Lumintop Tool MT06MD

HaileStorm

Enlightened
It's been out for ages, I know. But after wanting this light for years, I finally decided to get it. I'm truly amazed at its size! Yes, it's a little longer than most single AAA lights out there but I'm smitten about having a light this size with a tail clicky... it's awesome! I got the kit version with the magnetic tailcap included for $17.

As a bonus, I'm happy to say that it legos well with my Nitecore MT06MD and my Fenix E05SS. I've yet to try it with my Jetbeam Jet-U for 135 lumens instead of 110.

Really happy with this purchase! Even happier that now I can choose whether I want to run my Lumintop Tool with a cool tint via it's stock head or run it warm with the MT06MD's head [emoji4]

Truly awesome little light! I definetly recommend it!
bf0a3acac4b3545cc0b938b1fa0e881c.jpg
9e8759f3d5318f06e9330b91da561a14.jpg

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the more exotic versions of the Tool have the option of using a Nichia emitter for the high CRI goodness. If one looks around, there are places where the basic black Tool can also be found with the Nichia emitter.

Question: Does the MT06MD fire up with the same output using only one cell, rather than the two of the MT06MD body? And the obverse, is the Tool head brighter on two AAA cells?

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received the aluminum Tool AAA with a Nichia today from GearBest. It was knocked down to 9.99, with better shipping and insurance it was 12.35. No magnetic twisty tailcap. I decided to get one for my Mom and I'm kind of jelous, it seems to be a pretty nice light, especially for the cost at the time.

I keep having to tell myself I don't need one for myself as I prefer twisties and I already have it's awesome brother, the Steel Worm with a Nichia LED.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received the aluminum Tool AAA with a Nichia today from GearBest. It was knocked down to 9.99, with better shipping and insurance it was 12.35. No magnetic twisty tailcap. I decided to get one for my Mom and I'm kind of jelous, it seems to be a pretty nice light, especially for the cost at the time.

I keep having to tell myself I don't need one for myself as I prefer twisties and I already have it's awesome brother, the Steel Worm with a Nichia LED.
Remember, you can also use the Tool as a twisty by twisting the head back and forth. That is how you have to use it when you have the magnetic tail cap. Just because there is a switch on the end doesn't mean you have to use it. Also, our favorite auction site carries the magnetic cap by itself if you want to get one.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember, you can also use the Tool as a twisty by twisting the head back and forth. That is how you have to use it when you have the magnetic tail cap. Just because there is a switch on the end doesn't mean you have to use it. Also, our favorite auction site carries the magnetic cap by itself if you want to get one.

I know it could be used as a twisty as is, but part of the appeal is a shorter light without the grippy rubber should I choose to pocket carry. That magnet is quite a nice feature as well, but I'm trying to convince myself I do NOT need this light haha.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it could be used as a twisty as is, but part of the appeal is a shorter light without the grippy rubber should I choose to pocket carry. That magnet is quite a nice feature as well, but I'm trying to convince myself I do NOT need this light haha.
Oh but you do. One in black with tail switch, one in black with magnet, one on copper, one in brass, and one in TI, all with Nichia emitter. Then do it again with the Cree emitter. One must have a complete set you know. :thumbsup:

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Most of the more exotic versions of the Tool have the option of using a Nichia emitter for the high CRI goodness. If one looks around, there are places where the basic black Tool can also be found with the Nichia emitter.

Question: Does the MT06MD fire up with the same output using only one cell, rather than the two of the MT06MD body? And the obverse, is the Tool head brighter on two AAA cells?
I wanted the Nichia version since after having tried the MT06MD, I've been loving the tint. Unfortunately, I couldn't find one locally.

The Nitecore MT06MD head doesn't throw out 180lm when used with the Lumintop's body.

Here are some beam shots:

cff3457cdf9eb27849ce8e8de2f4c960.jpg
f11352fac1020fc11bf93a3d8eacb874.jpg
f84302d27e88e2c3031696936c5da1b8.jpg
b239ff0636dcaf5cec71f8339010da0a.jpg

HaileStorm

Enlightened

I bought the Tool since I really wanted a single AAA light with a clicky switch. Although a reverse clicky, I'm really amazed by how small it is. It's like a miniaturized tacticool light [emoji106] and that clicky switch is really, really satisfying to keep clicking [emoji4]

I'm gearing up to buy another if I find one in copper with a Nichia. Or even a copper with XP-G2 will do since I've no copper lights yet. That says a lot since I never bought the same light twice. And I've been hooked to buying AAA lights lately [emoji23]

Last edited:

firsttothescene

Enlightened
I too, finally just got around to getting one (aluminum). And I have to say it is a very cool little light.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey, question for ya. If you use the magnetic tail cap and use the light as a twisty do you still have access to the 3 modes of the light or are you stuck with just one mode? If just one, do you know which one? Thanks!!

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, question for ya. If you use the magnetic tail cap and use the light as a twisty do you still have access to the 3 modes of the light or are you stuck with just one mode? If just one, do you know which one? Thanks!!
You still get all three modes. It doesn't make any difference to the driver if the on/off is coming from the switch or from breaking the circuit by twisting the head. I just like using the switch better.

Last edited:

wolfgaze

Enlightened
I'm gearing up to buy another if I find one in copper with a Nichia. Or even a copper with XP-G2 will do since I've no copper lights yet. That says a lot since I never bought the same light twice. And I've been hooked to buying AAA lights lately [emoji23]

I just recently ordered 2 Tools (Copper/Nichia) from Gearbest, they were $28 each plus I paid $2 for shipping insurance... Retrieving them from my post office tomorrow... I highly recommend you go with the Nichia models - such a pleasing light/beam profile...

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just recently ordered 2 Tools (Copper/Nichia) from Gearbest, they were $28 each plus I paid $2 for shipping insurance... Retrieving them from my post office tomorrow... I highly recommend you go with the Nichia models - such a pleasing light/beam profile...
I too recommend the Nichia versions. Since I got the drop in from Mountain Electronics with the 219B emitter, I haven't been buying anything that doesn't have a Nichia emitter or at least a high CRI rating. I was tempted by some of the sales on the Tini over the holiday, but I won't even think of it for real until they put a high CRI emitter in it.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
I too recommend the Nichia versions. Since I got the drop in from Mountain Electronics with the 219B emitter, I haven't been buying anything that doesn't have a Nichia emitter or at least a high CRI rating. I was tempted by some of the sales on the Tini over the holiday, but I won't even think of it for real until they put a high CRI emitter in it.
I'll probably order one next month, a copper with nw tint. I've been addicted to the tint of the Nichia 219 since buying the Nitecore MT06MD.

I've just pulled the trigger on a neutral white Thrunite Ti4T a couple of minutes ago. I hope the XP-L V6 has the same or warmer tint than that of the Nichia 219c.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll probably order one next month, a copper with nw tint. I've been addicted to the tint of the Nichia 219 since buying the Nitecore MT06MD.

I've just pulled the trigger on a neutral white Thrunite Ti4T a couple of minutes ago. I hope the XP-L V6 has the same or warmer tint than that of the Nichia 219c.
According to the XP-L data sheet, the V6 can be anywhere from 4000K up to 6200K, or neutral white to cool white.

That is a sharp looking little light tho.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
According to the XP-L data sheet, the V6 can be anywhere from 4000K up to 6200K, or neutral white to cool white.

That is a sharp looking little light tho.
Man, I hope it's closer to the 4000k mark. It'd be somewhat disappointing if it were around 6000k.

I actually wanted the aluminum ti4 version but they ran out of stock so I had no choice but to settle with the ti4t. It will be my first titanium light though. From what i hear, their threads aren't the smoothest.

Going back to the tool though, I also ordered a thrunite ti3 xp-l version so i could lego the head on the tool. Hoping it'd work out since i really need that firefly mode.

I swear when these two lights arrive at the door, my wife's gonna be throwing a fit. She already thinks im weird for having so many flashlights [emoji23]

HaileStorm

Enlightened
At least you are not buying TM36/TM38s or Beasts. Things like that get expensive fast.
Yeah, I never was really into huge lights. My biggest are single 18650s which I find gathering dust in my drawer. I only carry them when I'm at the beach which happens twice to thrice a year max.

I went on to buy single 16340 lights after that and found them to be a really good size for edc because of their size-to-power ratio. Until i bought my E05SS.

I figured I'd stick to 1 or 2 AAA lights instead since they provide enough power and very good runtimes for daily use while being more compact and arguably easier to carry. For my lifestyle, I think they suit me best as my job doesn't usually require the use of a flashlight.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I kinda went wild for a while chasing how far I could reach out and blind someone. I had had a Surefire G2 for years, and started moving up. First was the Nitecore TM11, then an EA4, EA41, TM 16, EA8, EA45S, and finally a TM16GT. Loved them all. Then came the P30. If it had been available when I started I don't think I would have purchased any of the others.

I don't remember how I was led to it but I got in on the BLF 348 group buys, and picked up several. After that I dropped into the Lumintop world, and have two or three AL tools and one magnetic tail cap, and two Cu Tools. Along with them I picked up an MT06 when it came out, and the MT06MD as well. So I have a lot of these lights that are just sitting around doing nothing, and I am pretty much burned out on buying anything else. The Tini looked attractive, but unless it comes out with a Nichia or other High CRI emitter it's a no go.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh but you do. One in black with tail switch, one in black with magnet, one on copper, one in brass, and one in TI, all with Nichia emitter. Then do it again with the Cree emitter. One must have a complete set you know. :thumbsup:

Well Mr. Enabler, I just caved in and bought an aluminum version with the Nichia from GB, they're 10.99 before s&h and insurance, my sister wanted to get one too, so we split the cost.

I don't really have any interest in the copper or brass versions and I'm not too crazy about the switch on the Ti version, so I think I'm safe.....for now.