GOOD LED Brands?

kilogulf59

Enlightened
Over the last few years, I've replaced all out primary use household incan bulbs with LEDs. These have been purchased from several sources (home centers & Amazon) and are of varied brands. When they work, they work great, however, I've had one bulb (emitter?) give me trouble from just about every batch I've purchased, mainly burning out though now I have a flicker problem with a new LOHAS 1066l 5000k unit. This is running into money as I live in the sticks so it's generally cheaper to just take the loss then drive back and exchange it.

Are there any good brands of LEDs anymore or did this market go to hell as well???

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you can find them, the GE brightstiks are good. i have about 20 of them around the house and another 30 at my bar. only one out of all of them had an issue (buzzing) and none have failed thus far (some over 3 yrs now) most are a little over 1 yr old.

mercrazy

Newly Enlightened
i have good luck with GE.
no flicker and didn't have to modify light base.
all the Philips i've tried flickered and hummed.

primuspaul

Newly Enlightened
I buy no-brand stuff from China and have had about the same luck as you had. The only exception being that if you buy no-brand stuff, there's a small chance you'll run into downright "counterfeit" bulbs where the batch has a close to 100% failure rate. Otherwise, you'll always have a chance of running into a flicker issue. My experience with disassembling the Chinese stuff (which is likely where the brand names get their goods anyway) revealed 2 problems:

1. Using wrong components, like a 24-36V driver for a 12V chip.
2. Using insufficient thermal paste on the chip.

It's funny, but it seems the Chinese are making (poor) products NOT due to trying to save $ on components (except with counterfeit batches), so I think the same issues can easily apply to brand names.

Last edited by a moderator: