Foursevens QB2L-X functionally question/issue

the_tenth007

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I purchased a QB2L-X light head recently from Foursevens online for a good deal and have a question about its functionality.

I can't seem to hit the 450 max lumens and can only get moonlight and low modes although I am familiar with how to program this light.

I have an older 4Sevens body with reverse clicky tail cap from a Quark aa 2 turbo and was planning on possibly using 2 new AW protected 14500's but I also purchased a 123(2) body and was considering using 2 new Keepower protected 16350's.

I know it requires 3-9 volts and thought either battery combination would be sufficient but I'm not very familiar with voltage. I'm willing to buy different cells, a body, or a tail cap if necessary because I really like this light.

I don't know if anything may be wrong with it but am disappointed. I've looked everywhere online for answers with no luck so I thought I'd give this a shot.

Btw 4Sevens was one of the first brands that helped introduce me to higher end quality flashlights and will always have respect and admiration for this great company.

Best regards,

Joe

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Hello,

I purchased a QB2L-X light head recently from Foursevens online for a good deal and have a question about its functionality.

I can't seem to hit the 450 max lumens and can only get moonlight and low modes although I am familiar with how to program this light.

I have an older 4Sevens body with reverse clicky tail cap from a Quark aa 2 turbo and was planning on possibly using 2 new AW protected 14500's but I also purchased a 123(2) body and was considering using 2 new Keepower protected 16350's.

I know it requires 3-9 volts and thought either battery combination would be sufficient but I'm not very familiar with voltage. I'm willing to buy different cells, a body, or a tail cap if necessary because I really like this light.

I don't know if anything may be wrong with it but am disappointed. I've looked everywhere online for answers with no luck so I thought I'd give this a shot.

Btw 4Sevens was one of the first brands that helped introduce me to higher end quality flashlights and will always have respect and admiration for this great company.

Best regards,

Joe

I have the same 15 dollar special. It has the tactical UI so yea have to program the light to have other modes though the user can only access two with each programming. edit have you tried a 16650 as the light takes 2XCR123 as well. Mine really likes the Keeppower 2500 mAh 16650.

Last edited:
This one hits the 870 max using a AA body with a 14500 battery. Love the $15 special. Had the body and tail-cap lying around.

~ CG

UTQWBo3.jpg

Last edited:

the_tenth007

Newly Enlightened
I have the same 15 dollar special. It has the tactical UI so yea have to program the light to have other modes though the user can only access two with each programming. edit have you tried a 16650 as the light takes 2XCR123 as well. Mine really likes the Keeppower 2500 mAh 16650.

I actually bought two of the same Keeppower 16650 batteries to use on this light and have programmed it but still can't select max brightness, I get moonlight and when I cycle through the other modes medium, high, and max seem identical. I get the strobe modes and sos but no max.

I actually bought two of the same Keeppower 16650 batteries to use on this light and have programmed it but still can't select max brightness, I get moonlight and when I cycle through the other modes medium, high, and max seem identical. I get the strobe modes and sos but no max.

How did you go about putting your light into programming mode?

~ Chance

Last edited:

the_tenth007

Newly Enlightened
Hey Chance,

I rotated the head at least 4 times rapidly until it blinked, then I go through the different modes by clicking the tail cap button and once I find the mode I select it by leaving it for about 10 seconds until it blinks. I downloaded the instructions online and think I followed them correctly. Do you think I need a different tail cap or should that matter? Do you think it may be faulty?

Woods Walker

I thought it was 6 times? Edit. I think this head has burst mode so should hit 800 plus lumens unless mistaken.

Last edited:

the_tenth007

Newly Enlightened
This thing is slightly frustrating, I emailed Foursevens warranty support without much hope...hopefully whomever is taking the company over can address this.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated, I'll try and order a Foursevens forward clicky if I can still find one.

Chance, I really want to find the configuration you have set up so I'll also be looking for a aa quark body. I'm determined to get this light figured out!

Woods Walker

This thing is slightly frustrating, I emailed Foursevens warranty support without much hope...hopefully whomever is taking the company over can address this.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated, I'll try and order a Foursevens forward clicky if I can still find one.

Chance, I really want to find the configuration you have set up so I'll also be looking for a aa quark body. I'm determined to get this light figured out!

It should work without a tactical clicky. I think it just won't work momentary or something like that. I tried it sometime ago. I can't help getting over the feeling there is something wrong other than the head. Not sure what. Runs off a 1XCR123 body so should work with a 1XAA body.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right, either tailcap will work, unless your tailcap has a shaky connection somewhere that is adding resistance, and that could be it. It's easy to test for, just remove the tailcap and short between the battery negative end and the raw end of the aluminum tube - something like a paperclip is all you need. If you are programmed for the turbo mode, it should get much brighter.

If that works, take a pair of needlenose pliers and unscrew the aluminum ring inside the cap with the two dimples in it, and remove the switch and clean all of the contacting surfaces, and tighten it all back up good.

I liked this head a lot more than I thought I would too, a real beast and fits all the different tubes.

Woods Walker

I like mine as well. One pro is when using 2XCR123 Primaries it's still relevant today. The output is just as good as my other lights using primaries for all practical purposes IMO.

Hey Chance,

I rotated the head at least 4 times rapidly until it blinked, then I go through the different modes by clicking the tail cap button and once I find the mode I select it by leaving it for about 10 seconds until it blinks. I downloaded the instructions online and think I followed them correctly. Do you think I need a different tail cap or should that matter? Do you think it may be faulty?

Mine needs to be turned off then on five times to achieve programing mode. Four turns does make it flash through the modes, but not into programing mode. Ha! First time I've discovered that.

Keep trying, TT007. I'm sure you'll get er to do right. :)

~ Chance

the_tenth007

Newly Enlightened
I think mine is only 450 lumens. I believe all the $15 specials didn't have the extra burst mode. But I would be MORE than happy to get the 450! I may be wrong about the burst though...

Now that I think of it, I initially tried unused older 4Sevens cr123's when the Keeppowers and 2 AW 14500's didn't get me the brightness and I thought they were initially much brighter.

I didn't really know how to program the light at that point so I kept messing around and never got that brightness again.

I might buy some regular cr123's to see if they make a difference?!? My new keeppower 16650's and 16340's don't get me past low/medium brightness so maybe I'm not getting the voltage right?!? Maybe it requires highr than normal voltage.. Could that be the case or not plausible?

Last edited:

the_tenth007

Newly Enlightened
Hondo -

I tried it with a Fenix tailcap that I held in place but no luck. It functioned but didn't get me close to the 450 lumens even after reprogramming, just the same results as before.

I initially tried the paper clip thing but couldn't get it to do anything but I'm sure I was doing it wrong holding it between the battery and aluminum inside the tailcap. Lol. I am curious about the right way to do that in case it comes in handy another time.

btw I'm also in se Michigan in Burton (by Flint but closer to Davison)

Last edited:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, when you bypass the cap, you set it aside completely. You are shorting from the battery to the end of the battery tube (main light body), not the cap. That is the connection the cap is making/breaking when you click on/off.

Looking at the above posts, I keep thinking you still have a battery issue. But you should get full brightness from one 4.2 volt Li-Ion cell. Two CR123 types, almost any chemistry, should be more than enough.

I know the $15 QB2L-X head I ordered was listed as having burst. I have not run it on max long enough to try and notice the ramp down at the end of a burst, but it sure looks bright enough to be running in burst mode.