Olight S1R or S1 Mini

Mojer

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Looking for my next light. It's either going to be a S1R or S1 Mini. Could someone explain the differences and advantages/disadvantages of one over the other? Thanks

Last edited:

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Hello,

Looking for my next light. It's either going to be a S1R or S1 Mini. Could someone explain the differences and advantages/disadvantages of one over the other? Thanks

S1r
Pros:
1. rechargeable without removing battery
2. Can run while charging from a battery bank making it feel like almost infinite light
3. Higher turbo I think
4. Can use the olight dock for perfect bedside light. The docks green light is perfect for locating the light in complete darkness

Con:
Slightly smaller battery capacity than the s1 but you don't notice it with all the light output options

S1
Pros:
1. slightly smaller in length then s1r
2. Slightly larger battery

Not much more than that.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
54d79809259b1d8e847c4e39a9b09b2c.jpg

SRB

Newly Enlightened
I have both and while i initially thought the s1 mini was the ultimate everyday carry, i have totally swithched over to the s1r.

S1 mini in bead blasted titanium and sans clip has lived in my right front pocket for months. Beautifully small and light. Bright, white light. Near perfect, i thought.

S1r turbo is blindingly bright. Recharges quickly and simply. Buy two and you never need a fresh battery. It is larger, but not annoyingly so. I haven't seen fit to remove the clip. Very cool near perfect light. Lol. I wish it wasnt so green on moonlight mode and i wish the turbo mode was part of the + cycle and didnt require two clicks. It does get hot fast. Again, lol, to be expected.

I carried the s1 baton for quite a while before the s1 mini, and the s1 mini is about an eighth of an inch shorter than the regular s1. The s1r is about an eighth of an inch longer than the regular s1. Surprisingly, they all seem natural in a front pants pocket. The s1 mini (only s1 without a magnet) is so small that it could seek out pinholes in pockets. Lol

Both are awesome and either is worth its weight in gold when darkness is about.

Last edited:

Brightfan

Newly Enlightened
I have the S10R ( bit bigger than S1R) and an S1 mini in copper.

very difficult to choose between them, they are both awesome lights, both great for EDC, build quality is outstanding on both, great U.I.

but......, I edc the S1 mini because its a bit smaller and dissapears into the watch pocket of jeans so you dont even know its there. doesnt see a huge amount of use but always there if I need it.
plus its Copper, has an amazing patina and is just the best thing ever !

S10R sits on nightstand for using around the house, dog walks etc, mainly as I dont have to use up a primary cell, recharging is a bonus for "user" lights.

sorry, I know havent helped much, you might need to get both. !

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
My only issue with the S1R is the battery which you need to make it work properly.

I have the regular S1 and the S1 mini, and I get the idea that pushed the envelope just a tad too much with theS1 mini.

I know not everyone here likes the magnet in the tailcap. To me it's one of the best features. The S1 mini's magnet is marginal. It works on proper iron surfaces, but once the paint is a bit thick or so it becomes a bit iffy. It also gets hot a tad quicker than the S1.

All things considered I prefer my S1 with and RCR123, which works equally as well with primaries if needs be.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Big advantage of using primary CR123A is flashlight can be left it the car in the winter without the battery being damaged or going dead from the cold.

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
I have the SMini in Ti, not the S1mini. I use it more than the S1R. Good thing because the wife says the tint from the S1R CW is the best tint from any flashlight she has used. She's a non junky and isn't impressed with high cri or neutral tints, but loves the S1R. So it works out because I like the SMini tint best of anything I've seen or used.

Anyway, I actually prefer the S1A to any of them. I run it with a Nitecore 750mah 14500 and it runs longer than the published times with it. A regular eneloop runs on high (220 lipumens) as long as the 14500 runs on high. The user lumen levels run forever. The magnet in the S1A is the strongest of mine and I use that feature pretty much every day. The SMini Ti is a perfect business casual light and I use it mostly for them situations. The S1A is for all the time not dressed up use. The S1R is the wife's user light now and if I didn't have the S1A I'd need a replacement. For anyone not liking the S1R battery, no worries, primaries work at all levels you actually use the light at. The turbos are inane anyway so it's not even a problem or issue. I use the special cell because it's proven tough. It has more than 70 used to dead then fully charged cycles on it and it holds second turbo as long as it did when new. So the cell can take full drain full charge use with ease and the supplied cell lasts more than long enough. Charges fast too from completely dead.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both, & I love both. I use the S1R in two ways: at home it can sit on the dock charging dock(and as Cobraman502 pointed out, the dock makes a good night light), when I leave the house, it then gets the new magnetic cap dock in the car so when I arrive at my destination it is fully charged and good to go...
The S1Mini is black copper, and I love it too. Both lights are excellent, great UI and lockout. It all comes down to your exact purpose of use. I should mention that I liked the S1 so much that I bought one in every finish and every different LED(including two in aluminum so I always had a backup for my backup. When the S1Mini came out I thought I would buy one of every finish & LED of them also, until I realized the difference in size between the S1, S1R & S-Mini did not make a bit of difference to me. I should point out that I also still use my S-10, PK Pocket Rocket and Surefire E1e, E1b and a few others...

Cobraman502

Enlightened
My S1R just disappears in my pocket. Before I got the s1r my criteria was the light needed to function while charging and I didn't need to take out the battery to charge. This is perfect for charging with a power bank while on the go. So that said, the mini would not work for me. Also the dock is what sold me. So simple to charge on the night stand. I use the included magnet charger in the car. I can use it for both my s1r or s2r.

The magnet on the light is great. As anyone who drives an suv there is never enough light in the trunk. When my dog and I return from the dog park and I need to dry him off I can use the magnet on the back of the light and stick it to the metal on the open hatch of the suv. I have as much light as need pointed towards the ground.

Last edited:

1Oldlight

Newly Enlightened
I have a S1 and really like it. Didn't go with the S1r because I'm a keep it simple type of person. I have multiple chargers and batteries so another type of charging system was not on my wish list. Don't think you can go wrong with either.

Colinlim

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have Olight S1R, is an awesome flashlight for EDC.
Easy and convenient to recharge. This is the part where other flashlight left out. (eg,convoy S2+)

S1R come with Turbo mode 1000 lumens for such a small flashlight.

And is so small that it could seek out pinholes in pockets. Lol

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Now you have another reason to buy it!

Haha it's already on the way. For some reason the neutral white is not sold on amazon and I have looked on olight when I bought my cool white version in July 2017 and they didn't have neutral white. I couldn't help myself since I found it pretty difficult to find them anywhere else.