Antique Carbide Headlamp, anyone ever try using one?

mbyormark

Newly Enlightened
Hey Everyone,
I've come across a vintage carbide headlamp. The carbide in the lamp is no longer usable.

Has anyone ever tried getting some carbide and lighting one of these old headlamps? I'm not going to use it a means of lighting, just want to see what it's like.

Best,

Michael

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did years ago. Calcium carbide is readily available, water is as well.
The unit we had was equipped with a "water dripper" which was non-functioning but it still lit when filled. The acetylene is a little sooty for my likes.
GL

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to use a carbide headlamp when caving as a teenager, but haven't used one since - 30+ years. They were really bright & floody. I liked them. I now use a Zebralight H600w for caving but have thought of that carbide headlamp many times.

quinlag

Newly Enlightened
I used to "play" with my grandfather's when I was a kid.
He took them apart on occasion and used a little pin of some sort to clean the orfice and told me never to do this as it had to be the exact size pin.
He also checked the seals for leaks and told me never to get any kind of oil or grease on them.
They had a little flint wheel on the reflector that used to amaze me when it looked like he would just pass his hand over the reflector and it would light.
Be careful; acetylene gas is very explosive.

mbyormark

Newly Enlightened
Very good tips,

Thank you so much for passing along your grandfather's tips these are all very good to know!

Really appreciate it!

I used to "play" with my grandfather's when I was a kid.
He took them apart on occasion and used a little pin of some sort to clean the orfice and told me never to do this as it had to be the exact size pin.
He also checked the seals for leaks and told me never to get any kind of oil or grease on them.
They had a little flint wheel on the reflector that used to amaze me when it looked like he would just pass his hand over the reflector and it would light.
Be careful; acetylene gas is very explosive.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did years ago. Calcium carbide is readily available, water is as well.
The unit we had was equipped with a "water dripper" which was non-functioning but it still lit when filled. The acetylene is a little sooty for my likes.
GL

Any good youtube videos on them? I am very curious about them. Enough, I think I googled videos many years ago, but came back empty.

Don't know that I ever have been taught their chemistry either. Much less their runtime, output. Think I read -at the time they were being surpassed- 100 lumens, but not sure for how long or how steady.