Soldering Station - Never too old to learn!

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
In all my years of tinkering I've pretty much always used either your common 40 watt "pencil" soldering iron, or one of the more powerful "pistol grip" types depending on the application.
ovgm2DV.jpg

Km398bl.jpg

Just recently another hobbyist looked at me and told me I was crazy and I needed to invest in an actual controlled heat soldering station.
I kind of ignored him until I killed my last tip for my current iron and then decided to do some shopping and after many reviews I settled on an X-Tronic station
(note, not plugging X-Tronic specifically, it's just the one I chose)

HjR7URI.jpg

GREAT HOPPING THOMAS EDISON! Why was I ever so stubborn before??? This thing is just the cats pajamas!
  1. Setting your iron to a consistent temp and knowing it will stay there (or almost instantly return there) while you are soldering is AWESOME.
  2. A higher grade soldering station like this comes up to temperature within a minute tops [EDIT/CORRECTION: 16 sec from cold to operating temp], not 4-5min like my other stuff did.
  3. The variety and quality of tips is waaaaay better
  4. Knowing that it will auto-sleep if you don't use it for a while is very good (no more accidentally leaving your iron plugged in and on overnight)

Also, I still use a damp sponge for tip maintenance, but I also splurged and bought one of these "tip cleaners" as well.
Zl3GjhJ.jpg

VERY nice! Another item I wish I hadn't waited so long to purchase for this use.

I guess what I'm saying is if you solder even semi-frequently you should do yourself a favor and get a real, temperature controlled, soldering station.

Last edited:

tokaji

Newly Enlightened
Very nice soldering station! Have fun with it!

If you need more accurate temperature, faster heating up (few seconds) and an automotive electronics certified soldering iron, get an induction one, like Hakko FX100 or Metcal MX-500/5000.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice soldering station! Have fun with it!

If you need more accurate temperature, faster heating up (few seconds) and an automotive electronics certified soldering iron, get an induction one, like Hakko FX100 or Metcal MX-500/5000.

Wait, you mean there are even BETTER stations? Oh I'm DOOMED! LOL.

Thanks for the info.

tokaji

Newly Enlightened
No, not better, just different. Different for different application. The ones I mentioned are fixed temperature ones, can't adjust the temp with a knob, but you have to change the tip of the iron to change the temp. We use them in automotive electronics rework. The fixed temp ensures we do not use any other temp beside the allowed temp.

Your station is a very nice allrounder.

Wait, you mean there are even BETTER stations? Oh I'm DOOMED! LOL.

Thanks for the info.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree about the temperature controlled soldering station. I've had a bunch of 'soldering irons' since I was a kid. After I bought a jbc soldering station my soldering world changed! The jbc heats quickly, holds the programmable temperature, and 'sleeps' when the iron is replaced in the holder. That sleeping makes the tips last longer and saves electricity. The thermal mass of the iron is incredible! I can now solder more difficult applications than I ever thought possible! The tips are made to be instantly changeable without tools! Expensive, but worth every penny! The jbc station is a serious tool!