won't keep a saw nor exacto knife in my home.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Printer paper is sold by weight. Find some 110lb paper and cut a strip wide enough to wrap around all four cells. You will have to experiment to see if one layer will be enough or if it should be wrapped twice. Once that is decided, just use some regular adhesive tape or packing tape to hold the tube in that shape. Just be careful not to get the paper wet. Another possibility would be to cut a strip out of the side of a plastic milk carton or other container large enough to provide a strip of the right size.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Perhaps the anti-battery rattle fairy Gruzinkerbell will drop something out of the sky.... something requiring absolutely no effort whatsoever by the user.... and cost absolutely nothing.

IMG_20180117_104359.jpg

Last edited:

Enlightened
I had a 18650/CR123x2 light come with a plastic sleeve for the smaller cells so I'm sure there would be a source out there.
I don't like multi-cell setups ... especially with lithium primaries ... and the more cells in series, the more I dislike it :( That said, and just brainstorming here, o-rings ???
Didn't this person have major fears about running unprotected 18650 cells and at high current? That seems like something I remember from other discussions. Running multiple CR123 is far riskier.

david57strat

Enlightened
Dual CR!23 battery sleeves are often included, with the accessories packaged in a single 18650 light that's also capable of using 2 CR123s.

vIkBArC.jpg

This picture was taken back when I still actually bought CR123 batteries lol. I actually still have those two sleeves (and have never needed to use them), and some primary CR!23 batteries that were included with some of my 18650 light purchases, over the years.

4WQl5iR.jpg

I had this pair of Olight sleeves that I gave to another user, either here or on EDC Forums, and was happy to see someone actually had a use for them (since I stopped buying CR123 batteries, years ago, once I started buying 18650 lights.

I couldn't say, one way, or another, whether the ends would allow the proper clearance to make good battery contact, though (when used, end-to-end). I've never tried it.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never tried it, but I was wondering if you could solve your contact/fitment issues using two battery magazines by inverting one of them. This would circumvent the need to trim off any material. In other words, imagine two magazines, each containing 2 CR123's. One magazine contains two cells with the negative terminals oriented toward the "closed end" of the magazine. This magazine goes to the negative end of the battery tube, allowing the negative spring to make contact. The other magazine has two cells with the positive ends oriented toward the "closed end" of the magazine. This one goes toward the positive end of the battery tube, leaving the "open ends" of each tube to make contact in the middle.

By allowing the springs on each end of the battery tube to reach beyond the "closed ends," you should be able to complete the circuit. I've had a devil of a time trying to explain this. I hope it makes sense.

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... Didn't this person have major fears about running unprotected 18650 cells and at high current? That seems like something I remember from other discussions. Running multiple CR123 is far riskier.

To be clear, you mean @recDNA (the OP) , not me ....

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Didn't this person have major fears about running unprotected 18650 cells? Running multiple CR123 is far riskier.

Really?
Please explain...

Sorry Archi, did not mean to step on your question.
But I've read where running multiple rechargeables in series is risky too...

I just don't want to be carrying around a hand grenade with the pin pulled....

Last edited: